Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the upcoming 10980XE CPU, do we think it will be a drop in, along with a bios update for the Sage 10G?

i am FCPX user i am planning to built new fast hackintosh , so i want to ask few questions

is it worth to built 7900x + rx580 ??
i dont know whether h/w acceleration (H.264 and HEVC) is working or not with X299??

or i hav to go with 9900k + rx580 for FCPX?? as h/w acceleration works here (igpu+dgpu )

i am FCPX user i am planning to built new fast hackintosh , so i want to ask few questions

is it worth to built 7900x + rx580 ??
i dont know whether h/w acceleration (H.264 and HEVC) is working or not with X299??

or i hav to go with 9900k + rx580 for FCPX?? as h/w acceleration works here (igpu+dgpu )

It depends on how much FCPX uses threads in the CPU over the GPU.

I've tested the i9 9900K (Z390) vs the 9980XE (X299) with the same GPU (Vega 56). With GB4, the 9900K gets 36,000 in multi-thread usage, while the 9980XE gets 73,000; so twice as fast. The GPU results are, not surprisingly, the same in either mobo. But the 9980XE is 4-5x the cost of the 9900K (and most X299 mobos are more expensive than Z390 mobos).

So, it really comes down to finding out if FCPX is more CPU than GPU dependent. (I mostly use PhotoShop and it is faster with greater thread count.) My understanding is that FCPX is multi-core and dual GPU aware, which means that a faster CPU will help, but so will having a faster GPU (or dual-GPU) cards.

My older Vega 56 is about twice as fast as my RX580. I have tested a Radeon VII. It is a little faster than the Vega 56. The newer 5700XT is reportedly about as fast as the Radeon VII, yet about half the price. The 5700XT is probably more compatible with Mojave/Catalina going forward. So the 5700XT is presently about the fastest, least expensive alternative (around $400) for a Hackintosh. (There are rumors of a 5800XT and 5900XT but maybe not until next year.)

Last edited:
So, it really comes down to finding out if FCPX is more CPU than GPU dependent. I mostly use PhotoShop and it is faster with greater thread count.

can u plz do a brucex test for fcpx ??

test a result for H.264 and ProRes422 and plz post results.

With the upcoming 10980XE CPU, do we think it will be a drop in, along with a bios update for the Sage 10G?
Judging on info based on the new ASUS refresh boards supporting 28 and 44 lane cpus it appears it'll be a drop in replacement. We wont know for sure until release though...

The 5700XT is probably more compatible with Mojave/Catalina going forward. So the 5700XT is presently about the fastest, least expensive alternative (around $400) for a Hackintosh. (There are rumors of a 5800XT and 5900XT but maybe not until next year.)

Is there Mac OS driver support for these 5700 series GPU as of today?

Is there Mac OS driver support for these 5700 series GPU as of today?

Yes, with Catalina betas maybe having the edge: a June 2019 article (which was before the more recent Mojave updates), here.

But there are issues with different versions. XFX cards are typically not Hackintosh friendly. PowerColor and Radeon Sapphire are more reliable with Hackintoshes.

Last edited:
The attached BIOS is the latest version (1902) for the ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe I (not II) mobo.

The attached, modified BIOS uses the image below as a replacement for the ASUS stock image. I've been using this modified BIOS for a few weeks and it works well and is completely stable (unlike earlier BIOS releases for this mobo).

(In fact, I'd about given up on this mobo, but decided to give it one more go before moving on; this new BIOS was the ticket.)

I prepared the BIOS following the instructions laid out by KGP on the first post of his massive thread (I didn't quite like his image, nor that version of the BIOS). I re-sized the chosen image in an iterative process to maximize the size in order to fit in place of the stock ASUS image. I believe the image was created by someone known as Howiedi2.

This BIOS is flashed as per the ASUS manual. Before flashing, please duplicate (to keep a copy) and then rename the duplicate file to X299D.CAP prior to use.

Of course, after flashing, you'll need to either re-enter proper BIOS settings (if upgrading from an earlier BIOS), or, re-load previously saved settings (if re-flashing the same version), before booting into the Mac OS.

Again, the attached BIOS is ONLY for the ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe version I mobo. As with all posts regarding BIOS, use at your own risk.

EDITED 23 Sept 2019 (last updated: 23 Sept 2019)

added more modified BIOS (latest versions) for various X299 mobos. Listing to date:

ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe (I)
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II
ASUS X299 Sage/10G
ASUS X299 ROG Rampage VI

ASRock X299 ITX/ac
ASRock X299 Extreme 4
ASRock Fatalty i9 XE

Gigabyte X299 Designare EX

This may not work for any GB mobo: I only have a GB Z390 Designare to test. I tried various image sizes, including the exact same size as the GB logo. Each time when I tried to flash the BIOS, I got "Invalid BIOS Image" error, and wouldn't flash. This may be due to an internal "Security Flash Check", which may prevent a successful flashing of any modded BIOS.

I downloaded the latest version of each BIOS from the their respective manufacturer's web site, and then substituted the image below for the stock image.

Remember to re-name each BIOS as per the manual for the respective mobo prior to flashing.

View attachment 427018

I wasn't available last 2 days, but now I see very nice surprise :)
@rj510 Really great job man! :headbang: Thanks a lot for your time and sharing! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you. I'll try the new one. No, I didn't add anything. But are you using those older versions of ALC, Lilu, and WEG for a specific purpose?

I'm using the standard BIOS settings that @kgp outlined. I double checked everything. Maybe it's the mobo. I have the Deluxe II, not the Deluxe (I) and it came with BIOS 0703 x64, ME version 11.11.65.1590.

I'm wondering if I should try an EFI copy with nothing but Fake SMC in there and see how far I can get. If I can't get into Mojave, then I can't examine the system with Hackintool, CC, etc.
Then, maybe I should try to see if it'll go with High Sierra, even though HS was much more difficult to install in my Z370 build. Hmm... I'll report back...

Update: Perhaps this mobo and BIOS do not play well with Clover, etc. I saw somewhere that some were reinstalling memory into the "wrong" slots and having success. Strange stuff.

Update: Perhaps this mobo and BIOS do not play well with Clover, etc. I saw somewhere that some were reinstalling memory into the "wrong" slots and having success. Strange stuff.
It could be reaalllyyy crazy if installing memory in wrong slot could work better than correct option... :) BTW: Check yours, if you didn't already :p

I think (today) we can install HS or Mojave on any X299 motherboard and CPU with Clover, but everything depend of our Clover config, drivers, patches etc... I would like be so smart and have so big experience as KGP or others great people from this forum, but for now I have to learn a lot.... so everything what I can say: if I were you - I'll try to find someone with the same MB and talk with him about his clover config (or open core cfg).

What is your status now..? I mean where you blocked, what's happen... etc... where you are at this moment? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back