Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a look at your case (Enthoo Primo), and it looks like it has 2x USB 3.0, and 2x USB2.0 front panel ports.
Like I mentioned in my previous post, I'd go with option one if you want to access all your front panel connections.

So you'll connect this to the onboard USB 3.0 19-pin header to the included cable that comes with the NZXT hub. The NZXT hub will give you 5 ports (One for the front panel 2x USB2.0, and another for the Bluetooth PCIe card).
You'll only need these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFB04JP/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IFGFTJ2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Here's the cable breakdown again:
Onboard usb 3.0 19-pin header -> USB 3.0 19-pin to USB 2.0 9-pin adapter -> NZXT included USB 2.0 9-pin cable -> NZXT hub. Then into the NZXT Hub (USB 2.0 front panel cable, Bluetooth USB cable included with the PCIe card)

Unfortunately, that only leaves you with the USB 3.1 type c header on the Sage. There are USB Type-C adapters to USB 2/3. But they are not reliable. So I would not buy one. I'd recommend that you look into a USB 3.0 PCIe card with an internal 19-pin header for your case's 2x USB 3.0 ports. Here's the one I currently have (Doesn't charge ipads):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JFR2H64/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Cable breakdown:
USB 3.0 19-pin header on PCIe card -> USB 3.0 front panel cable

Hope this clears up some confusion. Good luck!

Yes! it helped a lot!

Finally, following your advice, I ordered the NZXT Internal Hub, Wireless/Bluetooth PCIe Card and USB 2.0 Front Panel, the USB 3.0 20 pin female to USB 2.0 9 pin male adaptor, and the PCIe with 2 USB on the back and 20 internal pin for the USB 3.0 of my Front panel.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Yes! it helped a lot!

Finally, following your advice, I ordered the NZXT Internal Hub (Wireless/Bluetooth PCIe Card and USB 2.0 Front Panel, the USB 3.0 20 pin female to USB 2.0 9 pin male adaptor, and the PCIe with 2 USB on the back and 20 internal pin for the USB 3.0 of my Front panel.

Thank you very much!

Yep you got it! Good luck on your build and Mac OS install!

Hello @djlild7hina ! I'm finally building my system after a very long delays (not related to the system) and i ran into some problems with PCI card placement.

My system:
Sage 10/g, 64GB RAM, 9940, Gigabyte Vega 64 reference 8GB, 1terra*2 M.2, cg Titan Ridge, BT/WiFi from your recommendation (thanks again!), Hx1200i, Housed in a Be Quiet darkbase 700.

I've started installing my custom loop for the system (2*360 rads, d5, Byksky Gpublock, xspc raystorm cpublock).

I would like to put GPU in Slot 1 and cg Titan Ridge on Slot 2, as recommended (TB functionality is very important to me). Right now, after installing the GPU blocked card in that place, it reaches on top Slot 2 by a fraction of a millimeters. The Titan Ridge doesn't fit. Even if it does, it would be too close to the GPU that might cause extra heating as well.

My solution for now is to use a narrow 250mm long riser card for the TB, and milling the Plexy part of the block to enable the riser to fit in place. I have the tools to do that, but i wonder if there is a more elegant solution.

Do you know what are the downsides of installing the GPU through the Plexy chip? I.E., Slots 3&5. Does it adds lag or some other artifacts? I do video editing as well so im interested in that aspect. Thanks in advance!

In the pics is the Plexy block before milling, and the unloaded beast. :)

EDIT: the pics got re oriented after upload. Sorry about that.

Attachments

• IMG_20190905_222910.jpg
    IMG_20190905_222910.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20190906_020600.jpg
    IMG_20190906_020600.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20190905_223125.jpg
    IMG_20190905_223125.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Hello @djlild7hina ! I'm finally building my system after a very long delays (not related to the system) and i ran into some problems with PCI card placement.

My system:
Sage 10/g, 64GB RAM, 9940, Gigabyte Vega 64 reference 8GB, 1terra*2 M.2, cg Titan Ridge, BT/WiFi from your recommendation (thanks again!), Hx1200i, Housed in a Be Quiet darkbase 700.

I've started installing my custom loop for the system (2*360 rads, d5, Byksky Gpublock, xspc raystorm cpublock).

I would like to put GPU in Slot 1 and cg Titan Ridge on Slot 2, as recommended (TB functionality is very important to me). Right now, after installing the GPU blocked card in that place, it reaches on top Slot 2 by a fraction of a millimeters. The Titan Ridge doesn't fit. Even if it does, it would be too close to the GPU that might cause extra heating as well.

My solution for now is to use a narrow 250mm long riser card for the TB, and milling the Plexy part of the block to enable the riser to fit in place. I have the tools to do that, but i wonder if there is a more elegant solution.

Do you know what are the downsides of installing the GPU through the Plexy chip? I.E., Slots 3&5. Does it adds lag or some other artifacts? I do video editing as well so im interested in that aspect. Thanks in advance!

In the pics is the Plexy block before milling, and the unloaded beast. :)

EDIT: the pics got re oriented after upload. Sorry about that.

Hmm. I don’t think there will be much issues when it’s in other slots but the next best slot would be Slot-5. Could you use the riser cable and mount your GPU vertically? Or another GPU block?

It’s one of the downsides of the sage that the Thunderbolt card has to be in Slot 2. But that’s the only slot tied to the pch. :(

Looking good! Show pics when it’s completed!

Last edited:
If anyone is curious, USB powered drives do not work with the Silverstone ECU01 on Mojave or Catalina. :(

I was looking forward to using this since the 011 dynamic xl has 4 front USB 3.0 ports. Guess I'll have to find another dual 19 pin header card or get another Inateck.

Hmm. I don’t think there will be much issues when it’s in other slots but the next best slot would be Slot-5. Could you use the riser cable and mount your GPU vertically? Or another GPU block?

It’s one of the downsides of the sage that the Thunderbolt card has to be in Slot 2. But that’s the only slot tied to the pch. :(

Looking good! Show pics when it’s completed!
Thanks, looking forward finishing it!

The vertical GPU option can be done, but then I wouldn't be able to access the buttons and headers of the board without removing the card. I thought about a narrow PCI riser, as long as the Titan Ridge, and limit my access to the buttons area and logic counter display. Also needed is a L shaped custom frame to hold the card near its end. But, if it works like you said in Slot 5, I prefer it that way. Thank you!

Another question that I have is regarding the TB activation in Windows. I plan on installing windows first to test the watercooling and performance in stress. I do not need Windows installed permanently. So I figured I will install Windows on my main M.2; do the TB procedure; and erase when its macOS time. Can I activate the card in macOS without having Windows installed, or its better to keep Windows alive for a little while? Are the 10/g chips can be flashed in Windows or only in Ubuntu as KGP did?
Thanks, and sorry for the noobish questions. I'm trying to learn from your experience before action.

Thanks, looking forward finishing it!

The vertical GPU option can be done, but then I wouldn't be able to access the buttons and headers of the board without removing the card. I thought about a narrow PCI riser, as long as the Titan Ridge, and limit my access to the buttons area and logic counter display. Also needed is a L shaped custom frame to hold the card near its end. But, if it works like you said in Slot 5, I prefer it that way. Thank you!

Another question that I have is regarding the TB activation in Windows. I plan on installing windows first to test the watercooling and performance in stress. I do not need Windows installed permanently. So I figured I will install Windows on my main M.2; do the TB procedure; and erase when its macOS time. Can I activate the card in macOS without having Windows installed, or its better to keep Windows alive for a little while? Are the 10/g chips can be flashed in Windows or only in Ubuntu as KGP did?
Thanks, and sorry for the noobish questions. I'm trying to learn from your experience before action.
I'm not 100% on how much performance is affected in slot 5 vs 1 so it might be something to look out for. From what I can tell they both are similar but YMMV. If you do end up putting it in slot 5, avoid slots 4 and 6 otherwise all slots will be x8 (except slot 1).

I believe Windows is only needed to just install the Thunderbolt drivers for the card to initialize but you can always keep a spare hard drive connected via USB in case.

Yes Ubuntu only.

I'm not 100% on how much performance is affected in slot 5 vs 1 so it might be something to look out for. From what I can tell they both are similar but YMMV. If you do end up putting it in slot 5, avoid slots 4 and 6 otherwise all slots will be x8 (except slot 1).

I believe Windows is only needed to just install the Thunderbolt drivers for the card to initialize but you can always keep a spare hard drive connected via USB in case.

Yes Ubuntu only.
Thanks again, djlild7hina! Haven't thought of that. Do you know if there's a downside to rise the TB card and by this keeping all as recommended? Maybe its a better route to follow? Its not that hard for me to carv the gpublock in order to make the room for the riser. ;)

Thanks again, djlild7hina! Haven't thought of that. Do you know if there's a downside to rise the TB card and by this keeping all as recommended? Maybe its a better route to follow? Its not that hard for me to carv the gpublock in order to make the room for the riser. ;)

Nah. I don’t think so except that it won’t look as good. :lol: Hopefully you could carve out a little to avoid risers at all.

Nah. I don’t think so except that it won’t look as good. :lol: Hopefully you could carve out a little to avoid risers at all.
Ugly as hell! I hate the riser solutions, but the only way is to thiner the plexy on the byksky all over the board by 4mm, shorten its screws and hope that nothing else would change.. im pretty disappointed by the byksky block, it doesn't suit the sage measures or the sage is the exception, who knows? Though call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back