Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about motherboards:
We know that these motherboards work:
Asus WS X299 Sage (10G and not)
Asus Prime X299-A (DeLuxe and not)

Are there other motherboards that run well both entry level and more professional?
Thanks.

You name 2 of the best... I like also Asrock Taichi/Taichi XE, Asrock X299 OC Formula, Asus WS X299 Pro, Asus TUF X299 MK1/MK2, MSI Tomahawk/Tomahawk AC/Tomahawk Arctic (TB could be very tricky with the MSI´s).
I have a bunch of questions, please don't get mad at me:
Have all those boards been tested?
Are they all compatible?
Are Gigabytes not compatible? I tried using the Gigabyte X299 Designare EX but sleep didn't work and Hot Plug thunderbolt as well.
Does the ASRock X299 Extreme4 work?

I'm basically not so happy with the Asus Prime X299-A in terms of power delivery. It sells for EU 280 circa now in Europe. It's good in terms of compatibility but all those Asus boards that share the same power delivery are poor in that sense. The Asus WS X299 Sage is a lot better.

@zzmadd

I have tested all the listed boards. Sleep isn´t really relevant with a workstation. Indeed sleep is working in most cases, but companies like for example Avid or Steinberg recommend absolutely to disable all sleep functions in the OS.
TB Hot Plug is a bit of a gambling game. But more importantly than HP is a stable function of TB. In general I see mainly two type of application for TB: to connect an Audiointerface and/or a Raid. And for these devices HP is not so important. It´s cool if it works, but in case of doubt I have to restart. I think this is tolerable. In the X99 times we have to completely shut down the computer ;)
The ASRock X299 Extreme4 should working very well... only the PCIe-Structure with the cheaper Asrock boards is a little bit odd, but overall I remember that it´s working fine.

Attention: none of the refreshed X299 boards (Cascade Lake X with up to 256 GB RAM and 48 PCIe-Lanes with 109xx-CPU´s) are working at the moment, and this concerns all refreshed boards from Asus, GB, Asrock, MSI.
I have tested with Asus Prime X299 A-II, MSI X299 Pro and Asus Prime X299 Edition 30, and there are a few more users with Asus A-II, Asrock Taichi CLX and MSI Creator X299. The new CPU´s (109xx) are fine, but there seems a big problem with the extended PCIe-lanes... I hope this is not the end of X299 for us.

Do the 109XX CPUs work with any of the first gen boards, eg. Asus Prime X299-A?

Do the 109XX CPUs work with any of the first gen boards, eg. Asus Prime X299-A?
Yes. You only have to ensure to have the latest UEFI so the new CPU´s are recognized.

Yes. You only have to ensure to have the latest UEFI so the new CPU´s are recognized.

Does the UEFI update for those boards also give support for 256GB RAM?

I think someone should try the Asrock X299 Steel Legend. It's got the 256 GB RAM support. But the PCI slot config is x16/x4/x16/x8, rather than x16/x8/x16/x8. It makes me think they didn't route the additional lanes. Which suggests maybe it could still work as the old X299 boards do? I don't know.

I tried doing some research on why the Cascade Lake changes require an additional PCI Complex Root, but I couldn't really find any info. As I understand it, the PCR is a virtual PCI host bridge used to connect the PCI-e root ports in a way that is backwards compatible. So there must be some flexibility with regard to how the PCI-e components map to virtual PCI-to-PCI bridges?

Well, anyway. This thread is probably best for discussion of it: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...9800x-radeon-vii-mojave-install.288843/page-4

Anyone here running BIOS 2002 using the Thunderbolt 3 Titan Ridge card on the SAGE/10G and having it work successfully?

I haven't worked on it very much, since TB3 is a nice thing for me, as opposed to necessary, but no, I have not managed to get it work in Win10, MacOS, or Ubuntu. Win10 and Ubuntu see the card, but devices aren't recognized. Could be the card, I suppose. The Asus TB3 EX board (or whatever it was called) worked in Win10 and Ubuntu, and worked under MacOS without hot-plug. I returned that for the Gigabyte Titan Ridge, but maybe I'll go back... Anyway, I followed KGP's directions exactly and the TB3 card in slot 2 (an Asus tech support person said I could put the card in any slot, as long as it was "disabled" ie not slot2 in BIOS. WTF!?).

It will also be a little while before I can test anything since I had to RMA my mobo. The "B" RAM bank stopped recognizing RAM. No errors pop up. The RAM (verified to be good) just doesn't show up in BIOS or OS.

My BIOS is the most up to date. I finally got clover installed and I found an EFI folder for the Deluxe II that Loloflatsix had posted back on page 136 of this thread. The only problem is that that EFI folder was for Mojave, and my old build was High Sierra. If I copy the whole EFI folder, my OSX partition doesn't show up in Clover. I tried copying the Kexts and drivers64UEFI folder and config.plist. On OSX startup, my computer seemed to get further than before, but still gets stuck (will post pics below). I could start with a fresh Mojave install, but would much prefer update the High Sierra to Mojave. I probably should have upgraded to Mojave before upgrading from the Prime Deluxe I to the Prime Deluxe II. Any ideas on how to upgrade High Sierra to Mojave? Can I do it externally, or is it easier to get High Sierra up and running and then upgrade within OSX while it's running?

I've made a lot of progress. I've got Mojave up and running and no crashes, Thunderbolt working, ethernet working (though doesn't seem very smooth/responsive), and iMessages working. I copied @Loloflatsix's EFI folder for the Deluxe II (see below).

Why might booting be taking so long (about 2 minutes)? There's a video of verbose-mode booting here.

Also, I'm only booting up if my Mojave system disc is plugged into a USB 2.0 port. It won't boot if plugged into USB 3.0 or the Serial ATA connectors.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 3.27.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 3.27.37 PM.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 3.28.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 3.28.41 PM.png
    126 KB · Views: 83
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back