Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@smak, I think there are a lot of versions of that kext floating around, and they likely only differ in support for non-native cards. The effect seems to be subtle with AMD, anyway.

Hey, everybody - I don't think too many people saw my post about NVMe RAID: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/moving-my-boot-volume-to-apfs-raid.290312/

It's a great hack - quite a performance improvement! Maybe this could be useful for some X299 users.

Anyone here running BIOS 2002 using the Thunderbolt 3 Titan Ridge card on the SAGE/10G and having it work successfully?

Ok sounds like it's from that graphics card then. Yeah it's good to switch over to AMD - it has to be done eventually. Maybe one of the Vega cards, but others might have suggestions for you too. (So far only my main machine has made the switch, and I just decided to max it out)
Thank you for the help @kylec, @mm2margaret and @pieropontra, and @djbuddha. I bought a Sapphire Nitro Vega 64 card (I didn't realize how much bigger it would be than my GTX 1060! That puppy's long).

When I switch to 4g Decoding Off in the BIOS, I get the 8 beeps again (and the LCD on my mother board says "load VGA Bios"). And then if I do a CMOS reset and put 4g off, it again does the 8 beeps. So I don't think it's the graphics card or some kind of conflicting BIOS settings.

Here are a few pics of my configuration (including where things get stuck in verbose mode). Anyone with (or without) a Prime Deluxe II have any suggestions?

Also, when trying to install Clover2.5 (5102) on my macbook pro (Mojave 10.14.6), I get the error below saying the package is incompatible.

IMG_8284.jpg

IMG_8282.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 11.04.39 PM.png

Thank you for the help @kylec, @mm2margaret and @pieropontra, and @djbuddha. I bought a Sapphire Nitro Vega 64 card (I didn't realize how much bigger it would be than my GTX 1060! That puppy's long).

When I switch to 4g Decoding Off in the BIOS, I get the 8 beeps again (and the LCD on my mother board says "load VGA Bios"). And then if I do a CMOS reset and put 4g off, it again does the 8 beeps. So I don't think it's the graphics card or some kind of conflicting BIOS settings.

Here are a few pics of my configuration (including where things get stuck in verbose mode). Anyone with (or without) a Prime Deluxe II have any suggestions?

Also, when trying to install Clover2.5 (5102) on my macbook pro (Mojave 10.14.6), I get the error below saying the package is incompatible.

View attachment 445773
View attachment 445774

View attachment 445775

Hi, Hello All after while :)

(Actually after ridiculous suspension, because I replayed and want help to one of you, but let's forget about that)

Hi @garbage914 If you bought Vega 64 - it was great choice :thumbup:
In my opinion you should make completely new EFI config - I come back after while, but

very often we all forget about some important details, I saw you used HS before,
so a lot of thing changed.
If you have deluxe II - some users already shared their EFI here, which can be much easier for you
and your first installation.

4G decoding should be ON (I don't know if something changed with new Catalina in last 2 months,
but personally I never use 4G decoding off in any of my X299 OS-X installations) :)
If you want to install Mojave (in my opinion it's the best option to best stability and usage of all your actual applications)
High Sierra is tooo old, and Catalina supports only 64bit apps. ;)
I have Catalina installed on separated drive, but still my Mojave is best stable choice for my every day usage :)

IF I were you: First thing to do: go to update new BIOS
then: Check all settings with KGP Mojave guide or even thease options mentioned X times in this thread :)
after: Prepare your new EFI folder with basic setting - based on one of shared EFI in this thread
then: Let us know where you are - and for more help details ;)

Have a great week (for all) :) :thumbup:

Last edited:
So, you've hit a snag that I think is fairly common with Asus motherboards and some Sapphire graphics cards. The Sapphires, for some of them (and not all of them, just some), don't seem to initialize the way the Asus motherboard wants them to. Then you get the 8 beep salute and no display.

If I were you, first I would contact Sapphire to see if you can find any info, updates, etc that might resolve your issue. Tell them you're installing Windows, if they ask, and see if they can respond. After all, you have the card, the serial number is on the card, and you are the legal owner, so they should be able to at least give you some idea of what's going on. Might be a bios setting, or a newer bios that might address the issue.

Next I would contact Asus to see if they have any insight, or to see if a new bios will address the issue.

After all, it's not a Mac problem, or a Hackintosh problem or a Windows problem, is it? It's an incompatability problem between your Graphics card and the Asus motherboard. It's not a software problem, it's a hardware problem.

There may be a bios setting that's screwing you up (like you do have CSM disabled, right?). So, experiment with CSM, and set the timeout for 20 seconds or so, just as a test. Also Fast boot must be disabled. I think kgp covered these settings on his page, and they are relevant.

Finally, remember, if you bought on e-Bay, you have 30 days to return it. Didn't know that? Well, it's almost always the case that if someone ships you something that's defective, you can return it and get your money back. If you got it via a retail store, you usually have up to 15 days to return it.

So, there's some ideas to get you started.....good luck.

I agree that it's rather fishy that you can't POST without that option enabled. Even if you end up needing to enable it to install OS X.

I'm curious what Sapphire says.

I'm not sure if it's something about incompatibility between Sapphire cards and ASUS motherboards, I have both and only one problem (which is not actually a big thing) was different splash screen size at boot, everything else always worked great.

Of course if @garbage914 bought used card, it could be used for mining with different firmware etc
if his card was new, everything should be OK.
(but it could not be something wrong if he change firmware anyway like me - described in page 130 post 1300 of this thread)
Of course if - after all tries, still something is wrong - returning it - is a good idea.

As you said @mm2margaret "not all but some of them could be problematic",
that's why, as I didn't saw any case like that here - It's good to check every solution before returning... (In my opinion)
We will see what @garbage914 will tell us later :)

BTW: I wanted to ask If someone of you already bought (and have at home) :p "10980XE" or any other CPU from 10000 series?
I'm very interested if OSX works correctly with it (and I saw nothing about it in last XX pages here)

BTW: I wanted to ask If someone of you already bought (and have at home) :p "10980XE" or any other CPU from 10000 series?
I'm very interested if OSX works correctly with it (and I saw nothing about it in last XX pages here)

Two posts in the other X299 thread:

I am about to try with i9-10920x and MSI X299 Pro.

Hi @garbage914 If you bought Vega 64 - it was great choice :thumbup:
In my opinion you should make completely new EFI config - I come back after while, but

very often we all forget about some important details, I saw you used HS before,
so a lot of thing changed.
If you have deluxe II - some users already shared their EFI here, which can be much easier for you
and your first installation.

4G decoding should be ON (I don't know if something changed with new Catalina in last 2 months,
but personally I never use 4G decoding off in any of my X299 OS-X installations) :)
If you want to install Mojave (in my opinion it's the best option to best stability and usage of all your actual applications)
High Sierra is tooo old, and Catalina supports only 64bit apps. ;)
I have Catalina installed on separated drive, but still my Mojave is best stable choice for my every day usage :)

IF I were you: First thing to do: go to update new BIOS
then: Check all settings with KGP Mojave guide or even thease options mentioned X times in this thread :)
after: Prepare your new EFI folder with basic setting - based on one of shared EFI in this thread
then: Let us know where you are - and for more help details ;)

Have a great week (for all) :) :thumbup:

I appreciate all the help. Thank you mgregrs, mm2margaret and kylec. Happy to hear the Vega is a good way to go. It wasn't used for mining. The seller was on craigslist and an honest guy who had played video games with it.

My BIOS is the most up to date. I finally got clover installed and I found an EFI folder for the Deluxe II that Loloflatsix had posted back on page 136 of this thread. The only problem is that that EFI folder was for Mojave, and my old build was High Sierra. If I copy the whole EFI folder, my OSX partition doesn't show up in Clover. I tried copying the Kexts and drivers64UEFI folder and config.plist. On OSX startup, my computer seemed to get further than before, but still gets stuck (will post pics below). I could start with a fresh Mojave install, but would much prefer update the High Sierra to Mojave. I probably should have upgraded to Mojave before upgrading from the Prime Deluxe I to the Prime Deluxe II. Any ideas on how to upgrade High Sierra to Mojave? Can I do it externally, or is it easier to get High Sierra up and running and then upgrade within OSX while it's running?

Attachments

• IMG_8311.jpg
    IMG_8311.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8309.jpg
    IMG_8309.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 71
I am about to try with i9-10920x and MSI X299 Pro.

Attention: none of the refreshed X299 boards (Cascade Lake X with up to 256 GB RAM and 48 PCIe-Lanes with 109xx-CPU´s) are working at the moment, and this concerns all refreshed boards from Asus, GB, Asrock, MSI.
I have tested with Asus Prime X299 A-II, MSI X299 Pro and Asus Prime X299 Edition 30, and there are a few more users with Asus A-II, Asrock Taichi CLX and MSI Creator X299. The new CPU´s (109xx) are fine, but there seems a big problem with the extended PCIe-lanes... I hope this is not the end of X299 for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back