Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be a bad thermal application, try taking off the cpu cooler, wiping it with 99% rubbing alcohol, and re-apply the paste.

It should be a very small amount of paste.

Maybe the surface of the cpu cooler isn't flat enough?

I get ~ 30-35c on idle and I run my 360MM custom EK rad at very low fan speeds (push/pull config) for quiet operation with a custom fan curve. It only kicks in when it hits around 65c+, but I have an OC set to all 18 cores at 4.4Ghz. It peaks out at ~84c on full load with fans kicked in to about 75% and that is the TJunction limit for the 9980XE and I also set it to throttle at that temperature.

This is the cable I used for USB2 BT to USB3 onboard.
Infact it's strange because same cpu e same water cooler were used with designarex and temp were very low at idle and max 55° when forced to apps or games. I will try to clean and put again thermal paste. I hope it's not a motherboard problem
Please can you tell me where did you connect pump cable and radiator fans cable? I put pump cable in AIO connector pump (near Audio chip) and radiator fans in CPU_FAN near CPU_OPT connector

Infact it's strange because same cpu e same water cooler were used with designarex and temp were very low at idle and max 55° when forced to apps or games. I will try to clean and put again thermal paste. I hope it's not a motherboard problem
Please can you tell me where did you connect pump cable and radiator fans cable? I put pump cable in AIO connector pump (near Audio chip) and radiator fans in CPU_FAN near CPU_OPT connector

I don't think high temps have anything to do with the motherboard per say. It might just be as simple as a thermal application. If the mobo is reading the temperature wrong, it wouldn't be by a few degrees, it would be something much bigger maybe?

I personally use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste, but something like MX4 will be fine too and shouldn't cause high temps.

I connect the pump cable to CPU_FAN and the radiator fans (I assume yours has a splitter?) to the Phanteks chassis splitter.

You can connect the radiator fans to something like the CHA_FAN1 (I think thats what its called)

CPU_OPT is used if you have a open water cooler and not an AIO, so don't use it in your scenario.

Your pump must not be running at the correct speed, so try that first before messing with the thermal application.

Try to see if after connecting your pump to the CPU_FAN and if in the BIOS if you have applied some preset like Quiet Mode or something....make sure it's running at "Standard".

Over all the idea is to run the CPU fan pump at high speeds, then add a fan curve to your 3 radiator fans. I would even suggest adding 3 more fans and running them at very low speeds as a push/pull config. Less noise and more hot air is moved. There's plenty of chassis splitters out there with SATA power if you need more of those fan ports.

Last edited:
I don't think high temps have anything to do with the motherboard per say. It might just be as simple as a thermal application. If the mobo is reading the temperature wrong, it wouldn't be by a few degrees, it would be something much bigger maybe?

I personally use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste, but something like MX4 will be fine too and shouldn't cause high temps.

I connect the pump cable to CPU_FAN and the radiator fans (I assume yours has a splitter?) to the Phanteks chassis splitter.

You can connect the radiator fans to something like the CHA_FAN1 (I think thats what its called)

CPU_OPT is used if you have a open water cooler and not an AIO, so don't use it in your scenario.

Your pump must not be running at the correct speed, so try that first before messing with the thermal application.

Try to see if after connecting your pump to the CPU_FAN and if in the BIOS if you have applied some preset like Quiet Mode or something....make sure it's running at "Standard".
I will try

A last question about Sage...did you flash 10g lan eeprom with ubuntu?

@izo1 and all other Sage owners.
Recently i "upgraded" from Designare EX X299 to Sage x299 10G. I use an i9 9980XE cooled with OC COOL Eisbaer 360. With Designare cpu temp in idle with no overclock was 28°/29° max Now with Sage (every cpu settings are in AUTO so no overclock!) idle temp is 48°/47° a little bit higher. I'm using bios 1201, i could try to reverse to 0905 but i don't think it's a problem due to bios version....maybe it could be a defective mainboard? Or maybe (i don't think so) i put too much or too less thermal paste?
Whats' your idle temp?
Izo1 please can you send me a link where you bought internal cable to connect usb2 bluetooth controller to usb3 connector?

If, in the bios, you press the F6 key, you will see a semi-graphical view of the fan profiles. Might be worth your time to do a quick check there, just to see if anything is amiss. You can set the fans to different profiles (mine is custom).

Next I would do a short visual check to make sure all three fans are spinning and are spinning at the same speed - no obstructions.

You may have already done this, but in case you haven't, might be worth a look. Neither takes a lot of time.

Thermal paste can be tricky. It seems simple, but if somehow you managed to leave a spot with no protection (I've done it - didn't mean to, but I did it!), that can be trouble. I also use Kryonaut, and I think its probably the best paste. But there is more than one, and it's unlikely that the one you used is causing the issue. Still, it's worth checking....

One of the main reasons I keep Windows on a separate SSD on my system and boot to it from time to time is because of the plethora of free diagnostic utilities there. Many more than on the Mac.

So, if either your motherboard, or the cooler (yes, pump to CPU_FAN), are new, at the end, finally, you might consider swapping it out (an exchange).

My Sage, with my cooler (the top of the line EVGA), with the Auto overclock, I get about ~31 degrees when it's not doing anything heavy....

Not sure if that's helpful, but I hope so....And I forgot, I am using 1201 bios version (but I am also using a delidded 7980xe)

Last edited:
If, in the bios, you press the F6 key, you will see a semi-graphical view of the fan profiles. Might be worth your time to do a quick check there, just to see if anything is amiss. You can set the fans to different profiles (mine is custom).

Next I would do a short visual check to make sure all three fans are spinning and are spinning at the same speed - no obstructions.

You may have already done this, but in case you haven't, might be worth a look. Neither takes a lot of time.

Thermal paste can be tricky. It seems simple, but if somehow you managed to leave a spot with no protection (I've done it - didn't mean to, but I did it!), that can be trouble. I also use Kryonaut, and I think its probably the best paste. But there is more than one, and it's unlikely that the one you used is causing the issue. Still, it's worth checking....

One of the main reasons I keep Windows on a separate SSD on my system and boot to it from time to time is because of the plethora of free diagnostic utilities there. Many more than on the Mac.

So, if either your motherboard, or the cooler (yes, pump to CPU_FAN), are new, at the end, finally, you might consider swapping it out (an exchange).

My Sage, with my cooler (the top of the line EVGA), with the Auto overclock, I get about ~31 degrees when it's not doing anything heavy....

Not sure if that's helpful, but I hope so....And I forgot, I am using 1201 bios version (but I am also using a delidded 7980xe)
About the way to put thermal paste i know that there are several methods...cross 5 points 1 center point etc. I always used 1 central spot (greater than a rice) and then put on the pump...a friend of mine for ex spread the paste over the cpu surface but i read that spreading it's not recommended.
Actually i use Arctic MX-4 thermal paste and i think it's one of the best.

About the way to put thermal paste i know that there are several methods...cross 5 points 1 center point etc. I always used 1 central spot (greater than a rice) and then put on the pump...a friend of mine for ex spread the paste over the cpu surface but i read that spreading it's not recommended.

Sounds fine....as I said, thermal paste is probably not the issue, only worth checkiing in case there might be a bare spot....which, based on what you've said, that seems unlikely....

I used to use the "pea" method for the paste, but I found with these heavy number of CPU chips, I didn't think I was getting the best coverage. It worked, but I wanted to see if I could do better. So I switched to the spreader method, making sure I spread up to 1/4 inch of the edge of the CPU (all four sides), and as thin as possible for paste. Then I set the CPU. This method works better for me. But, I'm not recommending this for anyone else, everybody needs to pick the method that works for them.

Again, it sounds unlikely paste is your problem. Personally, I still would check it, but based on what you've said, it seems like something else is going on that's causing your issue....

Last edited:
I'm almost up for my 2 years renewal.
Nothing much better than my current setup; however there's the i9-10980xe now, RRP < $980. I see a new BIOS for my X299 motherboard that supports this CPU.

So maybe a quick and easy upgrade this year. Anyone considering it?
That's what I want to do - replace 7900X with 109080XE :D
I already updated BIOS to check if everything works great etc...
- I impatient to see someone check it before - in hackintosh config.
I don't have 1100€ ready for buying it, but it's a good moment to wait and
look what we will use for cpu id, how it will perform on Mojave, Catalina etc...
More PCI lines (what I want in 1st place) and 18cores for half of price - I still can't belive :) :p

I can't tell a lot about GPU OC, but about thermal paste (after hundreds of hardware tested - mine or my clients)
without talking about details - with my personal experience and lot other users - I can say:
- Grezzly Products are absolutly the best, Kryonaut as thermal paste and
Conductonaut for LM which I use for my delided actual CPU
(If 1day someone try to choose Conductonaut or Liquid Pro from CoolLaboratory - 1st one is better,
but LiquidMetal is different story and not related to...what you need) :)

As normal thermal paste, before I tried/used a lot of Artic MX products as others to find the best solution,
and in 99,8% Kryonaut was simply the best :D
PS: As I said it's my personal experience in last 15 years of building PCs for me and my clients,
of course sometimes for less expensive configs, it's not worth to pay that price, but for enthusiasts as us,
I can't imagine something different :)

@izo1 hey there!

I connected my pump PWM cable to AIO PUMP header on mobo (if it's called AIO PUMP that would be a reason uh?!) and I got a 360mm push pull config too, where push fans are linked to CPU FAN and pull fans linked to CPU OPT. Something wrong? I've also set a fan curve to be silent then kick in at 65°C, in idle I'm at 30-35 (It's still hot here in Italy) like yours and about 85° in full load. Keep in mind I OC'd by core usage: from 2 cores at 5GHz to 18 cores at 4,3/4,4 Ghz. GeekBench 5 --> 1360 sc 18000 mc (pretty darn good!) CB20 9300ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back