Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Caldigit Thunderbolt 3 dock I use currently with my 2017 MBP which I'm going to eventually use with this new machine. Funny thing, if I plug a USB-C drive into the Titan Ridge, it comes up (full speed too) but that isn't overly surprising.

Looks like I'm re-installing Windows 10 on an external to try again. Weird thing, I had a LOT of issues getting the firmware to install (the installer just wasn't having it) but it did confirm the firmware update eventually (had to deep dive in Device Manager to get the driver installed for some strange reason).

Make sure Thunderbolt Security is set to 0. It has a tendency not to save that setting initially for whatever reason but once it’s set to 0 it’ll stay.

I don' worry about OC, I make this everyday on PC gamers for my clients. Only think is X299 hackintosh install. Can you look for my EFI folder? I can't finish install

i9-9940X
Asus X299 Prime A
Gigabyte Radeon Vega 64

Your config is basically empty?

Please follow the guide and the provided config in that other thread.

Make sure Thunderbolt security is set to 0. It has a tendency not to save that setting initially for whatever reason but once it’s set to 0 it’ll stay.

Triple checked that, and just checked that again, it's set to SL0-No Security.

I'm completely stumped.

So I'm hoping you have a drive or some kind of TB device to test with. If you do, try it first in Windows, and make sure you set the permissions there in Windows to all (everyone, every thing). See if you can then access the drive. Don't proceed to the Mac side until you can reliably access the drive. You should be able to unload it, then re-plug it in, and reload it, per normal behaviour for a TB device.

If you have any trouble, double check your settings in the BIOS. Get it to work normally in Windows, then move to the Mac. Check the drivers, the TB utility (in Windows), etc. You should be able to start the utility and then you should see your drive/device attached to one of the two TB ports. Until this works, there's no point in moving to the Mac. Once it works here, in Windows, you've got a good shot of it working on the Mac side.

At first, on the Mac side, connect the device (s) before starting up. Then look on the Mac side to see if your drive/device is there. If it is, you can try to eject it and reload it, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work. Doesn't for me, while others claim it does for them. Not sure why, but that's the way it works for some sometimes. Could be my TB1 drive, not sure about that. But try it this way, and see if you can at least get a drive to show up on the Mac side.

Good luck!

EDIT: And, you should keep in mind that you might have a bad card....doesn't occur very often, but it happens....

Works perfect in Windows..... even made a video featuring the mess that is my computer room at the moment! :banghead:

Firmware is the latest according to the utility.... I’m absolutely lost now.... and hours and hours past my bedtime :banghead::mad:

Copy these files to EFI->Clover->ACPI->Patched

After copying the files into the directory on the EFI partition (assuming that’s where it goes).... is there anything else I need to
do? I’m in bed and stumbled upon this:

Clover: Files should be placed on the Clover bootloader partition (usually the EFI partition), in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched. DSDT.aml, if present, will automatically replace the OEM DSDT. This guide (and other guides linked from this guide) assumes you are using config.plist/ACPI/AutoMerge=true, config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/DropOem=false. With AutoMerge=true, patched SSDTs can be placed in ACPI/patched with their original name (from ACPI/origin) and they will be inserted such that the original order of SSDTs is not disturbed. It is not necessary (or advised) to use SortedOrder with AutoMerge=true.

When I wake up tomorrow I’m checking this- I’m assuming this is buried in my config.plist file correct?

@djbuddha
First of all, you need to check that Windows applications and drivers are correctly installed.
After booting, on the top right of the screen, thunderbolt app must be running like that :

Annotation 2019-12-04 091307.png

Now go on Devices Manager and see on system peripherals :

You must find your thunderbolt id at the bottom for me is Thunderbolt 1577 and usb billboard is my screen connected through USB_C

Annotation 2019-12-04 091520.png

Annotation 2019-12-04 091601.png

So now it may work on MacOS

Works perfect in Windows..... even made a video featuring the mess that is my computer room at the moment! :banghead:

Firmware is the latest according to the utility.... I’m absolutely lost now.... and hours and hours past my bedtime :banghead::mad:

Hey,
I've spent a few hours flashing and then checking 4* GC-Titan Ridge controllers (for future builds) last Thursday.

All 4 flashed w/o issues.
All 4 worked on Windows.
But only 2 worked on macOS:banghead::crazy:.

Then I noticed (Thunderbolt software panel on Windows) that non-working on macOS controllers had security level 1, not 0, although it was set to 0 in BIOS.

The next procedure helped me to fix 2 non-working controllers:
switch security level to 1 in BIOS
boot into macOS
reboot
switch security level to 0 in BIOS
boot into macOS
success:headbang:

@djbuddha
First of all, you need to check that Windows applications and drivers are correctly installed.
After booting, on the top right of the screen, thunderbolt app must be running like that :

View attachment 438718

Now go on Devices Manager and see on system peripherals :

You must find your thunderbolt id at the bottom for me is Thunderbolt 1577 and usb billboard is my screen connected through USB_C

View attachment 438719

View attachment 438720

So now it may work on MacOS

696E2907-0E3F-4B3F-96D0-E454DC55E0A7.jpeg
7761E4EC-25F4-4884-9151-287F18FF7F97.jpeg

The driver works fine in Windows, not sure about the digits on the end mind you.

Hey,
I've spent a few hours flashing and then checking 4* GC-Titan Ridge controllers (for future builds) last Thursday.

All 4 flashed w/o issues.
All 4 worked on Windows.
But only 2 worked on macOS:banghead::crazy:.

Then I noticed (Thunderbolt software panel on Windows) that non-working on macOS controllers had security level 1, not 0, although it was set to 0 in BIOS.

The next procedure helped me to fix 2 non-working controllers:
switch security level to 1 in BIOS
boot into macOS
reboot
switch security level to 0 in BIOS
boot into macOS
success:headbang:

See the above image, in Windows it’s set to No Security (SL0).

I’m going to try your adjust security / reboot solution now.

Everyone is on firmware version 43 correct?

View attachment 438734View attachment 438735

The driver works fine in Windows, not sure about the digits on the end mind you.

See the above image, in Windows it’s set to No Security (SL0).

I’m going to try your adjust security / reboot solution now.

Everyone is on firmware version 43 correct?

Ok it looks good and very annoying it does not work on MacOS. :roll2:

Ok it looks good and very annoying it does not work on MacOS. :roll2:

This has to be something I’m doing wrong in macOS. I am completely lost. The reboot security trick @Il.F posted above didn’t work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back