Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my personal opinion: Radeon 5700 or XT version it's not worth to buy
You can buy it if you want few more FPS in games, but few games, Vega 64 is still the best choice.
Cheaper option Vega 56, and ... better option for someone who work a lot with graphics Radeon VII
(but only if you earn money with your graphic work)
I will don't talk about price in my place because (France) prices are different than
best luckiest people on the world "US" (who always have best price without :mad: holy "f-word" tax-es of import
and stupid European boosted prices :crazy:) I'm sorry I'm always mad on that subject...

So if you don't care so much about few more fps in gaming,
Vega 64 is the best choice - of course "in my personal opinion and experience" ;)
PS: I don't know from where izo1 is, but 150-200usd it can be magic price,
but maybe for 240-250$ why not (and 295-320$ for new one, or something like that) :p
In every way, it's worth to check it everywhere and take time for best choice for your usage :)

AGREED. Import taxes make me upset here. What’s worse is our shipping companies charge obscene brokerage (imagine taxes then another~$50 to carry the item over the border... on top of shipping cost as well :mad:)

I think this is the card I have to go with from a price perspective. My income is based on a workflow that is FCPX ProRes 4444 / H264 export time dependent. In terms of games, I fire up the occasional NHL ‘19 on my Xbox One X and maybe GTA from time to time so gaming isn’t a priority on this machine. It’s nice that at 1080p I’ll climb over 60fps in almost all cases it seems- so I’m good with it.

Watched this video:

So from what he states: I guess I’m sticking to an iMac Pro SMBIOS? (I gotta check the @kgp guide again after I type this) lol

EDIT: Just read it, looks like iMacPro 1,1 is the sauce :cool:

AGREED. Import taxes make me upset here. What’s worse is our shipping companies charge obscene brokerage (imagine taxes then another~$50 to carry the item over the border... on top of shipping cost as well :mad:)

I think this is the card I have to go with from a price perspective. My income is based on a workflow that is FCPX ProRes 4444 / H264 export time dependent. In terms of games, I fire up the occasional NHL ‘19 on my Xbox One X and maybe GTA from time to time so gaming isn’t a priority on this machine. It’s nice that at 1080p I’ll climb over 60fps in almost all cases it seems- so I’m good with it.

Watched this video:

So from what he states: I guess I’m sticking to an iMac Pro SMBIOS? (I gotta check the @kgp guide again after I type this) lol

EDIT: Just read it, looks like iMacPro 1,1 is the sauce :cool:
Yeah, we used always iMacPro 1.1 SMBIOS since beginning (without very beginning when X299 was not even natively supported). I'm not interested personally in Z270, 390, etc., etc., builds. But last time it was quite fun to me that even these people sometimes use SMBIOS 1.1 - I won't go on details.
But I'm curious if we will be see a difference with new SMBIOS for new MacPro :)

PS: I don't know if I'm only one who have very slow refresh of whole forum (last 10 minutes), like 56K connection :p

Last edited:
Yeah, we used always iMacPro 1.1 SMBIOS since beginning (without very beginning when X299 was not even natively supported). I'm not interested personally in Z270, 390, etc., etc., builds. But last time it was quite fun to me that even these people sometimes use SMBIOS 1.1 - I won't go on details.
But I'm curious if we will be see a difference with new SMBIOS for new MacPro :)

PS: I don't know if I'm only one who have very slow refresh of whole forum (last 10 minutes), like 56K connection :p

I was finally able to get on the site now:lol:

Debating between the X299 Sage 10G / vs non 10G the price difference is ~$200 CAD so the question of the day for everyone reading:

Is Thunderbolt 3 networking between 2 computers functional with the GC-Titan Ridge PCIE Card? I would be networking it to another MacBook Pro w/ Thunderbolt 3. In future and as ambitious as this sounds, next year I may build a clone of this machine and literally network them side by side..... negating the need for 10GBE if Thunderbolt 3 can function in this capacity.

I hope this post shows up in the next month given how the tonymacx86 servers are bogged down today :lol: (also because I can get a non 10 GBE version now brand new, but it’s their last board in stock).

Hello
@ Asus X299 Sage 10G owners
I have this mobo, with a Gigabyte Titan Ridge (thunderbolt 3) and a Radeon VII i(regular dual slots wide GPU)
My case has "only" 7 PCI slots
According to manual I plug the "titan ridge" in the recommended Slot 2 ➧ I can't use Slot 1 for the Radeon VII
capture 2019-11-03 à 21.05.46.png

the block diagram shows (correct me if i'm wrong) that :
- Slot 3 is 8x in my case
- only Slots 5 & 7 are 16x if respectively Slots 4 & 6 are empty ➧ I plug the Radeon VII in Slot 5

I'm planning to buy another dual slot GPU and I realise that I won't fit in on my mobo and my case.

My questions are
Is it possible to put the "titan ridge" in an another slot ?
If not what are the other option ?
Thanks

Hello
@ Asus X299 Sage 10G owners
I have this mobo, with a Gigabyte Titan Ridge (thunderbolt 3) and a Radeon VII i(regular dual slots wide GPU)
My case has "only" 7 PCI slots
According to manual I plug the "titan ridge" in the recommended Slot 2 ➧ I can't use Slot 1 for the Radeon VII
View attachment 434280
the block diagram shows (correct me if i'm wrong) that :
- Slot 3 is 8x in my case
- only Slots 5 & 7 are 16x if respectively Slots 4 & 6 are empty ➧ I plug the Radeon VII in Slot 5

I'm planning to buy another dual slot GPU and I realise that I won't fit in on my mobo and my case.

My questions are
Is it possible to put the "titan ridge" in an another slot ?
If not what are the other option ?
Thanks

I’m curious about this too. Does Thunderbolt 3 networking work with your setup? I just ordered my titan ridge card and am deciding on 10g vs non 10g ... I would love to use Thunderbolt 3 for networking between 2 Thunderbolt 3 devices in my build.

I’m curious about this too. Does Thunderbolt 3 networking work with your setup? I just ordered my titan ridge card and am deciding on 10g vs non 10g ... I would love to use Thunderbolt 3 for networking between 2 Thunderbolt 3 devices in my build.
Hope someone else could answer, because I can't now (I haven't got 2 thunderbolt computers), I use the 10G ethernet ;-)

Hope someone else could answer, because I can't now (I haven't got 2 thunderbolt computers), I use the 10G ethernet ;-)

Man I had high hopes :lol: :lol:

Also I’m so thankful for this forum already. During the slowdown today I was starting to have panic attacks :lol:

Couple of issues, by the time I buy a card and pay brokerage and taxes, it’ll work out being more expensive for a new card. And with an old card, I’m worried that’s it’s been used for mining.
Also, can’t / won’t run Catalina on this thing.

In terms of compatibility- is that Sapphire card going to work for me if I don’t find a cheaper alternative? I ask this because when you work out duties and brokerage, this is the cheapest alternative I’m going to find. Reading up on price / performance in FCPX with the Vega 64, it’s way better even at the price I’m paying vs a Radeon VII at this point.

ok get a vega 56 at least

Ordered the 64 :cool:

So I guess I’ll ask you, too, have you ever tried TB3 networking?:lol:

I don’t believe TB3 networking works. We haven’t found a way to implement the thunderbolt node.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back