Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nova bench seemed low compared to geek?
Novabenchs CPU Score result seems way off for your setup. I think it doesn't work for particular systems and spits out wrong results.
For comparison my slightly overclocked 8-core i7-7820X scores 1539 points in Novabench and that is with four channel (64GB) 2666 memory (XMP enabled though).
Your geekbench scores look more legit. Mine were at 5701 and 38676.

Yes, big time. Especially on a platform like X299 which has Quad Channel memory support for your specific CPU.

I have tested 4133Mhz RAM vs my current 2400 and it's a difference that I felt especially not just synthetic benchmarks, but some tests in memory hungry applications.

My current plan is to max it out at 128GB 3600 or 4133 at least CAS17/19.

There is a sale on NewEgg with GSKILL RAM right now with 10% off, if interested.

Use code EMCTBVV32. Sale ends tonight 12AM PT if in USA.

If you're not doing any intensive tasks, you don't need crazy memory...but X299 loves fast memory.
Ahh! I see.
This was actually the RAM from my X99 that I never upgraded when I switched to X299 a little over a year ago.
I am music producer/composer so I am loading a pretty large template of samples into Vienna Ensemble Pro. I'm guessing that's relatively mid-high level RAM intensity.

Sounds like it's almost time to upgrade and I def want to go 128 when I do.
Thank you for the advice!

@kubusikan , that's good to know. I guess I'll try again when I eventually do upgrade my RAM.

Thank you, guys!

Ahh! I see.
This was actually the RAM from my X99 that I never upgraded when I switched to X299 a little over a year ago.
I am music producer/composer so I am loading a pretty large template of samples into Vienna Ensemble Pro. I'm guessing that's relatively mid-high level RAM intensity.

Sounds like it's almost time to upgrade and I def want to go 128 when I do.
Thank you for the advice!

@kubusikan , that's good to know. I guess I'll try again when I eventually do upgrade my RAM.

Thank you, guys!

You're going to see a big boost if you get at least 3600 RAM with CL17, especially with your sample library. You will feel it and actually be a worthwhile upgrade for you. RAM is not crazy pricey right now, so it's worth it.

You definitely should prioritize a RAM upgrade before a GPU upgrade. I also suggest a GPU update, at least a Vega 56/64. You will thank me later, it's a big upgrade from a RX560, even though you're not going to be using your GPU a lot in your applications, fast GPUs help with the overall UI speed especially when you're running multiple monitors.

My current 64GB RAM kit is from a previous setup from 3 years ago, but definitely better RAM is a high necessity in these kinds of setups to get the most performance out of them. You already spent so much on a CPU why not RAM? :headbang:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 128GB 3600 Trident Z upgrade, finally.

i clean my PC and try to OC my cpu today.

BIOS - > selected Specify per core.

3 cores are easy to achieve 4.9G and i let the rest to maintain 4.8G.

geekbench cpu - 2019.06.23.png

Catalina public beta is out! Started a new support thread under Catalina Desktop Support:

I may rework a new build guide

Last edited:
if I come to know anything from Asus I let you know.
Thanks!!
Thanks to YOU, zzmadd! So let´s hope there will be some clarification from the UEFI-Coders and that anytime soon our sleeping CPU´s will be activated ;)

Catalina public beta is out! Started a new support thread under Catalina Desktop Support:

I may rework a new build guide

Thank you!!

Suggestion: Maybe the title of this threads can be "Asus X299 - Mojave Support" and "Asus X299 - Catalina Support"

Thank you!!

Suggestion: Maybe the title of this threads can be "Asus X299 - Mojave Support" and "Asus X299 - Catalina Support"

Good suggestion! Just updated the Catalina thread. I didn’t create this one so vincek8s will have to update it

Thanks to YOU, zzmadd! So let´s hope there will be some clarification from the UEFI-Coders and that anytime soon our sleeping CPU´s will be activated ;)
I got a first reply from Asus saying to revert back to BIOS 1301 and then again to BIOS 1704 using the BIOS Flash Back feature of the motherboard. They say to check if afterwards the "00000000" value is still present or is gone.
They also said they wrote to ASUS engineers to check if they have anything to say.

On this CPU I notices something weird.
Using Windows 10 Pro, after setting AllCore to 4.3Ghz I still get one of the cores, N.8 running at 4.1Ghz.
There's something weird on this CPU / Bios / Microcode regardless of MacOS.

Has anyone noticed their system work but the keyboard and mouse freezes? Have to do a hard reset.

Keyboard is a BT Apple keyboard
Mouse is a G703 (usb dongle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back