Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@izo1 i remember reading that you had issue with your x299 boards when loaded with 8x16GB ram.

I've been having random crashes under load for quite a while. At first I thought it was to do with the CPU being heavily overclocked and now showing its age.

But today I ran memtestx86 and I got heaps of errors very quickly.

So I ran the test again with half of the ram (64GB) and got no error.

Then I did it again with the other half, and all good again.

But when using 128GB all together things get bad.

What did you do to resolve this issue?
Non of my memory stick appears faulty individually.
Or with 64GB at a time.

Thank you

ok now i have " PCI Configuration end bridges 12 devices 124 "

UPDATE : I downgraded Bios with 2002, and now it is working.

Hi @samtimbaud,

Just to clarify the BIOS versions:
ASUS X-299 Deluxe II, the oldest BIOS to support 10th gen is 0802,
The "2002" is x299 Deluxe

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
@izo1 i remember reading that you had issue with your x299 boards when loaded with 8x16GB ram.

I've been having random crashes under load for quite a while. At first I thought it was to do with the CPU being heavily overclocked and now showing its age.

But today I ran memtestx86 and I got heaps of errors very quickly.

So I ran the test again with half of the ram (64GB) and got no error.

Then I did it again with the other half, and all good again.

But when using 128GB all together things get bad.

What did you do to resolve this issue?
Non of my memory stick appears faulty individually.
Or with 64GB at a time.

Thank you

Yeah I had major issues with filling all DIMM slots. ASUS and G.Skill actually helped me understand that it also has to do with the silicone of the CPU and it's IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) and mobo tracepath quality. Went through 2 ASUS Prime Deluxe II's and neither was able to handle 8x16GB DIMMs, so finally ended up with a SAGE/10G and it worked great with all DIMMs filled up. There were 0 errors with memtest, while there were numerous with the Prime Deluxes.

So far my Hacky has been churring along peacefully with OC, and this is my 3rd or 4th X299 board I had to go through (I only have one hackintosh on hand).

The other mod I did was flashing the GC-Titan Ridge with Raspberry Pi, which took a few tries with the clip, but it worked in the end and it was totally worth it for native TB3 support for future proofing, although I don't have TB3 devices to test. But I also gained Thunderbolt Network Bridge and Target Disk Mode.

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 3.07.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 3.07.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 3.22.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 3.22.31 AM.png

And I also moved to dual 27" 4K LG UL850 panels instead of dual giant 38" LG 38UC99-Ws — they were just too massive for me and couldn't get used to it for over a year. It's cool for gaming, but I don't really do that, this is more a workstation and a daily driver. I think Ultrawide's are a gimmick and will never buy one again.

Also a fair warning to SAGE10/G owners...DO NOT update to the latest 3101 BIOS, the MSR Lock button is broken and I let ASUS know, and they should fix it in the next release. Stick to 2002.

And if anyone is interested, I have a modified SAGE10/G 2002 BIOS with the Apple logo during boot, let me know if anyone wants it. Just save your settings (.CMO file) on a flash drive and flash with BIOS Flashback (Make sure your FAT32 USB stick is MBR and not GUID) and then load the .CMO to restore the settings. I am still trying to figure out how to get rid of the "Please press DEL..." message.

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 3.16.02 AM.png

If anyone wants the above that's on a different ASUS board or whatever else, let me know I will provide instructions and the .bmp file for the above so you can patch your own files. It's pretty easy with a AMI tool (requires Windows).

Last edited:
Yeah I had major issues with filling all DIMM slots. ASUS and G.Skill actually helped me understand that it also has to do with the silicone of the CPU and it's IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) and mobo tracepath quality. Went through 2 ASUS Prime Deluxe II's and neither was able to handle 8x16GB DIMMs, so finally ended up with a SAGE/10G and it worked great with all DIMMs filled up. There were 0 errors with memtest, while there were numerous with the Prime Deluxes.

My board was super stable with 128GB, I've been running it for 2 years without issue. I have always upgraded bios as they came out.
The last one was end of December, which is I'm pretty sure when it started to become unstable.

At the time I blame the weather and summer temperature, so I cleaned the water in my loop, there was crap stuck in the CPU and at the time the water flow had dropped from 165L/mn to 115L/mn.

The other mod I did was flashing the GC-Titan Ridge with Raspberry Pi, which took a few tries with the clip, but it worked in the end and it was totally worth it for native TB3 support for future proofing, although I don't have TB3 devices to test. But I also gained Thunderbolt Network Bridge and Target Disk Mode.
wait what?

RPI flashing on an Intel Titan Ridge? how does that work?

this sounds awesome.

Got some steps? Would that work with the ASRock GB card? It's an Intel JHL6540 Thunderbolt card, same as in the iMac Pro.

Speaking of TB3... I'm considering adding a TB3 card to my system, what's the best card to buy? (the one with less hassles to configure :p ) Every card needs to be flashed/adapted and generally requires hard work? every card has something not working, like hotplug or video out I mean... Thanks!

Also a fair warning to SAGE10/G owners...DO NOT update to the latest 3101 BIOS, the MSR Lock button is broken and I let ASUS know, and they should fix it in the next release. Stick to 2002.

DSM2 modified the bios/unlocked it and also did the necessary SSDT work which is relevant for this motherboard and the bios version 3101 a while ago, for other cascade lake boards 3 months ago.

SSDT BIOS

Last edited:
My board was super stable with 128GB, I've been running it for 2 years without issue. I have always upgraded bios as they came out.
The last one was end of December, which is I'm pretty sure when it started to become unstable.

At the time I blame the weather and summer temperature, so I cleaned the water in my loop, there was crap stuck in the CPU and at the time the water flow had dropped from 165L/mn to 115L/mn.

wait what?

RPI flashing on an Intel Titan Ridge? how does that work?

this sounds awesome.

Got some steps? Would that work with the ASRock GB card? It's an Intel JHL6540 Thunderbolt card, same as in the iMac Pro.

Refer to Casey’s thread. It isn't too difficult and easy to revert if you backup your firmware.
There are thunderbolt sections in his first post

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 09.20.56.png

But some posts to keep in mind.
Repo of flashed firmwares
Flashing with CH341A Programmer
Flashing with Raspberry Pi

EDIT: May also be possible with just an SSDT since it's alpine ridge.

Last edited:
Speaking of TB3... I'm considering adding a TB3 card to my system, what's the best card to buy? (the one with less hassles to configure :p ) Every card needs to be flashed/adapted and generally requires hard work? every card has something not working, like hotplug or video out I mean... Thanks!

If your thunderbolt devices require thunderbolt bus or you require thunderbolt networking, the flashing process is pretty similar regardless of card. Would think Titan Ridge is the best, since it is the newest chip and supports DP1.4. It appears that NVM23 or NVM33 (Designaire) are the most stable firmwares for Titan Ridge. I have two flashed cards running in my Sage/10G.

If your thunderbolt devices require thunderbolt bus or you require thunderbolt networking, the flashing process is pretty similar regardless of card. Would think Titan Ridge is the best, since it is the newest chip and supports DP1.4. It appears that NVM23 or NVM33 (Designaire) are the most stable firmwares for Titan Ridge. I have two flashed cards running in my Sage/10G.

so there's a way to run them without flashing implying that this way you lose TB Bus (dunno what this is) and ethernet?

so there's a way to run them without flashing implying that this way you lose TB Bus (dunno what this is) and ethernet?

Yes, you can use the thunderbolt SSDT in kgp's guide. Believe it's compatible with alpine ridge and titan ridge.

Casey also mentions the difference between the SSDT method and flashing method in the 'Thunderbolt Bus activation' section here

Here is some more information about thunderbolt BUS and what it enables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back