Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's a question for everyone about this new 10980XE on my WS X299 SAGE/10G

One of my tasks is encoding MP4s for delivery to some clients.

When I run the job, it does it's best to saturate all the cores, but man this computer is running insanely hot and I'm sure it's throttling down according to iStat Menus

I'm running a Corsair H150i. In my case, I don't care about sleep, I usually shut it down when I'm not using it as a habit I've always had (read somewhere that the Corsair stuff doesn't play well w/ sleep in MacOS).

I ordered some Noctua NF-F12 IndustrialPPC 2000 PWM fans to replace the ones that shipped with my H150i, but I'm wondering if I should cancel the order and maybe mess with the fan profile in the BIOS? I don't think there's any actual fan/pump control in MacOS as of yet (or ever most likely). Also, don't have Windows on this machine, but I guess I can install it to make the necessary changes w/ an external SSD.

When I check iStat during a long render, I'm seeing it hit 100 C on 1 or 2 cores, but then it obviously throttles back. I need to fix this before I start doing some bigger jobs, so I'm using a separate machine in the interim. The machine idles around 35 C so I'm sure the thermal paste and such is applied properly. It ONLY spikes during this specific workload (Final Cut exports are fine, as it doesn't tax the CPU as hard).

Anybody have any advice for me here?
Maybe you should use a custom kit. I bought with my 9980XE (i'm waiting for my new 10980XE) an EKWB kit...i've low temp even if i stress my cpu in windows apps! A custom kit is the best choice IMHO.
Please can you share your EFI?

Maybe you should use a custom kit. I bought with my 9980XE (i'm waiting for my new 10980XE) an EKWB kit...i've low temp even if i stress my cpu in windows apps! A custom kit is the best choice IMHO.
Please can you share your EFI?

Sure ... there's a chance this folder is a hot mess LOL

Removed my serial number from config.plist

Thanks for the help on this, really really appreciate it.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    33.4 MB · Views: 160

When I run the job, it does it's best to saturate all the cores, but man this computer is running insanely hot and I'm sure it's throttling down according to iStat Menus

I'm running a Corsair H150i. In my case, I don't care about sleep, I usually shut it down when I'm not using it as a habit I've always had (read somewhere that the Corsair stuff doesn't play well w/ sleep in MacOS).

I ordered some Noctua NF-F12 IndustrialPPC 2000 PWM fans to replace the ones that shipped with my H150i, but I'm wondering if I should cancel the order and maybe mess with the fan profile in the BIOS? I don't think there's any actual fan/pump control in MacOS as of yet (or ever most likely). Also, don't have Windows on this machine, but I guess I can install it to make the necessary changes w/ an external SSD.

When I check iStat during a long render, I'm seeing it hit 100 C on 1 or 2 cores, but then it obviously throttles back. I need to fix this before I start doing some bigger jobs, so I'm using a separate machine in the interim. The machine idles around 35 C so I'm sure the thermal paste and such is applied properly. It ONLY spikes during this specific workload (Final Cut exports are fine, as it doesn't tax the CPU as hard).

I would connect using windows first to change the pump profile to run higher. then connect the fans from the h150 to a motherboard header and adjust fan speeds/curves in the BIOS. Also check your avx offsets and oc settings. may need to dial it down then slowly go up or go with custom watercooling as these chips get hot.

I think this is definitely related to your cooling settings, I got a 9980XE (pretty much the same to 10980XE) and a 150i Pro too. I stressed it with any kind of stress test in Windows 10 and terminal "yes" command in macOS + benchmarks, so my point of view should be believable even if I don't do video encoding. Basically, you have to rely on your Mobo/BIOS for cooling setting, and now I'm able to run 2 cores at 5 GHz boost and all 18 cores at 4.1 GHz with offsets of 3 (AVX2) and 6 (AVX512) and believe me, that's the best I can achieve without reaching 100° at full load but staying 35° in idle and 90° in max all core load. You have to: 1. connect the pump cable to AIOPump header on your board (if you got one, maybe it's called PUMP header but it's the same) then connect the 3 fans to CPUFan header (using a cable splitter PWM) and if you run a Push/Pull config just use also the CPUOpt header for Pull fans again with a splitter PWM. I made a custom fan curve which stays silent at low loads (20% PWM signal) and ramps up (100% PWM signal) at 70° CPU Temp. Then you need to set the pump, just give it a 100% Signal in PWM or DC.

Well first of all what are you using to do the encoding?

CC2020 Media Encoder uses Metal and if you have an AMD card it will use the GPU.

If you go the CPU route for encoding MP4s then of course it will hit all the cores. As was suggested, its best to do water cooling from EKWB (or whatever brand you want). This way you can sync all cores and get more performance out of it. I currently have all 18 cores running at 4.5Ghz and set upper limit to never go above 84c and when it hits that it starts to throttle (which is the thermal limit for the 9980XE) but it doesn't hurt the CPU because these CPUs have a lot of overhead but they are hot beasts.

I suggest a 360mm + 280/240mm open loop with a CPU + GPU block at a minimum for your set up. You're pushing a lot of wattage and a simple H150 won't cut it imo. The costs of running water might be a little high in the beginning but its totally worth it because it doesnt get loud and keeps things cool. I think I spent around $600+ on just the watercooling materials alone, and I already had BeQuiet fans that are attached to it now. It's actually fun doing watercooling and this was my first try and YouTube has all kinds of great tutorials. I suggest EKWB CPU block and GPU blocks and the water pump/res, but you can get everything else from somewhere else. I use Primochill soft tubes and BitsPower angled connectors (with a mix of EKWB), drain etc cuz they looked cooler....I used clear EKWB liquid because it means less maintenance in the future (maybe drain/fill every 1 year+)....EKWB has sales sometimes maybe wait for Black Friday?

EDIT:

EKWB has an AIO now apparently but not sure if it's any better than the Corsair you have. The AIOs usually have tiny pumps that don't push water quick enough to cool it.

The thing is these CPUs can hit like 500 watts if pushed and the spikes are crazy and you need adequate cooling. Especially on AVX loads.

EDIT 2: I highly recommend Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTS slim rads, they're really well made and cheaper than EWKB and move more liquid than the thick ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01636K0VS/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I got 1x360MM at top and 1x240MM on front and BeQuiet SilentWing fans all over.

Last edited:
Well first of all what are you using to do the encoding?

CC2020 Media Encoder uses Metal and if you have an AMD card it will use the GPU.

If you go the CPU route for encoding MP4s then of course it will hit all the cores. As was suggested, its best to do water cooling from EKWB (or whatever brand you want). This way you can sync all cores and get more performance out of it. I currently have all 18 cores running at 4.5Ghz and set upper limit to never go above 84c and when it hits that it starts to throttle (which is the thermal limit for the 9980XE) but it doesn't hurt the CPU because these CPUs have a lot of overhead but they are hot beasts.

The thing is these CPUs can hit like 500 watts if pushed and the spikes are crazy and you need adequate cooling. Especially on AVX loads.

I'm using this old software, Sorenson Squeeze Desktop 11. I have to for my work so I can't change the encoder, which really REALLY sucks. But, I'll take the good with the bad, at the very least, it does take advantage of all cores (although I'd LOVE to be able to offload to my Vega 64 or even VideoToolBox, but that's unlikely for certain compatibility applications with our client base).

The problem is, I built this computer with a buddy and it does run really well, but it was so long ago so I'm not nearly as versed in this stuff like I was in 2010 before I switched off PC entirely to a Macbook Pro lol.

So overclocking is something that's always been way over my head. To be honest, I'd rather not overclock as I want stability and I'm ok sacrificing performance in this case (I have 18 cores lol).

I literally followed KGP's guide letter to letter, so I guess adjusting my AVX offsets back to default may go long way as a starting point?

I'm using this old software, Sorenson Squeeze Desktop 11. I have to for my work so I can't change the encoder, which really REALLY sucks. But, I'll take the good with the bad, at the very least, it does take advantage of all cores (although I'd LOVE to be able to offload to my Vega 64 or even VideoToolBox, but that's unlikely for certain compatibility applications with our client base).

The problem is, I built this computer with a buddy and it does run really well, but it was so long ago so I'm not nearly as versed in this stuff like I was in 2010 before I switched off PC entirely to a Macbook Pro lol.

So overclocking is something that's always been way over my head. To be honest, I'd rather not overclock as I want stability and I'm ok sacrificing performance in this case (I have 18 cores lol).

I literally followed KGP's guide letter to letter, so I guess adjusting my AVX offsets back to default may go long way as a starting point?

Ahh I remember Sorenson haha so old school. But their encoder is really good. I'm glad it's using all cores though.

Watercooling isn't scary I suggest you do it and then go to BIOS and Sync All Cores to 42x for now and start from there see what it does. You don't really need to mess with voltage or anything its so easy nowadays. But you should put a thermal limit so it doesn't go crazy in the 90c range because the 9980XE and 10980XE have lowered TDP's.

You will get like 20-40% gain and might even reach $25,000 Mac Pro levels of speeds. If you do this for a living you're half way there anyway, just need to get the watercooling going. :thumbup: Plus it's fun and kind of relaxing, like building legos haha

AVX offsets at 3 and 2 are ok actually, but you can definitely leave it at that for now or go to 0/0 default (which does run hotter actually). But I'm not sure if Sorenson even takes advantage of AVX instruction set.

Last edited:
Ahh I remember Sorenson haha so old school. But their encoder is really good. I'm glad it's using all cores though.

Watercooling isn't scary I suggest you do it and then go to BIOS and Sync All Cores to 42x for now and start from there see what it does. You don't really need to mess with voltage or anything its so easy nowadays. But you should put a thermal limit so it doesn't go crazy in the 90c range because the 9980XE and 10980XE have lowered TDP's.

You will get like 20-40% gain and might even reach $25,000 Mac Pro levels of speeds. If you do this for a living you're half way there anyway, just need to get the watercooling going. :thumbup: Plus it's fun and kind of relaxing, like building legos haha

AVX offsets at 3 and 2 are ok actually, but you can definitely leave it at that for now or go to 0/0 default (which does run hotter actually). But I'm not sure if Sorenson even takes advantage of AVX instruction set.

Hahaha yeah Squeeze is the bane of my existence LOL. But it does the job and keeps the lights on, and lets me pay for this Hackintosh LOL.

So am I SOL with this Corsair h150i? My Noctua fans showed up (Amazon has been clutch in the isolation-world), but in the reading I've attempted (which is convoluted at best) - I'm reading that the NF-F12 IndustrialPPC-2000 may not make much of a difference on this rad.

Also, the motherboard is showing the fan is running at 2000 RPM (in both the BIOS & iStat menus) but according to all the Corsair literature on my kit, the max fan speed is 1600, so is the controller conflicting. Man, I'm confused by all this.

Hahaha yeah Squeeze is the bane of my existence LOL. But it does the job and keeps the lights on, and lets me pay for this Hackintosh LOL.

So am I SOL with this Corsair h150i? My Noctua fans showed up (Amazon has been clutch in the isolation-world), but in the reading I've attempted (which is convoluted at best) - I'm reading that the NF-F12 IndustrialPPC-2000 may not make much of a difference on this rad.

Also, the motherboard is showing the fan is running at 2000 RPM (in both the BIOS & iStat menus) but according to all the Corsair literature on my kit, the max fan speed is 1600, so is the controller conflicting. Man, I'm confused by all this.

AIOs are just not cutout for this kind of heat because the pump and res are so small and not strong enough to keep pumping. Also AIOs have crappy tubing, bad liquid (with added anti corrosive materials), the tubes are thin and the rads are of low quality, they just can't move cold liquid around fast enough. These HEDT CPUs are really high wattage CPUs and their spikes are crazy even if you leave everything on default. They can go from idle 25w to 250w+ in a second when you put it through its paces. Changing the fans on the AIO will not really help, maybe give you 1c-4c of gain? I dunno. I just stopped buying AIOs. You're basically trying to cool a Ferrari with a Toyota Corolla cooling system.

You can try connecting the 3 fans on the AIO rad directly to the mobo with pwm splitters and run at full speed, but it will be SUPER loud to see at least how low of temps you can get. The NF-F12 get really loud FYI. The AIO pump just sucks, its a tiny motor. I think AIOs are fine if you have a consumer CPU like a 10900k running at default settings, but even those CPUs get crazy hot if you start OCing.

Honestly it doesn't make sense getting a 10980XE and not overclocking, there's just so much potential and headroom with these CPUs. My whole system just feel so snappy with the overclock and it was super easy. Just have to make sure you have good cooling is all.

This might be my last PC I ever built though, I just don't have the energy to deal with it haha.

I think this is definitely related to your cooling settings, I got a 9980XE (pretty much the same to 10980XE) and a 150i Pro too. I stressed it with any kind of stress test in Windows 10 and terminal "yes" command in macOS + benchmarks, so my point of view should be believable even if I don't do video encoding. Basically, you have to rely on your Mobo/BIOS for cooling setting, and now I'm able to run 2 cores at 5 GHz boost and all 18 cores at 4.1 GHz with offsets of 3 (AVX2) and 6 (AVX512) and believe me, that's the best I can achieve without reaching 100° at full load but staying 35° in idle and 90° in max all core load. You have to: 1. connect the pump cable to AIOPump header on your board (if you got one, maybe it's called PUMP header but it's the same) then connect the 3 fans to CPUFan header (using a cable splitter PWM) and if you run a Push/Pull config just use also the CPUOpt header for Pull fans again with a splitter PWM. I made a custom fan curve which stays silent at low loads (20% PWM signal) and ramps up (100% PWM signal) at 70° CPU Temp. Then you need to set the pump, just give it a 100% Signal in PWM or DC.

My Sage 10G has 5 PWM fan connectors & 2 PWM pump connectors (one is AIO & the other W_pump +). Should I just put my rad fans on those? (most likely the 3 fans would go on: CPU FAN, CPU FAN_OPT & & M2_FAN) and the pump would go on AIO.

Instead of using the splitter (I'm using the one that came w/ my fractal case, but I think it's not giving me accurate reads in the BIOS- these fans are allegedly limited to 1600 each, but it's reporting 2000 RPM). My rad is top mounted exhausting air from the top.

Forgive my rad ignorance, I'm a serious n00b in this arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back