Status
Not open for further replies.
The existing specification was:
ASUS X299-Deluxe Motherboard
Intel i9-7960X CPU
Samsung 960 Pro V-NAND M.2 2TB PCI Express NVMe
AMD Raedon Pro WX9100 16GB Graphics Card
Mac OS 10.14
Latest Clover with UEFI booting and all my kexts in /EIF/Clover/Kexts/Other.
Instead of using Clover, you may need to migrate over to using Open Core, if intending to be used with the current Catalina version.

Instead of using Clover, you may need to migrate over to using Open Core, if intending to be used with the current Catalina version.
Thanks Rugula, my current plan is to put my existing NVMe with Clover/Mojave in the new mother board - if it works OK I will use that for a while to give me a bit more time. I'm hoping it will just boot OK with the new M/B after I patch the BIOS.

I've also bought a new NVMe drive and after some advice from djlild7hina I intend to start a fresh installation with open core and Catalina, MacPro7,1 and I'm going to attempt to get my USB ports working this time too!

I have started to get things ready for my attempt at Catalina though, this thread and advice has been really useful.

Is there anything I've missed?

Downloaded Catalina Installer.
Created USB install media.
Copied shinoki7's base EFI folder for X299 mainboards onto the USB installers EFI Partition.
Renamed the config.plist-MacPro7,1 to config.plist
Generated Serial numbers with GenSMBIOSMaster - verified them and put them into his config.plist
Got the TSCAdjustReset for 16 cores in my kexts folder
Put SSDT-AWAC.aml in my ACPI folder
I also have SMCSuperIO.kext and SMCProcessor.kext but not sure I need them?
All the other kexts look good for my Intel I219v gigabit LAN, Realtek S1220A sound.
I have BIOS 0603 ready to patch and flash onto the X299A-II board when it arrives
I have noted the BIOS settings from @kgp original article for X299 boards.

I take it when the board arrives, I just flash the patched 0603 BIOS, set the correct CMOS settings and install from my USB installer.
Then when installation is complete copy the EFI folder from my USB installer to the NVMe drive to make it boot without my USB?

Thanks again for the help guys,

Rob

Thanks Rugula, my current plan is to put my existing NVMe with Clover/Mojave in the new mother board - if it works OK I will use that for a while to give me a bit more time. I'm hoping it will just boot OK with the new M/B after I patch the BIOS.

I've also bought a new NVMe drive and after some advice from djlild7hina I intend to start a fresh installation with open core and Catalina, MacPro7,1 and I'm going to attempt to get my USB ports working this time too!

I have started to get things ready for my attempt at Catalina though, this thread and advice has been really useful.

Is there anything I've missed?

Downloaded Catalina Installer.
Created USB install media.
Copied shinoki7's base EFI folder for X299 mainboards onto the USB installers EFI Partition.
Renamed the config.plist-MacPro7,1 to config.plist
Generated Serial numbers with GenSMBIOSMaster - verified them and put them into his config.plist
Got the TSCAdjustReset for 16 cores in my kexts folder
Put SSDT-AWAC.aml in my ACPI folder
I also have SMCSuperIO.kext and SMCProcessor.kext but not sure I need them?
All the other kexts look good for my Intel I219v gigabit LAN, Realtek S1220A sound.
I have BIOS 0603 ready to patch and flash onto the X299A-II board when it arrives
I have noted the BIOS settings from @kgp original article for X299 boards.

I take it when the board arrives, I just flash the patched 0603 BIOS, set the correct CMOS settings and install from my USB installer.
Then when installation is complete copy the EFI folder from my USB installer to the NVMe drive to make it boot without my USB?

Thanks again for the help guys,

Rob

Yes that sounds about right. You do need SMCSuperIO kext and SMCProcessor kext. Those go along with VirtualSMC.kext
Make sure for SSDT-AWAC you make a new entry in your config.plist for it under ACPI-Add (You can just copy one of the other entries and change the Path and comment to 'SSDT-AWAC.aml'

Once you do map your ports, please let me know so I can add it to my github repo :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, is KGP's original post the one I need to follow to get my 10980xe and x299X Designare 10g motherboard running? It is the new model. I'm new to all this so wanted to make sure.

Unfortunately KGP's thread is a little outdated since he's been gone for a while. Your best bet is to look in this thread.

1. The advantages are listed right on the github page.
View attachment 476183
The github is a pretty straight forward guide or you can try using Hackintool to try to map your ports.

Fortunately, kgp created a 15 port usb kext for the X299 Deluxe, with certain ports disabled. It's specified what all the ports are and if they are are active/disabled in the 'Ports-Layout.rtf' file in the X299USB.kext (Right-click kext, Click 'Show Package Contents'. I've adapted it for the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS but not 100% if it works since I don't have your board to test. That's why it's recommended to create your own kext to suit your needs.

I've attached an updated config.plist with X299USB.kext enabled and XhciPortLimit disabled and USBInjectAll.Kext removed. Just copy your Serial number and SMUUID like before, and X299USB.kext to EFI->OC->Kexts.

3. Yes that should be fine, you'll have handoff, continuity and such. Remember to set the usb port you plug the USB cable for BT to '255'

6. Skylake-X.

3. I'm waiting to get my card, it will be tomorrow, but where do I set the USB port to 255? Will I know it when I get the card? More questions on this one tomorrow. I need to get the card, get it installed and make sure it is working.

I'm running, right now, on the latest config.plist and the x299usb.kext you last gave me, and I actually just tried the USB port at the top of the case, and it didn't work.... I will try again tomorrow to read the documentation and create my own usb kext.

Last edited:
3. I'm waiting to get my card, it will be tomorrow, but where do I set the USB port to 255? Will I know it when I get the card? More questions on this one tomorrow. I need to get the card, get it installed and make sure it is working.

I'm running, right now, on the latest config.plist and the x299usb.kext you last gave me, and I actually just tried the USB port at the top of the case, and it didn't work.... I will try again tomorrow to read the documentation and create my own usb kext.

Review the Ports-layout.rtf file to make sure it isn't disabled. I'm not sure how you are plugging your wires. You can check with Hackintool to see what devices are plugged into which ports.

Looks like one of the front panel usb 3 (U31G1_34 the one on the bottom of the board) is disabled with ports HS03, HS04, SSP3, SSP4
Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 23.38.49.png

Last edited:
OK - Im stuck!

New system, ASUS Prime X299-A II with Intel i9-7960X CPU and Radeon Pro WX9100.
Loads Open Core - I choose install Catalina and it gets stuck here:
1592411571413.png

I have taken the BASE-EFI folder from Shinoki7's GitHub, have modified the MacPro7,1 config.plist example with my own serial number, board number and UUID - I also changed one other reference I found in it from MacPro1,1 to MacPro7,1

Kexts:
AppleALC
IntelMausi
Lilu
MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler
SMCProcessor
SMCSuperIO
USBInjectAll
VirtualSMC
WhateverGreen
TSCAdjustReset (adjusted for 16 core CPU 7960X CPU).

In the ACPI folder I have placed:
SSDT-AWC.aml
SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
SSDT-PLUG.aml
SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml

Drivers folder has:
HfsPlus.efi
OpenCanopy.efi
OpenRuntime.efi

BIOS Settings:
BIOS Version 0603 x64
Build Date : 03/05/2020
(BIOS patched using ASUS BIOS Patch and loaded using BIOS Flashback button on rear)

F5 to load optimised values - then changed the following:
1.) /AI Tweaker/
a.) ASUS MultiCore Enhancement: Auto (default)
b.) AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: “3”
c.) AVX-512 Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: "2"
d.) CPU Core Ratio: Sync All Cores
e.) CPU SVID Support: Enabled
f.) DRAM Frequency: 2133 MHz
2.) /Advanced/CPU Configuration/
a.) Hyper Threading [ALL]: Enabled (default)
b.) MSR Lock Control:Disabled
3.) /Advanced/CPU Configuration/CPU Power Management Configuration/
a.) Enhanced Intel Speed Step Technology (EIST):Enabled (default)
b.) Autonomous Core C-States: Enabled (default)
c.) Enhanced Halt State (C1E):Enabled (default)
d.) CPU C6 report: Enabled
e.) Package C-State: C6(non retention) state
f.) Intel SpeedShift Technology:Enabled
g.) MFC Mode Override: OS Native (default)
4.) /Advanced/Platform Misc Configuration/ (All default)
a.) PCI Express Native Power Management: Disabled
b.) PCH DMI ASPM: Disabled
d.) ASPM: Disabled
e.) DMI Link ASPM Control: Disabled
f.) PEG - ASMP: Disabled
5.) /Advanced/System Agent Configuration/
a.) Intel VT for Directed I/O (VT-d): Enabled
6.) /Boot/
a.) Fast Boot: Disabled
b.) Above 4G Decoding: Enabled (default)
c.) Set your specific Boot Option Priorities
7.) /Boot/Boot Configuration
a.) Boot Logo Display: Auto (default)
b.) Boot up NumLock State: Disabled
c.) Setup Mode: Advanced
8.) /Boot/Compatibility Support Module/
a.) Launch CSM: Disabled (default)
9.) /Boot/Secure Boot/
a.) OS Type: Other OS

I'm not sure but I think it could be BIOS settings or version. Its worth mentioning that I had an ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe board before. It died with a CMOS error on Monday so I replaced it with the ASUS Prime X299-A II. First I tried putting my original NVMe in it, which has a long time working OS-X Mojave based on Cover, built as per the excellent guide from @kgp a year or so back. This has worked fine on the old board - but will not boot in the new motherboard. So I put the NVMe to one side and stuck a new one in for my Catalina build I am attempting now.

Things I have tried.
Different USB stick for the installer.
Different USB port.
Removing the new NVMe and going back to an old SSD.
Disabling all USB3 and SATA controllers, sound, network in BIOS.
Aorus RX580-8G Graphics card instead of the Radeon WX9100.

I'm getting stuck for ideas...... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ive attached my EFI folder - only thing I have changed is replaced my serial number, board number and UUID for blanks.

Rob

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    57.9 MB · Views: 172
OK - Im stuck!

New system, ASUS Prime X299-A II with Intel i9-7960X CPU and Radeon Pro WX9100.
Loads Open Core - I choose install Catalina and it gets stuck here:
View attachment 476732

I have taken the BASE-EFI folder from Shinoki7's GitHub, have modified the MacPro7,1 config.plist example with my own serial number, board number and UUID - I also changed one other reference I found in it from MacPro1,1 to MacPro7,1

Kexts:
AppleALC
IntelMausi
Lilu
MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler
SMCProcessor
SMCSuperIO
USBInjectAll
VirtualSMC
WhateverGreen
TSCAdjustReset (adjusted for 16 core CPU 7960X CPU).

In the ACPI folder I have placed:
SSDT-AWC.aml
SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
SSDT-PLUG.aml
SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml

Drivers folder has:
HfsPlus.efi
OpenCanopy.efi
OpenRuntime.efi

BIOS Settings:
BIOS Version 0603 x64
Build Date : 03/05/2020
(BIOS patched using ASUS BIOS Patch and loaded using BIOS Flashback button on rear)

F5 to load optimised values - then changed the following:
1.) /AI Tweaker/
a.) ASUS MultiCore Enhancement: Auto (default)
b.) AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: “3”
c.) AVX-512 Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: "2"
d.) CPU Core Ratio: Sync All Cores
e.) CPU SVID Support: Enabled
f.) DRAM Frequency: 2133 MHz
2.) /Advanced/CPU Configuration/
a.) Hyper Threading [ALL]: Enabled (default)
b.) MSR Lock Control:Disabled
3.) /Advanced/CPU Configuration/CPU Power Management Configuration/
a.) Enhanced Intel Speed Step Technology (EIST):Enabled (default)
b.) Autonomous Core C-States: Enabled (default)
c.) Enhanced Halt State (C1E):Enabled (default)
d.) CPU C6 report: Enabled
e.) Package C-State: C6(non retention) state
f.) Intel SpeedShift Technology:Enabled
g.) MFC Mode Override: OS Native (default)
4.) /Advanced/Platform Misc Configuration/ (All default)
a.) PCI Express Native Power Management: Disabled
b.) PCH DMI ASPM: Disabled
d.) ASPM: Disabled
e.) DMI Link ASPM Control: Disabled
f.) PEG - ASMP: Disabled
5.) /Advanced/System Agent Configuration/
a.) Intel VT for Directed I/O (VT-d): Enabled
6.) /Boot/
a.) Fast Boot: Disabled
b.) Above 4G Decoding: Enabled (default)
c.) Set your specific Boot Option Priorities
7.) /Boot/Boot Configuration
a.) Boot Logo Display: Auto (default)
b.) Boot up NumLock State: Disabled
c.) Setup Mode: Advanced
8.) /Boot/Compatibility Support Module/
a.) Launch CSM: Disabled (default)
9.) /Boot/Secure Boot/
a.) OS Type: Other OS

I'm not sure but I think it could be BIOS settings or version. Its worth mentioning that I had an ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe board before. It died with a CMOS error on Monday so I replaced it with the ASUS Prime X299-A II. First I tried putting my original NVMe in it, which has a long time working OS-X Mojave based on Cover, built as per the excellent guide from @kgp a year or so back. This has worked fine on the old board - but will not boot in the new motherboard. So I put the NVMe to one side and stuck a new one in for my Catalina build I am attempting now.

Things I have tried.
Different USB stick for the installer.
Different USB port.
Removing the new NVMe and going back to an old SSD.
Disabling all USB3 and SATA controllers, sound, network in BIOS.
Aorus RX580-8G Graphics card instead of the Radeon WX9100.

I'm getting stuck for ideas...... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ive attached my EFI folder - only thing I have changed is replaced my serial number, board number and UUID for blanks.

Rob

You need to add SSDT-AWAC.aml as an entry in config.plist under ACPI-Add. I would put it on the bottom so it's Item 4.

What was the one reference that you changed to MacPro1,1 to MacPro7,1? I'll update the config.plist thanks

You need to add SSDT-AWAC.aml as an entry in config.plist under ACPI-Add. I would put it on the bottom so it's Item 4.

What was the one reference that you changed to MacPro1,1 to MacPro7,1? I'll update the config.plist thanks

That's brilliant - I am installing!

I've spent literally all day on this - I never realised config.plist had to reference the stuff in the ACPI folder, that probably explains why I have never had any luck getting USB ports and things working in the past.

I guess its something most people are already aware of, but for anyone else experiencing the same thing, I just used ProperTree - opened my config.plist and pressed CMD-R and it added an extra entry for the missing SSDT, as @djlild7hina suggested I made sure it was in at number 4 and everything is now working fine.

I know the idea of the forums is for freely sharing of information, but I'll make another donation to tonymacx86 as I am so grateful for the help on here!

Rob

That's brilliant - I am installing!

I've spent literally all day on this - I never realised config.plist had to reference the stuff in the ACPI folder, that probably explains why I have never had any luck getting USB ports and things working in the past.

I guess its something most people are already aware of, but for anyone else experiencing the same thing, I just used ProperTree - opened my config.plist and pressed CMD-R and it added an extra entry for the missing SSDT, as @djlild7hina suggested I made sure it was in at number 4 and everything is now working fine.

I know the idea of the forums is for freely sharing of information, but I'll make another donation to tonymacx86 as I am so grateful for the help on here!

Rob

Yes OpenCore is different in that you have to define everything in the plist. It also goes by the order of the plist so make sure if some kexts/ssdts have dependancies on other ones, they are after. For example, Lilu.kext is first and AppleALC, WhateverGreen, etc. are after.

I've updated my Github to have SSDT-AWAC to be enabled by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back