Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're better off starting from scratch with Catalina (it's the future anyway) and see if you can move to OpenCore (It's also the future) but a little more advanced than Clover and not many guides except some prebuilt EFIs we posted here.

Regarding the Titan Ridge card, even though I have one, I don't use it often so I can't help on that end, I hope someone else will.

I went through 3 BT/WIFI cards and l landed on the BCM943602CS, using the stock antennas and it seems to have been working well for many months now with no interference to the connections.

I will post it soon after updating to the latest OC release. What doesn't work with TB?
Hot plug doesn't work...if i insert audio card after boot it's not recognized while with clover everything works

Hot plug doesn't work...if i insert audio card after boot it's not recognized while with clover everything works

Might just be an SSDT issue, I haven't personally tested TB3 that much.

Good to know. I don't really care much about the newest features. It seems like 10.13 is less bloated and the limited reports I've read have moderately better performance for daws. That, and TB hotplug are my main priorities.

Do you think with no need for windows the TBEX3 (unplugged header) is good? Sleep/wake too? I can live without sleep/wake, but it would be nice to have.

I wen't ahead and updated my EFI folder to the newest. So far the USB is working right, still trying to figure out the DSTD's to get TB3 hotplug going. It looks like KGP's folder is all for the Sage/10g, is there a folder of dsdt's somewhere for the prime deluxe (I)? I'm using solarflare SFP+ for 10G.

Good to know. I don't really care much about the newest features. It seems like 10.13 is less bloated and the limited reports I've read have moderately better performance for daws. That, and TB hotplug are my main priorities.

Do you think with no need for windows the TBEX3 (unplugged header) is good? Sleep/wake too? I can live without sleep/wake, but it would be nice to have.

I wen't ahead and updated my EFI folder to the newest. So far the USB is working right, still trying to figure out the DSTD's to get TB3 hotplug going. It looks like KGP's folder is all for the Sage/10g, is there a folder of dsdt's somewhere for the prime deluxe (I)? I'm using solarflare SFP+ for 10G.

Any future software such as Adobe (and other software) will most likely require Catalina and up, so it's best to move to Catalina if you can, unless you are going to use things like old plugins with the loss of 32bit support.

I'm using 10.15.3 as a daily driver and it's not as stable as Mojave 10.14.6 but it will get there.

Any future software such as Adobe (and other software) will most likely require Catalina and up, so it's best to move to Catalina if you can, unless you are going to use things like old plugins with the loss of 32bit support.

I'm using 10.15.3 as a daily driver and it's not as stable as Mojave 10.14.6 but it will get there.

I'm not using anything from Adobe...Pro Tools (which still doesn't fully support Catalina), Logic, Ableton, Studio One...I'm going to guess nearly everything I need would work on Snow Leopard!

I got pretty much everything updated, USB 3/3.1 working, TB Hotplug working. Sleep/Wake works except not with TB (using a TB dock to test with here). Also cool to see I can play with some single core OC at higher frequencies than the rest...

The one issue that I have is if there is a hard crash, or if I just turn off the computers power supply, the TB3 won't show up under PCI devices on the next boot (or any after). In order to get it back, I have to power down both the Thunderbolt device and remove power from the computer (simply turning it off won't do it). Weird that everything has to get powered down.

I wanted to test my Titan Ridge card, but I can't find it right now. Anyone know if this is expected and/or if the Titan Ridge does the same thing?

Last edited:
I'm not using anything from Adobe...Pro Tools (which still doesn't fully support Catalina), Logic, Ableton, Studio One...I'm going to guess nearly everything I need would work on Snow Leopard!

I got pretty much everything updated, USB 3/3.1 working, TB Hotplug working. Sleep/Wake works except not with TB (using a TB dock to test with here). Also cool to see I can play with some single core OC at higher frequencies than the rest...

The one issue that I have is if there is a hard crash, or if I just turn off the computers power supply, the TB3 won't show up under PCI devices on the next boot (or any after). In order to get it back, I have to power down both the Thunderbolt and remove power from the computer AND the TB dock (simply shutting it off won't do it). Weird that everything has to get powered down.

I wanted to test my titan ridge card, but I can't find it right now. Anyone know if this is expected and/or if the Titan ridge does the same thing?

You're literally doing a hacky Hackintosh, the whole point of vanilla installs like from the KGP guide and OC EFIs we posted was to get close to a real Mac as possible by doing it right.

If you are wanting to avoid any of that, not sure how I can help here, sorry.

Catalina and the removal of 32bit support was coming for a long time and it's a major OS update, so moving forward it's best to stick with Catalina if you want to be on the cutting edge of macOS and applications. Logic, Ableton, Studio one will all have to be updated for Catalina, because the new Mac Pro and any newer Mac requires Catalina and up.

I personally wouldn't mind staying with 10.14.6 Mojave, but under certain circumstances and the forced use of CC2020 I had to move to Catalina.

You're literally doing a hacky Hackintosh, the whole point of vanilla installs like from the KGP guide and OC EFIs we posted was to get close to a real Mac as possible by doing it right.

You say that because of sticking with High Sierra for now? I get where you're coming from, but I don't upgrade my real macs to the newest os for studio use either. I have multiple engineers and several rooms that need to open projects/sessions from any other room. Any sorts of changes can be a big pain in my ass...I'll do it at some point here, I'll just need all my regulars to bring in all their hardware USB toys so we can test it all out. The problem I was just having was USB working for some midi devices and not others (looks like the truncated ports kext has fixed that).

As for the install, I did spend the whole day following the KGP guide (from post install + TSCadjust from pre), implemented all the relevant SSDT's other than I disable wifi, bt and built in audio in bios.

I am using SSDT-X299-TB3HP-APR.aml because I found a post from KGP that even though it shows up in PCI as GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 NHI, it's still the best one to use for the TBEX3 card as well. Is there a better one to use?

The TB card not showing up after a hard crash or power-loss isn't actually new to me. It's how it has always worked which is why I tested it. I was hoping that might be fixed, but no biggie if not.

Thanks for all the help!

You say that because of sticking with High Sierra for now? I get where you're coming from, but I don't upgrade my real macs to the newest os for studio use either. I have multiple engineers and several rooms that need to open projects/sessions from any other room. Any sorts of changes can be a big pain in my ass...I'll do it at some point here, I'll just need all my regulars to bring in all their hardware USB toys so we can test it all out. The problem I was just having was USB working for some midi devices and not others (looks like the truncated ports kext has fixed that).

As for the install, I did spend the whole day following the KGP guide (from post install + TSCadjust from pre), implemented all the relevant SSDT's other than I disable wifi, bt and built in audio in bios.

I am using SSDT-X299-TB3HP-APR.aml because I found a post from KGP that even though it shows up in PCI as GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 NHI, it's still the best one to use for the TBEX3 card as well. Is there a better one to use?

The TB card not showing up after a hard crash or power-loss isn't actually new to me. It's how it has always worked which is why I tested it. I was hoping that might be fixed, but no biggie if not.

Thanks for all the help!

Oh OK, I agree about the sentiment if it's used in a production environment. I rarely update on my end, I usually wait 8 months or so. Especially with Adobe CCs, it's always buggy on new releases.

I'm not 100% sure about the TB issue, maybe someone here can help with that.

Looks like it's either/or. With the TB header plugged in, I can just reboot after a crash or power loss, but hotplug doesn't work. If I have the TB header disconnected, hotplug works, but both the TB device and the computer have to be removed from power (not just turned off) before the TB will connect again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back