Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@izo1 I ended up going back to FakeSMC. VirtualSMC felt like the GPU reporting was incorrect ( like saying my GPU only has 8GB of ram when it has 16GB ). So far I haven't found anything that will properly report Wattage used on my CPU for x299. Most everything else reports well.

Why are you not using VirtualSMC if you're on OpenCore (OC)? FakeSMC is going out the window. OC and all of its packages is the future of Hackintoshing.

There's plenty of OC EFIs available here that you can take and adapt to your system. We already did most of the work for you. Temperatures are properly reported on my end with VSMC for both GPU and CPU. Do you really need to see the wattage of your GPU? Submit a feature request on Acidanthera's Github for their sensors to add wattage.

OC documentations are here.

I don't think I want to help anyone who deviates from proper OC usage. Multiple users such as myself spent hundreds of hours setting up OC properly for X299 and I don't really have the energy or time to go back and forth and explain why things need to happen one way or another.

Sorry, but I don't want to end up micromanaging people's bootloaders on my time off. I personally have a 100% working system (see specs in signature) with OC for many months, and only making small adjustments/maintaining and updating to latest builds of OC over time.

Look at how simple OC is compared to all the bloatware that comes with Clover.

Screen_Shot_2020-01-03_at_8.58.22_PM.png

Last edited:
So, there is a new driver and maybe new firmware for the Titan Ridge on Gigabyte's site. The driver is dated December 2019 (probably to support newer versions of Windows 10) and the firmware is dated October 2019. According to Gigabyte, they want you to install the driver first, then the firmware. But you, I would think, are on the latest of both of these, correct?

If I were you, I would also test your Dock on that same computer with your Windows 10 drive, per Caldigit's recommendations for Windows: https://archive.caldigit.com/KB/index.asp?KBID=204

In the new version of the software from Gigabyte (on Windows 10), they've fixed the Thunderbolt Control Center and downgraded the other TB utility, the one I used to use, and if you're running the new firmware and drivers, it won't work, but the Thunderbolt Control Center will. And that reminds me, did you approve your Caldigit dock there before trying it on the Mac side? The documentation from Caldigit suggests you should do that before using on Windows, and that fits with all of the other TB devices requirements when using TB on a hackintosh.....at least it has in the past.

If the USB works there, in Windows, I'd still think that it might be a USB port limit issue, but again, not being at your computer, I just don't know and can only guess at what might be wrong......
I updated to this latest driver and I am having an annoying issue. I use a UAD Apollo TB2 audio interface (via TB3->2 adapter) and now, whenever I restart the computer, the Apollo does not connect when the OS boots back up. I have to power cycle the device (thank goodness for working hotswap). I think I am going to try to downgrade because I reached out and Gigabyte's response was:
'Which GIGABYTE motherboard are you using currently to supporting this Titan Ridge card.
Is the board on the list off our website?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-TITAN-RIDGE-rev-10#kf

Also the Titan Ridge is a Thunderbolt 3 controller, the latest Intel driver does not fully support Thunderbolt 1 or 2 devices.'

Does anyone know if downgrading will work?

@izo1 I was not asking you to micromanage my bootloader, I simply asked what you were using for hardware monitoring. Once you told me, I just followed up with a comment regarding my experience with it so far.
I also don't know why you are going off on me in regards to OC. I am happily using OC and have completely ditched Clover, I had already successfully made the move over to OC before asking you about hardware monitoring. The only reason I went back to FakeSMC was due to odd reporting I was seeing from VirtualSMC. I am happy to give VirtualSMC another try.
I didn't know that VirtualSMC was something Acidanthera had written, I will go ahead and put in a feature request regarding CPU Wattage reporting.
On a more personal note, I don't know if I just caught you on a bad day, but I don't think anything I wrote in my 2 previous posts regarding hardware monitoring warrants the aggressive tone you are taking towards me. I was asking a simple and specific question of you as I had seen your screenshot of your hardware monitoring in another post.

Last edited:
So, there is a new driver and maybe new firmware for the Titan Ridge on Gigabyte's site. The driver is dated December 2019 (probably to support newer versions of Windows 10) and the firmware is dated October 2019. According to Gigabyte, they want you to install the driver first, then the firmware. But you, I would think, are on the latest of both of these, correct?

If I were you, I would also test your Dock on that same computer with your Windows 10 drive, per Caldigit's recommendations for Windows: https://archive.caldigit.com/KB/index.asp?KBID=204

In the new version of the software from Gigabyte (on Windows 10), they've fixed the Thunderbolt Control Center and downgraded the other TB utility, the one I used to use, and if you're running the new firmware and drivers, it won't work, but the Thunderbolt Control Center will. And that reminds me, did you approve your Caldigit dock there before trying it on the Mac side? The documentation from Caldigit suggests you should do that before using on Windows, and that fits with all of the other TB devices requirements when using TB on a hackintosh.....at least it has in the past.

If the USB works there, in Windows, I'd still think that it might be a USB port limit issue, but again, not being at your computer, I just don't know and can only guess at what might be wrong......

So the issue exists in both Mac and Windows ... the card came with the latest firmware already installed. Leads me to thinking it’s a USB port issue.

I’m actually about to order the new USB adapter recommended by @izo1 (gotta find the post now) and I’ll probably attach it to that port on the card.

Sidenote: @izo1

I know you recommend using the 19 pin USB to USB2 header connector from the BT/WIFI card .... but something wild happened in my case.

Initially I bought the wrong USB card and had the BT/WIFI plugged to it via the SIONEC cable. When I went to remove the cable it was so tight and even with super careful removal, it managed to destroy the pins on the card (shout-out to Amazon for accepting my return regardless as I bought the cable from them as well). So I’m just going directly from my front panel to the motherboard (my case came with the 19 pin)- I don’t want to plug the SIONEC cable to my expensive Sage board after that. My BT/WIFI is in the other silverstone adapter and I’ve had no connectivity / dropout issues using the SIONEC cable.

Back to the Thunderbolt topic @mm2margaret ... when I get the new USB card, I’m going to plug the USB header from the Titan Ridge to it and see how it goes. I’m suspecting this is the reason none of my other ports (including gigabit Ethernet) are functioning on the dock. It’s a shame because my displays are working flawlessly. (Better than HDMI out of my card which was flakey at times- even with new cables... it would flicker out every few hours). Since I switched to DisplayPort via Thunderbolt 3 and the dock- I have dual 4K / 60 from my Vega 64 and it’s perfect* — (cold booting the machine- I have to remove the Thunderbolt cable and put it back in for the displays to come alive.... but putting the displays to sleep works perfect..... so weird).

Back to the Thunderbolt topic @mm2margaret ... when I get the new USB card, I’m going to plug the USB header from the Titan Ridge to it and see how it goes. I’m suspecting this is the reason none of my other ports (including gigabit Ethernet) are functioning on the dock. It’s a shame because my displays are working flawlessly. (Better than HDMI out of my card which was flakey at times- even with new cables... it would flicker out every few hours). Since I switched to DisplayPort via Thunderbolt 3 and the dock- I have dual 4K / 60 from my Vega 64 and it’s perfect* — (cold booting the machine- I have to remove the Thunderbolt cable and put it back in for the displays to come alive.... but putting the displays to sleep works perfect..... so weird).

You did go through the new TB utility and approve your Caldigit dock, with full permissions, right? If you did, then I hope the new USB card works for you.....

You did go through the new TB utility and approve your Caldigit dock, with full permissions, right? If you did, then I hope the new USB card works for you.....

Forgot to mention that in my novel ... :lol:

Yeah, I triple checked that full permissions were granted.

I think there is something weird with Geekbench and hackintoshes. I delidded and used liquid metal on my CPU which has improved thermals quite a bit, such that I can use "sync all cores" in BIOS now. I'll still need to install my water loop, I think for sustained really long-term work, but Cinebench gets around 9000 now even after a a few runs in a row. Geekbench 5 can't complete it's run with all cores sync'd. Both the Intel Power gadget app and iStat say there's more thermal overhead left (only about 80C), but it freezes (ie kernel panic). Weird...

Thanks for all the help though!

So the issue exists in both Mac and Windows ... the card came with the latest firmware already installed. Leads me to thinking it’s a USB port issue.

I’m actually about to order the new USB adapter recommended by @izo1 (gotta find the post now) and I’ll probably attach it to that port on the card.

Sidenote: @izo1

I know you recommend using the 19 pin USB to USB2 header connector from the BT/WIFI card .... but something wild happened in my case.

Initially I bought the wrong USB card and had the BT/WIFI plugged to it via the SIONEC cable. When I went to remove the cable it was so tight and even with super careful removal, it managed to destroy the pins on the card (shout-out to Amazon for accepting my return regardless as I bought the cable from them as well). So I’m just going directly from my front panel to the motherboard (my case came with the 19 pin)- I don’t want to plug the SIONEC cable to my expensive Sage board after that. My BT/WIFI is in the other silverstone adapter and I’ve had no connectivity / dropout issues using the SIONEC cable.

The reason why we recommend using the internal 19 pin header to the wifi/bt card is we can set the specific USB ports as internal. While not required, it provides better stability for bt and you can use press to wake from a bt keyboard (at least in my experience YMMV). If that doesn’t matter to you then you can use a usb pcie card. Another option is using a cable from your rear USB ports and feed it into your case with an adapter. I previously did this so I wouldn’t have to use a pcie card for my front usb 3 ports.

Huh, I tested Geekbench 5 in windows and it crashes (BSOD) too. Must be some weird incompatibility with the ASUS WS Sage or something like that.

I don’t really care, but GB is a pretty common metric and figured it might be a good comparison. Cinebench R20 seems like a better one anyway.

Huh, I tested Geekbench 5 in windows and it crashes (BSOD) too. Must be some weird incompatibility with the ASUS WS Sage or something like that.

I don’t really care, but GB is a pretty common metric and figured it might be a good comparison. Cinebench R20 seems like a better one anyway.

Hi,

I had your same issue with my 9980XE, I lowered clocks and problem disappeared. I think GB5 goes hard on some CPU tasks, infact my system is stable with GB5 only when it passes Prime95 hardest torture test. Me too I had same issue both in win10 and Catalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back