Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! Congrats on the win. You can definitely keep tweaking once you get proper cooling whenever and get better results. That's the cool thing about unlocked CPUs you can push them further than stock settings. You don't need crazy exotic watercooling to do that either, just simple open loop and a couple of hundred bucks will get you there.

You don't even need to throw your GPU under water if you're not using the GPU that much, but I would advise putting both the CPU and GPU under water and setting up good fan curves on good fans so your system is whisper silent while it's working. You don't want it to sound like a jet engine :mrgreen:

I'm in the process of getting a 10980XE and swapping the 9980XE, going to see how much I can push this thing without doing extreme overclocking and keeping it simple...I really want to beat the 28 core Mac Pro Cinebench R20 score :mrgreen:

After that I'm ready to leave the Hackintosh community for good haha

Don't worry, you'll get it, I just got this result with an AIO Corsair 240 (two 120 fans) "Sync All Cores" Core Limit 47 and a voltage of 1.230, maximum temperature 89º-90º. If you install a personalized refrigeration, you can surely raise it to 48 and reach 11.000

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-09-11 a las 23.29.57.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-09-11 a las 23.29.57.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 53
Don't worry, you'll get it, I just got this result with an AIO Corsair 240 (two 120 fans) "Sync All Cores" Core Limit 47 and a voltage of 1.230, maximum temperature 89º-90º. If you install a personalized refrigeration, you can surely raise it to 48 and reach 11.000

Nice! I could definitely push the 9980XE but I am trying to stay at safe temps. The 10980XE is just better binned silicon (but not much)

We definitely will need the Intel chiller to go above 11k :mrgreen:

Ah what we do to push things. If only Intel had better processors....

untitled-2.png

Anyway, with the OC that I have in my system, the idle temperature is 34-35º, in winter it drops to 29-30º, when rendering it rises, but not as much as in Cinebench. I am sure that with a personalized cooling you would get much more relaxed temperatures, the 10980xe works better than its predecessors (9980-7980) I have had them and I am very happy with the latter, you can also get it new for € 1,000-1,100

Anyway, with the OC that I have in my system, the idle temperature is 34-35º, in winter it drops to 29-30º, when rendering it rises, but not as much as in Cinebench. I am sure that with a personalized cooling you would get much more relaxed temperatures, the 10980xe works better than its predecessors (9980-7980) I have had them and I am very happy with the latter, you can also get it new for € 1,000-1,100

Actually just ordered it for $787 ($857) after taxes from Amazon. I think it's back in stock again for a little higher, but hopefully it's not a box of rocks. :mrgreen:

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 10.25.10 PM.png

I have a full WC setup and definitely can push it further, it's running really well. I am just more worried about wasting more time with the Hack and the constant need to update the bootloader etc and all the troubleshooting...I am thinking of just getting a 10core iMac and then when they move to Apple Silicon I can continue using a Mac and not dumping it for Windows (I don't think I can use Windows professionally to be honest). Adobe suite is a must for me, so I think I'm in the safe zone here since Apple has a partnership with Adobe.

Hot Plug is not 100%, so I would suggest trying to not go after it.

So you're not even able to eject a TB drive?

I can eject a drive, but if I unplug it, it ain’t coming back until I cold reboot.

I can eject any USB drives connected to the Caldigit dock and replug those in (which would make sense- the Caldigit’s USB controller handles that- and as long as the dock isn’t removed before replugging the drive- it’ll come back).

Actually just ordered it for $787 ($857) after taxes from Amazon. I think it's back in stock again for a little higher, but hopefully it's not a box of rocks. :mrgreen:

View attachment 487863

I have a full WC setup and definitely can push it further, it's running really well. I am just more worried about wasting more time with the Hack and the constant need to update the bootloader etc and all the troubleshooting...I am thinking of just getting a 10core iMac and then when they move to Apple Silicon I can continue using a Mac and not dumping it for Windows (I don't think I can use Windows professionally to be honest). Adobe suite is a must for me, so I think I'm in the safe zone here since Apple has a partnership with Adobe.

I've tried to read around the web about the X299 / Skylake-X successors and... there's really nothing about 'em online? Is Intel done with HEDT?

I can eject a drive, but if I unplug it, it ain’t coming back until I cold reboot.

I can eject any USB drives connected to the Caldigit dock and replug those in (which would make sense- the Caldigit’s USB controller handles that- and as long as the dock isn’t removed before replugging the drive- it’ll come back).

You need to edit KGPs SSDT from PC01 to PC00 and change BR1A to RP05. I just took a look at that old SSDT and it's set up that way.

Give the attached modified SSDT a try.

I've tried to read around the web about the X299 / Skylake-X successors and... there's really nothing about 'em online? Is Intel done with HEDT?

Intel is dead for the next 18 months at least. They cannibalized their HEDT line by moving their consumer line into it and now they have nothing left with their monolithic design while AMD is moving full steam ahead with using infinity fabric. Ironically Intel was against it but they use that in their Scalable processors too?

I don't think we're going to see anything else on X299, most likely we will see something new with a new architecture. They are still stuck on Skylake-X's process even if they scale it down to 10nm it's not going to help. They have to start fresh.

However in the Hackintosh community your best bet is Intel still if you want a full working machine (That is you will be doing work on it) with apps like from Adobe or Logic, they use Intel instructions and AMD CPUs is not a good choice for that. And moving forward the future of Hackintosh is dead anyway with Apple going ARM, so enjoy what you have for now :thumbup:

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml
    6.3 KB · Views: 42
You need to edit KGPs SSDT from PC01 to PC00 and change BR1A to RP05. I just took a look at that old SSDT and it's set up that way.

Give the attached modified SSDT a try.

I tried the SSDT.

When I booted back in (unplugged)- plugging in the dock created massive lag on the system entirely until I unplugged the dock.

When I cold booted with the dock plugged in, everything worked, as soon as I unplugged the dock and plugged it back in, the lag returned. I unplugged again and re-plugged, the lag went away. But hotplug still isn't working.

I re-attached the TB3 header before doing this, although I don't think that's making the difference here.

Now, do I need to always cold boot with Thunderbolt 3 devices connected in order to have hot plug (when it's working at as it should)?

What's strange is, if I connect my display(s) to my dock, they always work, no matter what. Security is set to 0, but I think that's just passing through the Displayport to Mini Displayport connection and doesn't really do any processing on the card.

edit: the lag was an anomaly it seems. I can't re-produce it. So now the device is acting exactly as it did with the other DSDT. Need to cold boot w/ it plugged in, no hot plug support.

edit 2: shutdown behaviour with attached picture of shutdown behaviour after replugging TB3 cable:

- no dock plugged in at all - shut down is normal - machine physically powers off quickly

- dock plugged in (cold booted) - shutdown is normal - machine physically powers off quickly

- dock unplugged / re-plugged in while in MacOS - I lose hotplug and then it's a super long list of USB devices (it goes by quick) upon looking at what's in the picture, that's the USB devices from the dock (USBXHC for example is the card slot). Takes about a good minute after the displays are disabled during the shutdown sequence for the actual machine to shut off.

I don't know if this yields any information about something I need to change on my end- but it's some kind of data :beachball:

Attachments

• IMG_5228.jpg
    IMG_5228.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I tried the SSDT.

When I booted back in (unplugged)- plugging in the dock created massive lag on the system entirely until I unplugged the dock.

When I cold booted with the dock plugged in, everything worked, as soon as I unplugged the dock and plugged it back in, the lag returned. I unplugged again and re-plugged, the lag went away. But hotplug still isn't working.

I re-attached the TB3 header before doing this, although I don't think that's making the difference here.

Now, do I need to always cold boot with Thunderbolt 3 devices connected in order to have hot plug (when it's working at as it should)?

What's strange is, if I connect my display(s) to my dock, they always work, no matter what. Security is set to 0, but I think that's just passing through the Displayport to Mini Displayport connection and doesn't really do any processing on the card.

edit: the lag was an anomaly it seems. I can't re-produce it. So now the device is acting exactly as it did with the other DSDT. Need to cold boot w/ it plugged in, no hot plug support.

edit 2: shutdown behaviour with attached picture of shutdown behaviour after replugging TB3 cable:

- no dock plugged in at all - shut down is normal - machine physically powers off quickly

- dock plugged in (cold booted) - shutdown is normal - machine physically powers off quickly

- dock unplugged / re-plugged in while in MacOS - I lose hotplug and then it's a super long list of USB devices (it goes by quick) upon looking at what's in the picture, that's the USB devices from the dock (USBXHC for example is the card slot). Takes about a good minute after the displays are disabled during the shutdown sequence for the actual machine to shut off.

I don't know if this yields any information about something I need to change on my end- but it's some kind of data :beachball:

I don't have a lot of experience with Thunderbolt to be honest, maybe someone can help with this?

I don't have a lot of experience with Thunderbolt to be honest, maybe someone can help with this?

Or go to Casey's thread. that's probably the thread to go to for thunderbolt related questions :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back