Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
izo1,

I have success!

After following your instructions for downloading a 10.14.5 image and following all the other necessary procedures I got Mojave installed on my X299 prime deluxe.

Thank you so much for being so patient with me.

I am running the GTX 1080 Ti for setup. I'll order a new card tomorrow, probably a Radeon VII.

izo1,

I have success!

After following your instructions for downloading a 10.14.5 image and following all the other necessary procedures I got Mojave installed on my X299 prime deluxe.

Thank you so much for being so patient with me.

I am running the 1080ti for setup. I'll order a new card tomorrow, probably a Radeon VII.
Great news.

The Radeon VII is as fast as a GT 1080 Ti, minus some benchmarks in gaming.

In compute it’s a beast.

Radeon VII works OOB and great in macOS 10.14.5 (minus some bugs but that will get ironed out).

RX 5700 XT will be revealed tomorrow.

Here's a sneak peek. Anyone looking for an AMD GPU should hold off and see what AMD has to announce.

1560087709002.jpg

I totally agree with you about overclocking. I've never liked the idea of possibly burning up a perfectly good CPU.

Do you think a used cardfrom ebay is safe to buy? How do you like the VII?

Well, I disagree with others about used cards. I've had very good luck with used cards from eBay. If you buy from a responsible seller, you'll be fine. By default on eBay you have at least a 30 day return policy that eBay will enforce if the card fails. And really, not ALL, or even most used cards have been used for mining. That's simply nonsense.

As for the VII, its okay. It's not fully supported on macOS, not yet. The issues with HDMI/DP audio clearly demonstrate that. Plus, there's no way to know if it ever will be fully supported, and while it seems likely it will, no one knows really for sure. A Vega 56 or Vega 64 would be a safer choice if you want to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should add that the Radeon VII has the potential to be a great card in macOS once it's fully supported. Right now, it's not. Performance varies a lot depending on what you're doing. Sometimes it seems really good and then in other benchmarks, tests, and tasks, it seems not so spectacular, or only slightly better than a Vega 64.

So, it works, with some issues, and for the most part, currently, in my opinion, it's okay and could be a really good card for macOS. I'm not fully convinced that its an "all-in" purchase. Almost, but not quite yet. If you buy, you are making a wager that future macOS releases will fully support it. That's the risk you take when buying a not yet fully supported card for macOS.

Last edited:
I should add that the Radeon VII has the potential to be a great card in macOS once it's fully supported. Right now, it's not. Performance varies a lot depending on what you're doing. Sometimes it seems really good and then in other benchmarks, tests, and tasks, it seems not so spectacular, or only slightly better than a Vega 64.

So, it works, with some issues, and for the most part, currently, in my opinion, it's okay and could be a really good card for macOS. I'm not fully convinced that its an "all-in" purchase. Almost, but not quite yet. If you buy, you are making a wager that future macOS releases will fully support it. That's the risk you take when buying a not yet fully supported card for macOS.

I think based on Resolve benchmarks we can safely say its a worthwhile improvement for those of us on Resolve. I am going to scoop up a used one on eBay soon here to swap with my Vega FE. BareFeats has some benchmarks of the RVII in a cMP and as an egpu for MacBook Pro and iMac Pro. http://barefeats.com

I just tried the clover alc kext installation for audio, the ALC-130 command will not run, the error says that it is not compatible with 10.14.5.

Any suggestions on which of the other 2 audio methods will work on Mojave? Should I use VooDoo?

Thanks

I just tried the clover alc kext installation for audio, the ALC-130 command will not run, the error says that it is not compatible with 10.14.5.

Any suggestions on which of the other 2 audio methods will work on Mojave? Should I use VooDoo?

Thanks

Just use Lilu.kext + AppleALC.kext in EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER. You can download them here on tonymac. Try Injection=7 in config.plist. It's already 7 in KGP's folders.

Thanks

Just load up AppleALC and Lilu in EFI/Clover..../Other and follow kgp's directions - Set your Audio ID to 1,2, 5, or 7. Make sure an unaltered AppleHDA (the original Apple kext) is in Sys/Lib/Extensions and you should at least have sound on your (green) analog port....start there......

If you purchase a Radeon VII, well, many of us have reported scratchy audio on the HDMI/DP port....

I have never run the "ALC-130" command. Is that from Toleda? Wherever you got it, don't use it. I hope it didn't modify your AppleHDA.kext. If you got it from Toleda, that could have happened. For AppleALC to run, you need: it and Lilu in the same directory and a completely unmodified original AppleHDA.kext in Sys/Lib/Extensions.

And then plug in some speakers (headphones will do for testing) to your rear green port, adjust your audio ID (I'm using 2, but try them all if you have to) and you should get sound there.....good luck!

Last edited:
Is anyone going to take up making a build guide for Catalina once it’s publicly available?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back