Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, my final, final, final comment. I have NEVER had to "rescan" with device manager or anything else in Windows to get the device or device(s) recognized. Once the firmware has been updated and the drivers have been installed, that's it. Done and done. But not in your case. You have said that you have to re-scan, and that suggests something about a hardware issue. Don't know what is wrong, but I would start with a different TB card.

So a few months later ...

I got another card, which instantly kicked on my displays through the Caldigit dock in Windows. So it seems like it was definitely the card.... no need to rescan!

But none of the USB ports on the dock are connecting in Windows. And, even though I didn’t have the macOS drive connected when I was in windows, suddenly it’s just refusing to boot now. So I’m going to sort that first before I continue.

So a few months later ...

I got another card, which instantly kicked on my displays through the Caldigit dock in Windows. So it seems like it was definitely the card.... no need to rescan!

But none of the USB ports on the dock are connecting in Windows. And, even though I didn’t have the macOS drive connected when I was in windows, suddenly it’s just refusing to boot now. So I’m going to sort that first before I continue.

Well, happy to hear you got some of it sorted......Hope it doesn't take you long to figure out this current problem, but I think you'll get it figured out......does the Caldigit require drivers for Windows? Well, anyway, good luck!

Slight update:

Displays are working in MacOS (even hotplug - see the video)

but my USB ports & Ethernet on the dock aren’t yet ....:O

Left display is connected via Displayport to the dock, right display is connected from the Thunderbolt thru port on the dock to USB-C on the monitor.

Dock functions perfectly on my 2017 Macbook Pro. Any ideas?

Well, happy to hear you got some of it sorted......Hope it doesn't take you long to figure out this current problem, but I think you'll get it figured out......does the Caldigit require drivers for Windows? Well, anyway, good luck!

Seems like the same issue exists in MacOS. The dock works fine with my 2017 Macbook Pro running Sierra ... I'm confused lol

Seems like the same issue exists in MacOS. The dock works fine with my 2017 Macbook Pro running Sierra ... I'm confused lol
Sorry, don't know anything about that dock. You might want to double check your USB port mapping....but not sure....again, don't know that dock.

I moved over to OpenCore today, not too difficult. I have a pretty damn good working setup now ( built off CC and then moved to OpenCore )
The biggest win was the shock that the Bluetooth on the ASUS Rampage VI Extreme is supported out of the box!!

I just moved over to VirtualSMC and I don't get any GPU temps off my Radeon VII, and I my i9 7940x won't report my wattage correctly in either istat menu or intel power gadget ( or any other reporter I have seen )

Once I learned of VoodooTSCSync.kext my issues poofed! Getting USBMap ironed out was a nice update as well.

I haven't tried to tackle sleep yet, but I am super happy with how well this Mojave 10.14.6 setup is now working.

Overall I am super happy with how well things have worked out. The move to OpenCore just increased my understanding of how everything works together, in particular SSDTs.

Besides the concern of temp and wattage monitoring, my last issue I would like to resolve would be the spam I get in regards to this:

AppleUSB20HubPort@14132200: AppleUSBHostPort::disconnect: persistent enumeration failures

I get hammered with these in the console. I was able to get rid of this issue by turning off Above 4G Decoding, but I then lost all my USB ports except 1 as that one is special, the rest are USB 3. That wasn't a fix, and seeing USBMap reports that I am down to 7 or 8 USB ports, I am under the 15 limit. Anyone have any ideas?

@izo1 What are you using for hardware monitor both program and kext wise?

I use HWMonitorSMC2 for temp monitoring. You will need to use SMCSuperIo and SMCProcessor kextx along with VirtualSMC.

Have you connected all cables on the Titan Ridge card to the mobo (mobo header, USB2, etc)? And also the PSU cables? Also make sure it shows up in IOReg. It might be using USB2 for certain things in macOS, who knows, so that cable needs to be connected (and made sure the XHC port is visible). It might work in Windows, but maybe macOS needs to connect to it a little differently.

Last edited:
@BluewaterVA The move wasn't too difficult, there are alot of good guides, and had a few questions answered on Discord which was helpful.

@izo1 I ended up going back to FakeSMC. VirtualSMC felt like the GPU reporting was incorrect ( like saying my GPU only has 8GB of ram when it has 16GB ). So far I haven't found anything that will properly report Wattage used on my CPU for x299. Most everything else reports well.

So, there is a new driver and maybe new firmware for the Titan Ridge on Gigabyte's site. The driver is dated December 2019 (probably to support newer versions of Windows 10) and the firmware is dated October 2019. According to Gigabyte, they want you to install the driver first, then the firmware. But you, I would think, are on the latest of both of these, correct?

If I were you, I would also test your Dock on that same computer with your Windows 10 drive, per Caldigit's recommendations for Windows: https://archive.caldigit.com/KB/index.asp?KBID=204

In the new version of the software from Gigabyte (on Windows 10), they've fixed the Thunderbolt Control Center and downgraded the other TB utility, the one I used to use, and if you're running the new firmware and drivers, it won't work, but the Thunderbolt Control Center will. And that reminds me, did you approve your Caldigit dock there before trying it on the Mac side? The documentation from Caldigit suggests you should do that before using on Windows, and that fits with all of the other TB devices requirements when using TB on a hackintosh.....at least it has in the past.

If the USB works there, in Windows, I'd still think that it might be a USB port limit issue, but again, not being at your computer, I just don't know and can only guess at what might be wrong......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back