Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new MacOs Mojave install on a Asus X299 Prime A - i9 9940X OC all cores at 4.4Gh - Vega 64 - 128Go 3200Mhz it's so nice Guys! But CPU showing "unknown cpu"..?

how I can fix this?

You should edit your config.plist :

Code:
<key>CPU</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Type</key>
        <string>0x0F01</string>

The attached BIOS is the latest version (1902) for the ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe I (not II) mobo.

The attached, modified BIOS uses the image below as a replacement for the ASUS stock image. I've been using this modified BIOS for a few weeks and it works well and is completely stable (unlike earlier BIOS releases for this mobo).

(In fact, I'd about given up on this mobo, but decided to give it one more go before moving on; this new BIOS was the ticket.)

I prepared the BIOS following the instructions laid out by KGP on the first post of his massive thread (I didn't quite like his image, nor that version of the BIOS). I re-sized the chosen image in an iterative process to maximize the size in order to fit in place of the stock ASUS image. I believe the image was created by someone known as Howiedi2.

This BIOS is flashed as per the ASUS manual. Before flashing, please duplicate (to keep a copy) and then rename the duplicate file to X299D.CAP prior to use.

Of course, after flashing, you'll need to either re-enter proper BIOS settings (if upgrading from an earlier BIOS), or, re-load previously saved settings (if re-flashing the same version), before booting into the Mac OS.

Again, the attached BIOS is ONLY for the ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe version I mobo. As with all posts regarding BIOS, use at your own risk.

EDITED 23 Sept 2019 (last updated: 23 Sept 2019)

added more modified BIOS (latest versions) for various X299 mobos. Listing to date:

ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe (I)
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II
ASUS X299 Sage/10G
ASUS X299 ROG Rampage VI

ASRock X299 ITX/ac
ASRock X299 Extreme 4
ASRock Fatalty i9 XE

Gigabyte X299 Designare EX

This may not work for any GB mobo: I only have a GB Z390 Designare to test. I tried various image sizes, including the exact same size as the GB logo. Each time when I tried to flash the BIOS, I got "Invalid BIOS Image" error, and wouldn't flash. This may be due to an internal "Security Flash Check", which may prevent a successful flashing of any modded BIOS.

I downloaded the latest version of each BIOS from the their respective manufacturer's web site, and then substituted the image below for the stock image.

Remember to re-name each BIOS as per the manual for the respective mobo prior to flashing.

EDITED 6 Oct 2019: updated BIOS for ASUS (Sage/10G is not yet available) for Intel X-Series 10000 Processors.

The 1902 BIOS is very stable on my PD1 mobo, so I'm sticking with 1902, rather than changing to 2002 (also, I'm not planning on changing out my 9980XE).

View attachment 427018

Asus X299 Deluxe II BIOS
i have same mother i dont know why i get runtime error quite often at boot? do you ever get runtime error?
Version 0802
2019/10/04
PRIME-X299-DELUXE-II BIOS 0802
1.Add support for Intel® Core™ X-Series 10000 Processor Family
2.Improve system performance and stability.
3. Change the default setting for ASUS MultiCore Enhancement to disabled.
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (X299D2.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.

just ugraded to 0802, so far so good.
do you get runtime error on boot?

That chipset is not supported in macOS. Disable it in the BIOS and get a supported PCIe 10g card, like the Aquantia 107. They're affordable.

Yes I read on that. Any idea on the hotplug ?

Yes I read on that. Any idea on the hotplug ?

For TB3? Not sure, haven't really used it much. Don't have many TB3 devices, just 1 drive to test.

I guess not?????????

Thanks 10.15.2 seems to be very solid but I would like to get WiFi.

If the onboard wifi is Intel, no it won't work in a hackintosh. Not until Apple provides a computer that works with Intel wifi, and I don't believe they have adopted Intel wifi in their computers just yet.

I'm still having random lockups, although it does seem to be related to heavier CPU use (can't get through a GeekBench run). Is anyone out there using an Asus WS Sage X299 WITHOUT 10G and would care to share their EFI folder? I'm pretty sure something isn't configured correctly (SSDT?).

I think there may be a problem with Catalina 10.15.2, in combination, perhaps with the Sage Motherboard, or this Sage board specifically. I was having the same issue and went back to 10.15.1 and the lockups went away.

I am moving on to 10.15.3 Beta 1, and so far, it's been fine with no lockups.

Last edited:
Interesting. I’m still on 10.14.6. Maybe I should upgrade to Catalina?

Interesting. I’m still on 10.14.6. Maybe I should upgrade to Catalina?

Wait for .3 or .4

Catalina isn't Apple's greatest release, lots of major changes under the hood.

And also you lose 32bit if that's important at all.

I'm still on 10.14.6, working flawlessly.

Catalina on a secondary SSD for testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back