Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think others have answered most of the questions, but yeah SAGE/10G only drawback is lack of extra onboard USB headers.

Use onboard USB3.0 to connect WIFI/BT for stability as mentioned by others. Then silverstone for front ports.

You can put your GPU in Slot 1 if it fits, and put the WIFI/BT combo card in another slot.

Fyi @djbuddha Slot 5 on the SAGE/10G is 16x as seen in screenshot of GPU-Z. So I'm going to leave the GPU in that slot and not touch anything else.

Capture.PNG

Hi @normbartley , before copying the EFI folder to the installation unit, you must install Cover in the installation unit (use version 5070), once installed, delete the EFI folder and replace with the EFI folder provided, remember to empty the trash. Once you have the system installed, you must do the same on the hard drive. I think, if you use an M.2 hard drive, it is not necessary to install Clover, drag the EFI folder and now, but if it is SSD or HD, you must first install Clover, try it and tell us, regards.

Many thanks for the tip, @WoodCabin, I'll give this a try first chance I get, and then let you know! I'm assuming that Clover version 5070 or newer should do the trick. The latest is 5087 (but I'll try 5070, too!). Cheers.

So I'm not entirely sure why, but every time I copy the EFI folder from my USB drive to the EFI partition on my installation drive, it doesn't let me boot. I've tried this about 15 times and have looked everywhere. It's the same process listed everywhere and yet I can't get this thing to boot without needing my USB drive. Help LOL

In fact, even checking the BIOS, my installation drive doesn't even register as bootable at all.

As suggested by @mm2margaret, there may be a problem with your SSD.
You can try with another SSD, if you have one in reserve.
Sometime I stay with old method to initialize my SSD with GParted live CD and after I reformat it with macOs USB installer.

Due to an insane work week, I’ve done minimal on this machine (I installed my old Fenvi adapter and have wifi working - no Bluetooth yet- I needed the silverstone card- which I ordered and am waiting on).

I’ve been using an old H264 encoder with specific settings for my day job- and I’ll say this right off the bat.... this 9900X w/ 64 GB of RAM is awesome. I’m cooling it with an H150i Pro and literally peg the chip at 98% usage and it hasn’t gone over 75 degrees so I’m comfortable with that.

I still have to reinstall Mojave and attempt to fix the boot issue- saving that for next Saturday when I finally get a weekend to myself. Then I’ll go through and finish all the steps.

@izo1 I moved the video card to slot 5 and installed my Fenvi in slot 1 and so far so good. I read on ASUS’ page that the 10th series i9 is supported via BIOS update 2002. Is there a reason to avoid this BIOS? The guys at my local computer store are going to let me return my 9900X when the 10980XE comes in (they’re actually really excited for me and are allowing me to take advantage of their holiday return policy) :lol:

I still need to boot Windows to flash the Titan Ridge.

I still need to boot into Ubuntu to mod the 10gbe chipset.

Lots to do- so little free time lately.

Due to an insane work week I’ve done minimal on this machine (I installed my old Fenvi adapter and have wifi working - no Bluetooth yet- I needed the silverstone card- which I ordered and am waiting on).

I’ve been using an old H264 encoder with specific settings for my day job- and I’ll say this right off the bat.... this 9900X w/ 64 GB of RAM is awesome. I’m cooling it with an H150i Pro and literally peg the chip at 98% usage and it hasn’t gone over 75 degrees so I’m comfortable with that.

I still have to reinstall Mojave and attempt to fix the boot issue- saving that for next Saturday when I finally get a weekend to myself. Then I’ll go through and finish all the steps.

@izo1 I moved the video card to slot 5 and installed my Fenvi in slot 1 and so far so good. I read on ASUS’ page that the 10th series i9 is supported via BIOS update 2002. Is there a reason to avoid this BIOS? The guys at my local computer store are going to let me return my 9900X when the 10980XE comes in (they’re actually really excited for me and are allowing me to take advantage of their holiday return policy) :lol:

I still need to boot Windows to flash the Titan Ridge.

I still need to boot into Ubuntu to mod the 10gbe chipset.

Lots to do- so little free time lately.

Yeah but one question after your post :
Ok to boot Ubuntu live CD for the 10gbe chipset but why to boot in Windows to flash the Titan Ridge ?

Yeah but one question after your post :
Ok to boot Ubuntu live CD for the 10gbe chipset but why to boot in Windows to flash the Titan Ridge ?

From what I read, the Titan Ridge card needs a firmware flash to be recognized in MacOS (which happens automatically when you install the drivers in Windows only)

If I get it working, I understand you can’t do Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 3 networking between 2 computers as of yet, but my dock has 1 gbe Ethernet, that will work once I sort out the Titan Ridge right?

From what I read, the Titan Ridge card needs a firmware flash to be recognized in MacOS (which happens automatically when you install the drivers in Windows only)

May be but Kgp said at the begining of 2019 that it was not necessary like for the TBEX3 : edit ok you agree..

May be but Kgp said at the begining of 2019 that it wa not necessary like for the TBEX3 ?

At this moment the card doesn’t show up in macOS ........ but I may need to do bios settings. Going to attack this next weekend to confirm- I’ll start with that before doing any attempts with Windows

May be but Kgp said at the begining of 2019 that it was not necessary like for the TBEX3 : edit ok you agree..

From the guide:

E.7) GC-Titan Ridge / GC-Alpine Ridge or ASUS TBEX 3 Add-in PCIe Adapter Implementation

For the successful implementation of the GC-Titan Ridge (recommended), GC-Alpine Ridge (compatible) or ASUS Thunderbolt EX3 (R.I.P) PCIe Add-In Adapters, a fully working Dual Boot System with an UEFI Windows Implementation is unfortunately absolutely mandatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back