Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect timing, I was just about to start typing :clap:
Problem 1: With original un-flashed GC-Titan Ridge v1.0 on your Asus X299 Sage/10G, you are unable to get Thunderbolt hot plug to work.
  • You are using SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml, but hot plug does not work.
  • Thunderbolt is enabled in BIOS.
  • Thunderbolt security is set to No Security.
  • And I assume GPIO3 Force Pwr (or its equivalent) is also enabled?
Let's focus on this first. Can you upload the following:
  • IOReg dump from IORegstryExplorer (File --> Save As...)
  • DSDT.aml
  • SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml
  • Boot log. Just type this in Terminal:
    • log show --last boot | head -750 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt
    • This will create a file in Documents folder called bootlog.txt.
    • Please upload that.

And I assume GPIO3 Force Pwr (or its equivalent) is also enabled?

From the BIOS:

ErP Ready
This item allows you to switch off some power at S4+S5 or S5 to get the system ready for ErP requirement. When set to [Enabled], all other PME options are switched off.
Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enable(S4+S5)] [Enable(S5)]

I’m assuming this is the equivalent to GPIO3 Force Pwr correct? Setting it to disabled would stop it from switching off power I assume (it’s set to disabled currently)

edit: requested files added ... although .... I think I'm now seeing the issue... I don't have a DSDT.aml anywhere on my EFI partition??????????? How is this thing even booting????

edit2: hit F4 in the clover bootloader and it generated a dsdt.aml (now attached).

Attachments

• iMacPro (IOReg Dump).ioreg
    27.2 MB · Views: 67
  • SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml
    8 KB · Views: 44
  • bootlog.txt
    114.1 KB · Views: 96
  • DSDT.aml
    125.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
From the BIOS:

ErP Ready
This item allows you to switch off some power at S4+S5 or S5 to get the system ready for ErP requirement. When set to [Enabled], all other PME options are switched off.

I’m assuming this is the equivalent to GPIO3 Force Pwr correct? Setting it to disabled would stop it from switching off power I assume (it’s set to disabled currently)

edit: requested files added ... although .... I think I'm now seeing the issue... I don't have a DSDT.aml anywhere on my EFI partition??????????? How is this thing even booting????

edit2: hit F4 in the clover bootloader and it generated a dsdt.aml (now attached).

You don't need a DSDT.aml to boot.

From the BIOS:

ErP Ready

The problem is easy to see from the boot log:

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) ACPI Error:
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [_SB_.PCI0.RP05]
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) (20160930/dswload-292)
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND,
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) During name lookup/catalog
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) (20160930/psobject-310)
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) (SSDT: TB3HP) while loading table

This of course means that the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT is not being loaded. Looking at the DSDT and IOReg files shows that your system uses PC00 instead of PCI0.

So the Thunderbolt SSDT has been modified appropriately. Please try the attached file.

However, the boot log also shows that your SSDT-AWAC is not loading (AWAC = A Weird A$$ Clock). This is not strictly necessary for X299.

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) (20160930/tbxfload-319)
kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) [_SB_.AWAC]

kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) (SSDT: AWAC) while loading table

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml
    8 KB · Views: 45
The problem is easy to see from the boot log:

This of course means that the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT is not being loaded. Looking at the DSDT and IOReg files shows that your system uses PC00 instead of PCI0.

So the Thunderbolt SSDT has been modified appropriately. Please try the attached file.

However, the boot log also shows that your SSDT-AWAC is not loading (AWAC = A Weird A$$ Clock). This is not strictly necessary for X299.

So I know others in the thread have told me to change it to PC00 and I couldn't figure out how. (Let me preface this by saying that when I was told to do this- I couldn't even connect anything to Thunderbolt under MacOS). I had issues even getting PC00 to stick when I googled around on how to alter that AML file.

So here's the results of what you sent:

Hotplug = working entirely (I can unplug the dock and replug the dock and everything just works)
Hotplug (unplugged while booting, plugging in after booting up) = working entirely

I can't even believe this. You and everybody who's chimed in are absolutely amazing.

Now the fun one. I'm going to shut down and leave the dock connected, not even going to unplug / replug the dock like I have had to typically. The one thing I noticed (before I do this reboot) is that the light on the dock doesn't even come on during the post if I don't unplug/replug. Is there something I need to change in the BIOS for that behaviour?

edit: Just tried a full shutdown and then restart without unplugging. Didn't come up. Remoted in from a different device, computer was on, unplugged / replugged the TB3 cable and it all worked as it's supposed to. So yeah, I need to figure out what it is in the BIOS on this Sage board I need to adjust for Thunderbolt 3 to kick in during the boot sequence.

Last edited:
So I know others in the thread have told me to change it to PC00 and I couldn't figure out how. (Let me preface this by saying that when I was told to do this- I couldn't even connect anything to Thunderbolt under MacOS). I had issues even getting PC00 to stick when I googled around on how to alter that AML file.

So here's the results of what you sent:

Hotplug = working entirely (I can unplug the dock and replug the dock and everything just works)
Hotplug (unplugged while booting, plugging in after booting up) = working entirely

I can't even believe this. You and everybody who's chimed in are absolutely amazing.

Now the fun one. I'm going to shut down and leave the dock connected, not even going to unplug / replug the dock like I have had to typically. The one thing I noticed (before I do this reboot) is that the light on the dock doesn't even come on during the post if I don't unplug/replug. Is there something I need to change in the BIOS for that behaviour?

edit: Just tried a full shutdown and then restart without unplugging. Didn't come up. Remoted in from a different device, computer was on, unplugged / replugged the TB3 cable and it all worked as it's supposed to. So yeah, I need to figure out what it is in the BIOS on this Sage board I need to adjust for Thunderbolt 3 to kick in during the boot sequence.
So it seems Thunderbolt devices do not work if they're connected during boot, but they do work when hot plugged?

Does the Asus BIOS have a setting for Thunderbolt Boot? On Gigabyte, for example, we have several options for this such as:
  • Disabled
  • Boot Once
  • Pre-Boot ACL
If you have such an option, try either Boot Once or Pre-Boot ACL.

So it seems Thunderbolt devices do not work if they're connected during boot, but they do work when hot plugged?

Does the Asus BIOS have a setting for Thunderbolt Boot? On Gigabyte, for example, we have several options for this such as:
  • Disabled
  • Boot Once
  • Pre-Boot ACL
If you have such an option, try either Boot Once or Pre-Boot ACL.

They’ll work on boot if I unplug / replug before the BIOS kicks in.

None of the Thunderbolt boot options seem to make a difference in the applicable Thunderbolt menu in the BIOS.

edit: Interesting observation.

A reboot (via Restart in the menu) doesn't keep the devices connected. I have to unplug / replug the cable and then it all comes back (after booting into MacOS/ and presumably when the system reaches the BIOS).

Is this a side effect of the current method (pre-flashing the card to the new custom firmware)?

Last edited:
@djbuddha sorry for the delay but i've been busy. I tried your EFI with Clover and it's ok for me too...but now i switched to OC....i'm still studying it.
@izo please can you send me the 3203 bios with Apple Logo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back