Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a major difference using the Silverstone for the front panel vs the on-board? I'm assuming doing it the way you're suggesting would make life easier once I get to the USB assignment of things right?

Good to know! Surprised the chipset on the Titan Ridge can't figure out USB 2.0. Interesting.

I believe one downside using Silverstone for front panel is you can’t charge iPads but other than that it’s preferred. There’s better connectivity for BT (Mapping HS01/HS02/SS01/SS02 as internal 255) with onboard and if you want to wake via BT you’ll have to use the onboard 19 pin header. Ideally this board would have two headers or at least a USB 2 header.

Another option is to connect the Wifi/BT to one of the back USB 3 ports. This isn’t the most elegant solution but you can avoid using the Silverstone USB card

For backward compatibility with USB 2.0 over the USB-C/TB connector, otherwise only USB 3.0 devices will work.

You don't have to connect it, but if you do and you connect a mouse for example, it won't work

It's been a LONG time since I had to venture down this rabbit hole. Following the guide is so intense lol.

For example, using APFS and then having to find a way to mount my EFI partition ... aka ... making deals with Jesus. That was unbelievably annoying until I found EFI Mounter v3 in the community software section of the site.

Now with the Sage X299 WS 10 G - do I need to worry about the MSR 0xE2 BIOS register on BIOS version 0905 or does this not apply to me? Also (and I can't believe I can't figure this part out) ... how exactly do I get this machine to just boot off the installation drive? I did this like 10 years ago and LOTS has changed since then it seems.

Last edited:
I'm a former EVGA X299 Micro 2 user, having switched to an ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe II because of MSR-write issues. (I'm really happy with the switch--beautiful board!). I currently have Mojave 10.14.6 running flawlessly on my ASUS board. However, I am having no luck upgrading to Catalina 10.15.1. The screenshot below captures apparent kext-loading problems on bootup.

I can't seem to crack this. I've tried the EFI folders contributed by many, including those of @Loloflatsix, @WoodCabin, and others. I have followed kgp's guide closely, using all the correct ASUS BIOS settings. I've seen similar problems variously reported for Mojave and earlier systems on other forums. I haven't read EVERYTHING on this thread, but from my sampling so far, I haven't seen found anything that works. This doesn't work either: https://github.com/shinoki7/Asus-X299-Hackintosh/tree/master/Clover-EFI-Folder-Distributions

Any tips? Many thanks!

Attachments

• kext-probs.pdf
    243.8 KB · Views: 166
Ok ... so I built a 9900X with 64GB of RAM over the weekend on the Asus Sage 10G WS X299. (This week is already insane, and it's only Monday).

So here's where I'm a little confused.

I ordered the same Silverstone adapter and the adapter cable you recommended- Amazon is late to deliver so I won't be able to power the Bluetooth/Wifi card until I get that stuff. (My case has the 19 pin connector for the front USB-A ports and a seperate USB-C header).

The BCM94360CS2 WIFI/BT Combo Card is going into slot 1 (I followed your thread as quoted above) - that will get powered by the Silverstone USB adapter you recommended (as I'm using that 19 pin connector for front I/O). So far so good right? lol

Forgive me slightly, hadn't built a machine since the build in my signature (Sandy Bridge days) ... so this was daunting and a little refreshing to say the least (so sad ... I used to do this all the time like 15 years ago).

I think others have answered most of the questions, but yeah SAGE/10G only drawback is lack of extra onboard USB headers.

Use onboard USB3.0 to connect WIFI/BT for stability as mentioned by others. Then silverstone for front ports.

You can put your GPU in Slot 1 if it fits, and put the WIFI/BT combo card in another slot.

Following the guide ....

Got to https://github.com/KGP/X299-EFI-Folder-Distributions

Which one am I grabbing for the last Mojave build?

I'm assuming: EFI-X299-10.14.5-Beta-iMacPro1,1-050419

I'm apologizing again for my n00bness... I want to do this without asking as many questions, but I also don't want to miss anything major.

Yes you can use that as a starting point and follow kgp’s Mojave guide.

It's been a LONG time since I had to venture down this rabbit hole. Following the guide is so intense lol.

For example, using APFS and then having to find a way to mount my EFI partition ... aka ... making deals with Jesus. That was unbelievably annoying until I found EFI Mounter v3 in the community software section of the site.

Now with the Sage X299 WS 10 G - do I need to worry about the MSR 0xE2 BIOS register on BIOS version 0905 or does this not apply to me? Also (and I can't believe I can't figure this part out) ... how exactly do I get this machine to just boot off the installation drive? I did this like 10 years ago and LOTS has changed since then it seems.

There used to be a process that involved manually patching the BIOS, ASUS has since then updated their BIOS to have it as an option (I forgot where it is but it’s mentioned in kgp’s guide). Copy the EFI folder you created to the EFI partition on your installation drive.

There used to be a process that involved manually patching the BIOS, ASUS has since then updated their BIOS to have it as an option (I forgot where it is but it’s mentioned in kgp’s guide). Copy the EFI folder you created to the EFI partition on your installation drive.

So I'm not entirely sure why, but every time I copy the EFI folder from my USB drive to the EFI partition on my installation drive, it doesn't let me boot. I've tried this about 15 times and have looked everywhere. It's the same process listed everywhere and yet I can't get this thing to boot without needing my USB drive. Help LOL

In fact, even checking the BIOS, my installation drive doesn't even register as bootable at all.

Hi @normbartley , before copying the EFI folder to the installation unit, you must install Cover in the installation unit (use version 5070), once installed, delete the EFI folder and replace with the EFI folder provided, remember to empty the trash. Once you have the system installed, you must do the same on the hard drive. I think, if you use an M.2 hard drive, it is not necessary to install Clover, drag the EFI folder and now, but if it is SSD or HD, you must first install Clover, try it and tell us, regards.

Last edited:
So I'm not entirely sure why, but every time I copy the EFI folder from my USB drive to the EFI partition on my installation drive, it doesn't let me boot. I've tried this about 15 times and have looked everywhere. It's the same process listed everywhere and yet I can't get this thing to boot without needing my USB drive. Help LOL

In fact, even checking the BIOS, my installation drive doesn't even register as bootable at all.

Well, I have hit this problem, once in a blue moon or so......typically it means that drive, for some reason, requires that you do a full Clover install with booting selected as part of the install process. Then moving your EFI should work.

Things to Check:
- Make sure the drive you've selected to boot your system actually can boot - a damaged boot sector can stop you dead. I once had a Crucial MX500 that would not boot, no matter what I installed on it - Windows, Mac, it just wouldn't boot. I could use it as a data drive, but not as a booting drive.

- When you originally installed Clover on this new drive, somehow it got corrupted - all the more reason to clear the drive and do another install of Clover, make sure in the install process that you select it to install the boot files and then copy the EFI from a known good working boot drive to your troublesome drive.

There are a bunch of other things that could be wrong, but these are typical ones to try and see if you can get past the trouble....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back