i9-10940X
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580

What works:
Internal nvme
Internal Sata SSD when on Windows only
Internal Sata SSD in external case via USB3 on both Windows and OSX

What doesnt work:
Internal Sata SSD on OSX

The SSDs I tested where CrucialMX300 and a SanDisk, formatted to ExFat and Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Not sure if this will work but you can try adding this kext

Attachments

• X299SATA.kext.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 46
Just in case that somebody wants to check, some specs and the EFI:

OpenCore
Mojave 10.14.6
ASUS Prime X299-A II
i9-10940X
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580

What works:
Internal nvme
Internal Sata SSD when on Windows only
Internal Sata SSD in external case via USB3 on both Windows and OSX

What doesnt work:
Internal Sata SSD on OSX

The SSDs I tested where CrucialMX300 and a SanDisk, formatted to ExFat and Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
No problem for me : see here #57
I have two SSDs: Kingston for Catalina and Crucial for Monterey: see on my EFI there is X299SageSATA.kext

Thanks for all the help, I tried all the three kexts but none of these did work unfortunately.

From dortania I took the "AHCIPortInjector.kext" file, as I thought that would be the right one?

With that and the two different X299 Sata kexts, I've each time putting them into my EFI and then a reboot. I did no adjustments in the config.plist or BIOS or at any other places.

Was that the right way? I'm really having a hard time troubleshooting this. :/

Thanks for all the help, I tried all the three kexts but none of these did work unfortunately.

From dortania I took the "AHCIPortInjector.kext" file, as I thought that would be the right one?

With that and the two different X299 Sata kexts, I've each time putting them into my EFI and then a reboot. I did no adjustments in the config.plist or BIOS or at any other places.

Was that the right way? I'm really having a hard time troubleshooting this. :/

You’ll need to add a reference in your config.plist for the kext as well. It should be under Kernel-Add

I tried all the three different kexts while including an entry in the plist, but still no change.

I did notice one change however, when testing the AHCIPortInjector.kext I was suddenly able to see my Windows-Main drive which has always been invisible on OSX in the past. So I also assume I did no mistakes when editing the plist.. But no changes for X299SATA.kext and X299SageSATA.kext :/

I'm adding a screenshot of one of the 3 tries I went through, just to check if it was done right.

Edit: Also tried the SATA-unsupported.kext which gave me the same result as the AHCIPortInjector.kext.

Attachments

• screenie.png
    screenie.png
    733.2 KB · Views: 55
  • config.plist
    17.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm happy to come back with the problem being solved. The "SATA-unsupported.kext" did the job for me! Everything is working now. Thanks @djlild7hina and @Loloflatsix for the input! :)

Maybe one last thing! I'm now trying to get my TB3 to run. I got the "SSDT-TBOLT3.aml" and am trying to figure out how to config the file in a proper way.

The Titan Ridge is connected to PCIEX16_3 on the picture, but there are 5 different PCI slots on the board but only 3 are shown in my BIOS (see on the other picture).

I've also checked a tutorial on how to edit the aml properly. I am struggling to find the right port in IORegistryExplorer for editing the aml in MaciASL. The default in the "SSDT-TBOLT3.aml" file I got seems to be PCI0 RP05. When looking up in IORegistryExplorer I found out that there is no PCI0 in my case, instead I have PC00. But how to find out if RP05 is correct?

It's very confusing with those different values for PCI slots. :/

Right now I am using the provided aml in my EFI and PCIEX16_3 for TB in my BIOS, but it's obviously not working.
Btw I can't get it to run on Windows either, using the drivers for rev1 on Gigabytes website. It just won't install the software.

Any ideas where I could start?

Attachments

• SSDT-TBOLT3.aml
    2.3 KB · Views: 50
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 14.59.45.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 14.59.45.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 44
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 14.59.45 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-17 at 14.59.45 (1).jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 12.36.17.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 12.36.17.png
    967.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 12.35.22.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 12.35.22.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
One down!

ACPI names are largely arbitrary, and your X299 has a larger and braoder PCI tree than the typical consumer motherboards SSDTs are written for. Your PCI tree is PC0_ rather than PCI_; fine, why not? As shown in the IOReg shot, PC00.RP03 and RP05 are your two ASMedia USB controllers, back (2 USB 3 ports) and front (1 USB 3 type C, without switch) respectively.
Have you looked under PC01, PC02 and PC03?

Otherwise, you may save the .ioreg of your build and post it here. Some detective will find the Thunderbolt AIC in it (Gigabyte Titan Ridge v. 1, if I understand correctly).

One down!

ACPI names are largely arbitrary, and your X299 has a larger and braoder PCI tree than the typical consumer motherboards SSDTs are written for. Your PCI tree is PC0_ rather than PCI_; fine, why not? As shown in the IOReg shot, PC00.RP03 and RP05 are your two ASMedia USB controllers, back (2 USB 3 ports) and front (1 USB 3 type C, without switch) respectively.
Have you looked under PC01, PC02 and PC03?

Otherwise, you may save the .ioreg of your build and post it here. Some detective will find the Thunderbolt AIC in it (Gigabyte Titan Ridge v. 1, if I understand correctly).

Thanks for helping me out here! :)

Now as you say it, I can see it. I uploaded pics of PC01 to PC03. PC02 seems to be my graphics card, which makes totally sense as I inserted it at PCIEX16_2 (according to the plan of my mainboard from the latest post).

My TB card is placed at PCIEX16_3 according to the plan, so I would assume that PC03 would be the right place. But some keys are titled as Nvme controller, which isn't a PCI slot at all, so again I'm a bit confused. Also I couldn't find any RP0x keys in PC01, 02 and 03.

I'm also uploading the .ioreg as you said.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 20.09.07.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 20.09.07.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 20.13.33.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 20.13.33.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 20.15.19.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 20.15.19.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • iMac Pro.ioreg
    8.5 MB · Views: 42
Thanks for helping me out here! :)

Now as you say it, I can see it. I uploaded pics of PC01 to PC03. PC02 seems to be my graphics card, which makes totally sense as I inserted it at PCIEX16_2 (according to the plan of my mainboard from the latest post).

My TB card is placed at PCIEX16_3 according to the plan, so I would assume that PC03 would be the right place. But some keys are titled as Nvme controller, which isn't a PCI slot at all, so again I'm a bit confused. Also I couldn't find any RP0x keys in PC01, 02 and 03.

I'm also uploading the .ioreg as you said.

It's kinda confusing but PC03 doesn't directly correlate to which PCIe slot. From what I've seen, PC03 is usually reserved for onboard PCIe devices such as NVME slots or built in 10G. PC01 and PC02 are reserved for the PCIe slots.

Also I glanced at your ioreg so I may have missed it but I'm not finding your thunderbolt card anywhere in the ioreg? How do you have your BIOS settings setup as?

You can refer to my Thunderbolt subsection on my github

PC00 comes from the PCH. PC02 is the graphic card. PC03 powers two NVMe devices, so it must be the tree from the PCIe slot which shares lanes with some M.2 slots (x16 -> x8 + x4 + x4). M.2 takes PCIe lanes, just like the ASMedia controllers, irrespective whether they have a PCIe slot.
By elimination, the Thunderbolt AIC should come up under PC03.BR3A (just a PCIe bridge, again it doesn't matter whether it's called RP__ or BR__). But it's not there…
Is the card plugged in? Powered? Known to work? It should at the very least come up as an USB controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back