Not open for further replies.
I tried to Install 10.15 and still try to use OC instead Clover
(with 10.15 install and 10.14.6 in use everyday),
maybe too much on the same time, but still I'm angry
because I can't find what is missing, what I do wrong to stuck
at this moment every time:

View attachment 429780

I checked few downloaded EFI folders but still didn't found any
important difference in files - which can cause this msg at boot...

View attachment 429781

Thanks a lot for everyone who have some ideas ;)

PS: BTW: If someone is interested... few more ASUS mb have new BIOS update 2002 which support X-Series 10000 CPUs :) (very good news if we will be able to boot OSX with these new CPUs :D )

You don't need AptioMemoryFix because FWRuntime takes care of that now. Matter of fact AptioMemoryFix is discontinued and acidanthera does not support it anymore.

And your ACPI folder is empty, you will need to set up SSDTs for OC.

And Catalina requires EC and USBX or it won't boot (unlike Mojave)

And I don't know how your config looks.

Take a look at the OC repo here and use a Prime Deluxe one provided. They are fully working.

There is also a X299 OpenCore thread here. Please read up their document because OC is different than Clover, but the repos will help you get started or if you follow the systems that the repo EFIs have exactly it will be a perfect set up. Or modify it to your liking by putting it on a USB stick and booting OC from there for testing purposes, then move it to your main EFI when it's fully working.

I triple boot Mojave 10.14.6 and Catalina 10.15 and Windows 10 1903 all day long with the same OC set up (the one in the repo under SAGE10G/IZO1), zero issues.

It took A LOT of trial and error to get to this point for OC. Don't expect to get to understand it right away. :thumbup:
But it's the best bootloader I've ever used. Haven't touched Clover in months.

Last edited:
It took A LOT of trial and error to get to this point for OC. Don't expect to get to understand it right away. :thumbup:

Anyone played with the APFS file system, creating a new volume in the existing one and installing 10.15 there to test?

And if so, how do you select which volume to boot from (I'm using Clover)

You don't need AptioMemoryFix because FWRuntime takes care of that now. Matter of fact AptioMemoryFix is discontinued and acidanthera does not support it anymore.

And your ACPI folder is empty, you will need to set up SSDTs for OC.

And Catalina requires EC and USBX or it won't boot (unlike Mojave)

And I don't know how your config looks.

Take a look at the OC repo here and use a Prime Deluxe one provided. They are fully working.

There is also a X299 OpenCore thread here. Please read up their document because OC is different than Clover, but the repos will help you get started or if you follow the systems that the repo EFIs have exactly it will be a perfect set up. Or modify it to your liking by putting it on a USB stick and booting OC from there for testing purposes, then move it to your main EFI when it's fully working.

I triple boot Mojave 10.14.6 and Catalina 10.15 and Windows 10 1903 all day long with the same OC set up (the one in the repo under SAGE10G/IZO1), zero issues.

Thanks a lot for info :) :thumbup:
Today I found a lot of my mistakes with actual and new config... especially with config.plist and his horrible structure, which should be changed a lot...
As you said ... it need a lot of tries.. to find a best config for us... and yes,
I have a lot of work for this weekend, but I'm happy to make a big step today :D

BTW: I wanted to created some different BIOS splashscreen/logo than @kgp and @rj510 so
after X tries I can share my first version of something (maybe not super beautiful) :p
but finally something what I wanted (I mean, I created version which I like more
and version which works with full screen- in bios boot options) :D
(and especially ... which looks little better on my horrible CF791 21/9 monitor.. ;))
If someone with Asus X299 Prime Deluxe (v1) or other Asus motherboards is interested to test it,
or give some suggestions for other version of this image (let me know) :)
***(REMEMBER IF YOU USE MY BIOS FILE: CHANGE IN BIOS -OPTIONS TO "FULL SCREEN" INSTEAD OF "AUTO"!)***
//- EDIT- and remember to turn "On" - Above 4G Decoding option in BIOS boot options if you update your BIOS from 1503 or older version ;)

Attachments

• mgrscreen.png
    mgrscreen.png
    680.6 KB · Views: 84
  • BIOS-2002-AsusX299-PrimeDeluxe-v1.zip
    9.4 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Anyone played with the APFS file system, creating a new volume in the existing one and installing 10.15 there to test?

And if so, how do you select which volume to boot from (I'm using Clover)

Check this out.

Haven't personally tried it, but a 2nd volume with macOS should show up in the Clover menu once you install it.

Check this out.

Haven't personally tried it, but a 2nd volume with macOS should show up in the Clover menu once you install it.

Yep and also works the same in OC. Used it during the Catalina betas.

Hello,

After 10.14.6 update, I have instant wake issue.

log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

2019-09-16 11:55:20.591726+0200 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XHCI ETH0 (Network)

I used custom USB kext,

WakeonLan already disabled,

anyone have the same issue?
Yeah, I had the same issue. I'm not sure this is the best solution, but it works. I'm using Codec Commander kext and hibernation fix kext. Seems to work without issue. But I only applied it yesterday. So I'm not sure long term. Anyway, I just put them in .../other/ and /L/E/ folders. darkwake=1. Also I turned off wake from Bluetooth devices. Best.

Attachments

• CodecCommander.kext.zip
    23.8 KB · Views: 65
  • HibernationFixup.kext.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 67
Hello @mgregrs , thanks for the personalized Bios, I already have the original but yours adds the personalized touch to the start of our Hack´s.

I read that you had problems installing Catalina, attached Efi for USB Boot and for the Hard Disk, first you have to install the Clover 5070 first with the options indicated in the illustration and then delete the EFI folder (remember to empty the trash) and replace with the attached one. This is valid for the USB installation and for the boot disk. I have the same motherboard and graphics as you and the EFI works for me to start High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. The EFI folder is missing the Airport and Thunderbolt SSDTs, I don't use them. You also have to add your TSCAdjustReset.kext

I also found an old collaborator of the original KGP thread that has come up with the solution of the low resolution of the Vega 64 cards at boot, yesterday I tried with my Sapphire Nitro + Vega 64 and it worked perfectly, I don't know if they can be attached links from other sites, I will copy the instructions as is, ALL CREDITS TO: @DSM2
I just copy and paste.

============================================================================

Nearly every User with a Vega GPU which use a 4K monitor over the DisplayPort noticed this already...
The screen resolution is fine under Windows and MacOS but is totally at odd during boot (VGA like).
It is a Vega Bios problem in combination with most 4K displays. (Not present with Nvidia GPUs)

The problem does not only affect the Splash Screen but also spreads over the entire boot process until the login screen is reached (Windows and MacOS).

I found a fix for this problem but I can only recommend it to users with Vega 64 reference design dual bios cards,
since you have to do a bios flash to your Vega under Windows.

I am not responsible for any damages !!! It's up to you to check your card, if it has a bios switch or not (only dual bios cards have them) !!!

If anything goes wrong, the dual bios function will save your card from the trash bin!
Always backup your original bios first before flashing the attached rom...

What do you need for this :

AMD/ATI ATIFlash - For backing up your Original Bios and flashing the new rom to your card.

Bios file

I've done the work for you and compressed the file with everything inside, so just download it!

How to :

1) Boot Windows
2) Unpack the download onto your desktop
3) Start ATIWinflash.exe and save your bios rom to your desktop
4) Close the Applikation afterwords
5) Run cmd in "Administrator Mode" - a black command prompt window opens
6) Type : cd %USERPROFILE%\desktop\atiflash

(USERPROFILE has to be changed to your user profile name under Windows)

7) Type: atiwinflash -unlockrom 0
8) Type: atiwinflash -f -p 0 unlock.bin
9) As soon as the flashing process is successful you will get a message saying: Restart System to complete VBIOS Update,
what of course you should do to finish the process.

If everything goes well and your card fits the bios, your Resolution issues should be gone now!

What if something goes wrong?

So you flashed the BIOS and your card doesn't work for one reason or the other?

If your card boots fine but does not work reliably in 3D, or doesn't work at all you can just boot via second Bios turning the switch in a different position.

As soon as you reach Windows desktop turn the switch again in the position the custom rom was flashed and flash back the original BIOS of your card.

(that's why you should always save your BIOS before doing any flashing experiments.)

Cheers,

DSM2

Then I have a couple of questions for you, I have (like you) an Asus Hyper 16x card, would you be so kind as to attach the SSDT for cosmetics?

Finally, when updating to Bios 1902 and now to 2002, I have lost the internal sound (AppleALC) I have updated the kext but I do not get sound, in the PCI cosmetic section it shows correctly “Realtek HD etc, etc…” but in the section sound does not appear, you know something about it, thanks for everything, greetings.

Attachments

• atiflash.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
  • Clover_v2.5k_r5070.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 75
  • EFI.zip
    20.2 MB · Views: 128
  • Clover.png
    Clover.png
    674.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Hello @mgregrs , thanks for the personalized Bios, I already have the original but yours adds the personalized touch to the start of our Hack´s.

I read that you had problems installing Catalina, attached Efi for USB Boot and for the Hard Disk, first you have to install the Clover 5070 first with the options indicated in the illustration and then delete the EFI folder (remember to empty the trash) and replace with the attached one. This is valid for the USB installation and for the boot disk. I have the same motherboard and graphics as you and the EFI works for me to start High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. The EFI folder is missing the Airport and Thunderbolt SSDTs, I don't use them. You also have to add your TSCAdjustReset.kext

I also found an old collaborator of the original KGP thread that has come up with the solution of the low resolution of the Vega 64 cards at boot, yesterday I tried with my Sapphire Nitro + Vega 64 and it worked perfectly, I don't know if they can be attached links from other sites, I will copy the instructions as is, ALL CREDITS TO: @DSM2
I just copy and paste.

Nearly every User with a Vega GPU which use a 4K monitor over the DisplayPort noticed this already...
The screen resolution is fine under Windows and MacOS but is totally at odd during boot (VGA like).
It is a Vega Bios problem in combination with most 4K displays. (Not present with Nvidia GPUs)

The problem does not only affect the Splash Screen but also spreads over the entire boot process until the login screen is reached (Windows and MacOS).

I found a fix for this problem but I can only recommend it to users with Vega 64 reference design dual bios cards,
since you have to do a bios flash to your Vega under Windows.

I am not responsible for any damages !!! It's up to you to check your card, if it has a bios switch or not (only dual bios cards have them) !!!

If anything goes wrong, the dual bios function will save your card from the trash bin!
Always backup your original bios first before flashing the attached rom...

What do you need for this :

AMD/ATI ATIFlash - For backing up your Original Bios and flashing the new rom to your card.

Bios file

I've done the work for you and compressed the file with everything inside, so just download it!

How to :

1) Boot Windows
2) Unpack the download onto your desktop
3) Start ATIWinflash.exe and save your bios rom to your desktop
4) Close the Applikation afterwords
5) Run cmd in "Administrator Mode" - a black command prompt window opens
6) Type : cd %USERPROFILE%\desktop\atiflash

(USERPROFILE has to be changed to your user profile name under Windows)

7) Type: atiwinflash -unlockrom 0
8) Type: atiwinflash -f -p 0 unlock.bin
9) As soon as the flashing process is successful you will get a message saying: Restart System to complete VBIOS Update,
what of course you should do to finish the process.

If everything goes well and your card fits the bios, your Resolution issues should be gone now!

What if something goes wrong?

So you flashed the BIOS and your card doesn't work for one reason or the other?

If your card boots fine but does not work reliably in 3D, or doesn't work at all you can just boot via second Bios turning the switch in a different position.

As soon as you reach Windows desktop turn the switch again in the position the custom rom was flashed and flash back the original BIOS of your card.

(that's why you should always save your BIOS before doing any flashing experiments.)

Cheers,

DSM2

Then I have a couple of questions for you, I have (like you) an Asus Hyper 16x card, would you be so kind as to attach the SSDT for cosmetics?

Finally, when updating to Bios 1902 and now to 2002, I have lost the internal sound (AppleALC) I have updated the kext but I do not get sound, in the PCI cosmetic section it shows correctly “Realtek HD etc, etc…” but in the section sound does not appear, you know something about it, thanks for everything, greetings.

Hello @WoodCabin :)
Thanks a lot for info about GPU flashing, I was thinking it could be Vega problem and not our mb or something else,
so it's very good news, which I will check this evening (if I find enough free time to do it)
I remember @DSM2 very well from KGP thread, but I didn't saw him as long as KGP
I know what's happend with KGP but no idea where is DSM2, maybe just he is lost at his work,
but I'm happy that you found his post about Vega BIOS/rom flashing :) :thumbup:

About BIOS: I tried do something different and finally working on FullScreen,
I'm happy if you like it :) I'm sure I will do make few different splashscreens later
(maybe even much better :p but everything, after few tests with Catalina and
whole fun with "almost perfect" OpenCore config with all patches) :)

About Asus Hyper 16x card - if you use Clover - thing is easier than you can think,
I wrote few more details " > Here < :)
Actually, now I found a solution for new "quite good" OpenCore config,
so I work on new working and better *.aml for this card for OC
maybe even better/faster and easier way for Clover, but we will see when I will finish :)
At this moment if you use Clover - thing is super easy to do like I wrote in separated thread,
but if you want to use different slot or simple you need any help - let me know ;)

About audio: I use Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen for everyday use, but integrated audio works
very well on the same time.
I tried to find any important difference in our configs (even whole EFI)
1 little detail which can be important in this case: I use older AppleALC
which shouldn't make problems but.. just try to replace with my old AppleALC
and let me know if it makes any difference...
On the same time, when I will boot at 2nd SSD I will check if I have any difference on it
with new and old AppleALC.. I will let you know later ;)

PS: I will try to install Catalina tomorrow, I hope I will finish my OC tests today,
so tomorrow I will have more free time to be concentrated only on Catalina Install :)

Have a great evening! (if you are in Europe) ;P
and thanks again for all info and files :)

Attachments

• AppleALC.kext.zip
    877.5 KB · Views: 66

Check this out.

Nope. Tried that, no go.

I created a Macos1015 volume within my APFS partition. Then simply selected the APFS volume when installing 10.15. It doesn't show in Clover on boot

After rebooting, it simply showed the existing macOS disk, not even the usual "Installation disk" seen when doing an upgrade.

Also, in macOS startup disk option, macos1015 isn't showing.

It is showing however the physical partitions (I have a 10.13.3 one, should I need to reflash my 10gig aqantia adapter) and the main 10.14.6 one.

Ok, after re-installing again 10.15 it was showing in Clover and I could complete the installation.
The first reboot caused a kernel panic, the 2nd one booted completely.

I do get an error on boot about USBXHCI kernel extension failing in some ways.

I updated my Vega5KFixup.kext available here: https://github.com/Rulebreaker01/Vega5KFixup/releases/tag/v1.2.4
this brings back full 5K support for my HP z27q 5K screen.

My LG 5K2K screen once again no longer have scaled resolution showing, I installed this (which I had submitted to Apple last year, but didn't make 10.15). Remove the .txt extension and to be installed in
/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-1e6d

/ partition needs to be remounted in read-write mode with:
$ sudo mount -rw /

Then reboot.

Posted from 10.15

To get there, I did update my clover install using all the files / kext found in the clover installation files found in the Download section. Not wanting to use the Clover installer which always got things wrong I used Pacifist instead to extract the efi and other files.

Attachments

• DisplayProductID-7720.txt
    421 bytes · Views: 108
Last edited by a moderator:
I just copy and paste.

Do you have a link to the original thread? I'd love to know more about what was changed in this BIOS. I've been having annoying issues where if I disable CSM, my rig won't boot stating "VGA Load BIOS" on the little OLED display on the motherboard. It only boots consistently if I enable CSM (which leads to a really low resolution boot sequence).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back