Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the guide:

E.7) GC-Titan Ridge / GC-Alpine Ridge or ASUS TBEX 3 Add-in PCIe Adapter Implementation

For the successful implementation of the GC-Titan Ridge (recommended), GC-Alpine Ridge (compatible) or ASUS Thunderbolt EX3 (R.I.P) PCIe Add-In Adapters, a fully working Dual Boot System with an UEFI Windows Implementation is unfortunately absolutely mandatory.
Ok so you may need install drivers on Windows :think: (But I remember discussing this with Kgp after installing the latest Intel ME drivers and losing my TBEX3.;))

Hi @normbartley , before copying the EFI folder to the installation unit, you must install Cover in the installation unit (use version 5070), once installed, delete the EFI folder and replace with the EFI folder provided, remember to empty the trash. Once you have the system installed, you must do the same on the hard drive. I think, if you use an M.2 hard drive, it is not necessary to install Clover, drag the EFI folder and now, but if it is SSD or HD, you must first install Clover, try it and tell us, regards.

Many thanks again, @WoodCabin, for steering me in the right direction. Catalina is up and running perfectly. The problem was mostly related to having to "unlearn" using the EVGA X299 board, and become more comfortable with the ASUS board. I was booting from the wrong EFI partition (D'oh!). After sorting that out, I got a USB installer mostly working except for a blank screen when the GUI was supposed to appear. I discovered that I needed the latest WhateverGreen.kext to fix the blank-screen issue for my video card. Up and running! Cheers.

Last edited:
Many thanks again, @WoodCabin, for steering me in the right direction. Catalina is up and running perfectly. The problem was mostly related having to "unlearn" using the EVGA X299 board, and become more comfortable with the ASUS board. I was booting from the wrong EFI partition. After sorting that out, I got a working USB installer mostly working except for a blank screen when the GUI was supposed to appear. I discovered that I needed the latest WhateverGreen.kext to fix the blank-screen issue for my video card. Up and running! Cheers.

I also experimented issue with my EVGA X299 FTWK, and, after success installation of High Sierra, I was unable to install Mojave by the end of 2018 because of the locked MSR 0xE2 BIOS Register. (Nobody helped me solve this problem.)
I ordered the ASUS PRIME X299 Deluxe and the problem was solved. It is my main system for now.
But in March 2019, in the thread X299 Mojave, someone posted the new Kernel To Patch for Mojave ( xcpm_core_scope_msrs ), and I was able to install on my EVGA X299 FTWK build MacOS Mojave. After a few adjustments, everything is perfect as on my Asus build. Now I upgraded on Catalina 10.15.1 without problem.
Just keep in mind that some little things can make the best experience with different motherboards
I am not partisan to concentrate the subject as Kgp on a single brand of product. E.G. : EVGA is as reliable as other brands. All the best, cheers.

Last edited:
Due to an insane work week, I’ve done minimal on this machine (I installed my old Fenvi adapter and have wifi working - no Bluetooth yet- I needed the silverstone card- which I ordered and am waiting on).

I’ve been using an old H264 encoder with specific settings for my day job- and I’ll say this right off the bat.... this 9900X w/ 64 GB of RAM is awesome. I’m cooling it with an H150i Pro and literally peg the chip at 98% usage and it hasn’t gone over 75 degrees so I’m comfortable with that.

I still have to reinstall Mojave and attempt to fix the boot issue- saving that for next Saturday when I finally get a weekend to myself. Then I’ll go through and finish all the steps.

@izo1 I moved the video card to slot 5 and installed my Fenvi in slot 1 and so far so good. I read on ASUS’ page that the 10th series i9 is supported via BIOS update 2002. Is there a reason to avoid this BIOS? The guys at my local computer store are going to let me return my 9900X when the 10980XE comes in (they’re actually really excited for me and are allowing me to take advantage of their holiday return policy) :lol:

I still need to boot Windows to flash the Titan Ridge.

I still need to boot into Ubuntu to mod the 10gbe chipset.

Lots to do- so little free time lately.

2002 BIOS works fine for me.

I also experimented issue with my EVGA X299 FTWK and after success installation of High Sierra, I was unable to install Mojave by the end of 2018 because of the locked MSR 0xE2 BIOS Register. (nobody helped me solve this problem).
I ordered the ASUS PRIME X299 Deluxe and the problem was solved. It is my main system for now.
But in March 2019, in the thread X299 Mojave, someone posted the new Kernel To Patch for Mojave ( xcpm_core_scope_msrs ) and I was able to install on my EVGA X299 FTWK build MacOS Mojave and after a few adjustments, everything is perfect as on my Asus build. Now I upgraded on Catalina 10.15.1 without problem.
Just keep in mind that some little things can make the best experience with different motherboards
I am not partisan to concentrate the subject as Kgp on a single brand of product. E.G. : EVGA is as reliable as other brands. All the best, cheers.
I completely agree about the reliability of the EVGA board. It is without question a top-quality product, and I have been perfectly happy with it. The micro-ATX form factor and very positive reviews are what initially drew me to it. I, too, was stuck with a non-bootable Mojave until the kernel patch was posted (and which is now included in kgp's X299 EFI collection). A contributor in the EVGA X299 thread even tried to coax EVGA into unlocking the MSR 0xE2 register in some future BIOS upgrade, but nothing doing. I decided only recently to jump to the ASUS product, and I'm delighted with both the board and the MSR freedom! And now with a fully functioning Catalina. Cheers.

I completely agree about the reliability of the EVGA board. It is without question a top-quality product, and I have been perfectly happy with it. The micro-ATX form factor and very positive reviews are what initially drew me to it. I, too, was stuck with a non-bootable Mojave until the kernel patch was posted (and which is now included in kgp's X299 EFI collection). A contributor in the EVGA X299 thread even tried to coax EVGA into unlocking the MSR 0xE2 register in some future BIOS upgrade, but nothing doing. I decided only recently to jump to the ASUS product, and I'm delighted with both the board and the MSR freedom! And now with a fully functioning Catalina. Cheers.

Totally agree with you :thumbup:

I also experimented issue with my EVGA X299 FTWK and after success installation of High Sierra, I was unable to install Mojave by the end of 2018 because of the locked MSR 0xE2 BIOS Register. (nobody helped me solve this problem).
But in March 2019, in the thread X299 Mojave, someone posted the new Kernel To Patch for Mojave ( xcpm_core_scope_msrs ) and I was able to install on my EVGA X299 FTWK build MacOS Mojave and after a few adjustments, everything is perfect as on my Asus build. Now I upgraded on Catalina 10.15.1 without problem.

Some of EVGA X299 boards do not lock MSR 0xE2. X299 DARK does lock it. The code segment looks almost the same as ASUS Dominus extreme and easily patched.

Yeah but one question after your post :
Ok to boot Ubuntu live CD for the 10gbe chipset but why to boot in Windows to flash the Titan Ridge ?

Because the files to flash the Titan Ridge card are only available in Windows format, last I looked....that was also true of the Alpine Ridge card.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back