Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, so the NVME's are working great. As per @izo1 & @djlild7hina I moved all the cards around and made room.

I sustain around 1.4 GB/s after the DRAM cache is full (so usually around 75 gigs into a large copy) which is perfectly normal. Before that, it copies between the 2 drives around 2.8 GB/s. Very happy!

SO everything is fine right? ..... well .........

So I'm back to this. Right now, I've disabled GPU encoding entirely and it seems to have stopped it.... somewhat.

With it on, after it reboots randomly, I checked, no kernel panic log, so I ran:

Code:
log show --predicate 'eventMessage contains "Previous shutdown cause"' --last 24h

The code is spat back was: 5 which means: Shutdown was initiated normally, from the macOS Shut Down menu or other shutdown command such as /sbin/shutdown. This does not indicate an issue with your system.

And it's completely random when I'm running anything that uses my GPU heavily (I had Zoom running w/ OBS and it randomly reboots the machine).

So today, I tried to upscale a video using Topaz Video Enhance AI and the same thing happens. Unlike OBS, I can make it crash the exact same way doing this process. Even if I lower the GPU memory usage and bind the job strictly to the CPU.

Now, it's not heat, I run my daily workloads and it pins my 10980XE at 100% and runs all 18 cores for hours and hours and no crash. So cooling isn't my issue (my tJunction is set to 82 C in the BIOS anyway- and with logging I'm not approaching it when the machine crashes).

Is it something w/ my Vega 64 and the better question being: if I can't find any kernel panic logs, how can I determine what's causing this? It's the last piece of the puzzle to an otherwise perfect machine.

I won't be much help on this, but it's odd that software is causing these crashes.

Could you try another GPU? To isolate issues you have to go down a check list first and see what the source of the problem is.

I understand you are using CPU encoding now, but it may be related to the GPU.

I use Topaz image scaler and it uses the GPU heavily (although there is a CPU option) so definitely it may be related to the GPU.

Maybe get a 5700xt for now and swap your Vega to see if the problem goes away? You can always return the 5700xt if it doesn't help.

I won't be much help on this, but it's odd that software is causing these crashes.

Could you try another GPU? To isolate issues you have to go down a check list first and see what the source of the problem is.

I understand you are using CPU encoding now, but it may be related to the GPU.

I use Topaz image scaler and it uses the GPU heavily (although there is a CPU option) so definitely it may be related to the GPU.

Maybe get a 5700xt for now and swap your Vega to see if the problem goes away? You can always return the 5700xt if it doesn't help.
Sadly stuck on Mojave. 5700xt doesn’t run on Mojave does it? I may have to steal a 580 from a buddy.

Sadly stuck on Mojave. 5700xt doesn’t run on Mojave does it? I may have to steal a 580 from a buddy.

Ah forgot about you being on Mojave.

RX580 worth a shot, but it's no guarantee that it will work.

I think the AMD drivers got better over time, might be related to that.

Ah forgot about you being on Mojave.

RX580 worth a shot, but it's no guarantee that it will work.

I think the AMD drivers got better over time, might be related to that.
So there’s no other way to check what exactly is causing it? Getting a GPU in today’s climate is proving a bit difficult- especially at a decent price. Wanna confirm before I buy anything (most of what I can get will be final sale sadly).

So there’s no other way to check what exactly is causing it? Getting a GPU in today’s climate is proving a bit difficult- especially at a decent price. Wanna confirm before I buy anything (most of what I can get will be final sale sadly).
Are there any retailers nearby that still carry the 5xx series GPUs? Even a RX560/RX570 might do you good to test if it doesn't help you can return it at least. Or even Amazon if you can, they have great return policy. Even a GT710 will do fine, you just need to remove the GPU from the equation so we can move on down the list as to what is causing the issue.

I am putting the GPU as the first issue on hand here since you're using GPU intensive tasks and that causes a KP.

If you go to Console in Application > Utilities, see if there are any logs related to the crashes, but you said you couldn't find any so this is up in the air as to what is causing it.

OpenCore is just a bootloader it shouldn't be causing issues like this.

It also doesn't help that you cannot move to a more modern version of macOS, which usually improves the GPU drivers and increases compatibility/removes bugs with certain apps, so we're kind of limited with options here.

Are there any retailers nearby that still carry the 5xx series GPUs? Even a RX560/RX570 might do you good to test if it doesn't help you can return it at least. Or even Amazon if you can, they have great return policy. Even a GT710 will do fine, you just need to remove the GPU from the equation so we can move on down the list as to what is causing the issue.

I am putting the GPU as the first issue on hand here since you're using GPU intensive tasks and that causes a KP.

If you go to Console in Application > Utilities, see if there are any logs related to the crashes, but you said you couldn't find any so this is up in the air as to what is causing it.

OpenCore is just a bootloader it shouldn't be causing issues like this.

It also doesn't help that you cannot move to a more modern version of macOS, which usually improves the GPU drivers and increases compatibility/removes bugs with certain apps, so we're kind of limited with options here.
None of the retailers in most of Canada have any of the cards in stock. And sadly that also includes Amazon. I’m literally restricted to used marketplaces and most of those cards were used for mining and the prices are high. So there could be underlying issues with those.

I have Catalina on my 2019 MBP and do like it, but because of work, I need 32 bit apps. Today I’m going to install Parallels and attempt a Mojave installation on it to see if those apps work well virtualized.

Also, I’m still on Clover, but as you said, it’s just a boot loader.

I know that according to iStat menus- the card never ever gets above 51 degrees. I’m going to do some tinkering with it today. I can run long GPU intensive renders in FCPX and it’s fine. I do agree, I’ve been thinking it’s GPU. But what instruction the GPU is struggling with that’s causing these issues is beyond me.

None of the retailers in most of Canada have any of the cards in stock. And sadly that also includes Amazon. I’m literally restricted to used marketplaces and most of those cards were used for mining and the prices are high. So there could be underlying issues with those.

I have Catalina on my 2019 MBP and do like it, but because of work, I need 32 bit apps. Today I’m going to install Parallels and attempt a Mojave installation on it to see if those apps work well virtualized.

Also, I’m still on Clover, but as you said, it’s just a boot loader.

I know that according to iStat menus- the card never ever gets above 51 degrees. I’m going to do some tinkering with it today. I can run long GPU intensive renders in FCPX and it’s fine. I do agree, I’ve been thinking it’s GPU. But what instruction the GPU is struggling with that’s causing these issues is beyond me.

Not even a RX570 or RX560? How about a GT710 it's supported natively in Mojave. It's a cheap card you can keep as a backup or return it if it doesn't help.

It's understandable you have to stick with Mojave, so let's try to figure out what's causing the issue here.

Not even a RX570 or RX560? How about a GT710 it's supported natively in Mojave. It's a cheap card you can keep as a backup or return it if it doesn't help.

It's understandable you have to stick with Mojave, so let's try to figure out what's causing the issue here.
So I found an MSI, an ASUS and a Zotac card I can grab today. All within $80 CAD ($62 USD)

- I’m assuming these are plug and play with Mojave?

- Are there any known compatibility issues with any of the 3 mentioned above?

i’ll keep the card as a back up in an absolute worst case scenario. Lemme know and I’ll run over and pick it up today.

Hello, I'm planning to start using an audio interface from Universal Audio. Which Thunderbolt card should I buy to to have as few problems as possible with configuration/flashing ? I have original RoG VI Extreme (not Encore Or Omega). Thanks in advance for advice.

Hello, I'm planning to start using an audio interface from Universal Audio. Which Thunderbolt card should I buy to to have as few problems as possible with configuration/flashing ? I have original RoG VI Extreme (not Encore Or Omega). Thanks in advance for advice.

I think either the Gigabyte Titan ridge V1 or V2 would be your best bet.
You can look at CaseySJ's thread for info on flashing. There's a lot of good info about what works/doesn't and Casey has a Thunderbolt section outlined in the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back