Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big ooph ...

Still not a bad deal at $999, or if you can find a used 9980XE or delidded 7980XE.

I'm very happy with the 9980XE @ 4.4Ghz on all cores, probably will last me for a long time. That is if i don't get rid of the whole thing and just go with the new Mac Pro (which seems outdated already after AMD announcements haha)

Tried this earlier, my idle temps are the same now (35 C) but load is still high.

If you have Windows on the system, you could test the temps there to see to eliminate that something in macOS is causing the high temps. Not a big deal, but something to try. For me, I can boot directly into a Windows partition, and that's handy because so many more diagnostic tools are available on Windows that are not available on Macs.

I had a similar problem with a 7940x that I was using. I very very carefully re-applied my thermal paste (and used kryonaut - thermal grizzly), and then manually adjusted the fan parameters in the bios, and I got back about 10 degrees.

But, on the overall, what I can say is that these Intel X299 chips tend to run hot. 35 C on idle is not bad, actually, so in what apps are you getting those high temps? Is it Handbrake?

Still not a bad deal at $999, or if you can find a used 9980XE or delidded 7980XE.

I'm very happy with the 9980XE @ 4.4Ghz on all cores, probably will last me for a long time. That is if i don't get rid of the whole thing and just go with the new Mac Pro (which seems outdated already after AMD announcements haha)

Hey mate! What voltage and AVX offsets do you use with your 9980XE? Cause I can’t go so high at 4.4 without being unstable with prime 95 torture test! I settled at 4.1 i think and a pretty heavy AVX offset

Hey mate! What voltage and AVX offsets do you use with your 9980XE? Cause I can’t go so high at 4.4 without being unstable with prime 95 torture test! I settled at 4.1 i think and a pretty heavy AVX offset

4/4

Tried this earlier, my idle temps are the same now (35 C) but load is still high.
35° is normal on idle under overclock. All PC gamer under high end overclocking I've made last years, temps always between 32°/40°(max) on idle. Depending on air, aio or watercooling. Double or Quad channel Platforms. Under MacOs is more difficult for stability than Windows at same OC. Without OC, temp must be under 30°. But above 90° at default parameters even at heavy loads is abominably temp. Where are you live now is winter or summer? Are you on air, aio or W.cooling?

If you have Windows on the system, you could test the temps there to see to eliminate that something in macOS is causing the high temps. Not a big deal, but something to try. For me, I can boot directly into a Windows partition, and that's handy because so many more diagnostic tools are available on Windows that are not available on Macs.

I had a similar problem with a 7940x that I was using. I very very carefully re-applied my thermal paste (and used kryonaut - thermal grizzly), and then manually adjusted the fan parameters in the bios, and I got back about 10 degrees.

But, on the overall, what I can say is that these Intel X299 chips tend to run hot. 35 C on idle is not bad, actually, so in what apps are you getting those high temps? Is it Handbrake?

I’ll try in windows soon.

I’m using Sorenson Squeeze for work and Handbrake for other transcodes and both yield the same behaviour.

35° is normal on idle under overclock. All PC gamer under high end overclocking I've made last years, temps always between 32°/40°(max) on idle. Depending on air, aio or watercooling. Double or Quad channel Platforms. Under MacOs is more difficult for stability than Windows at same OC. Without OC, temp must be under 30°. But above 90° at default parameters even at heavy loads is abominably temp. Where are you live now is winter or summer? Are you on air, aio or W.cooling?

It’s winter here- which scares me a bit (I’m even in a basement with laminate flooring). Also, I’m using Corsair H150i Pro AIO water cooling.

So, I'm getting 28 degrees shortly after loading, and all I'm using is XMP. I'm just not desperate to OC, I guess, and even @kgp stopped OC'ing, which he mentioned in one of his later posts.

Yea, Handbrake is a great test of your cooling function in your computer(!).....I don't use Sorenson, but I'm guessing it does the same.

My 7980xe was custom de-lidded with liquid metal by Silicon Lottery, and while everybody thinks that since Intel went with solder instead of paste with the 99xx X299 series, things would be fantastic. But solder isn't liquid metal. Solder is better than paste for sure, but I'm not convinced solder is the best answer for these X299 chips....

If you do a "sysctl -a | grep cpu.feat" without the quotes, of course, you can see if your system supports AVX, which if you adjust, might also help. Mine says it supports AVX1.0, but no mention of AVX512.....

Have you ever tried a custom cooling profile in the bios? Maybe you could drop it a few degrees....but maybe I'm not the best person to respond as I don't OC.....???

From ARSTechnica: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...rward-for-ai-a-step-back-for-everything-else/

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 9.22.05 AM.png

What CPU Core Ratio are you use? And CPU VCore?

Guys, now I finally can boot on USB installer. But, on reboot, install stop and freeze at 15 min. Ideas why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back