Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@izo1 - I respond much better to polite requests than I do orders from you....

Haha, I don't know why you took that as an order or the wrong way. Was just a suggestion.

I already submitted maybe 5-10 times to them, hopefully people benefit from that.

You don't have to do it, doesn't matter to me, just trying to help everyone. People are so sensitive online and look too much into any given situation.

Relax. :beachball: :thumbup:

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in having a look at what my OpenCore configuration looks like, I've uploaded it to https://github.com/asus-x299-hackintosh/opencore

It might be interesting to install this on an external USB disk and have a play, but it's pretty heavily customised to my setup right now, so it's probably more interesting as a sample.

I intend to write some documentation around how to get started, but I haven't got a lot of time this weekend.

If anyone is interested in having a look at what my OpenCore configuration looks like, I've uploaded it to https://github.com/asus-x299-hackintosh/opencore

It might be interesting to install this on an external USB disk and have a play, but it's pretty heavily customised to my setup right now, so it's probably more interesting as a sample.

I intend to write some documentation around how to get started, but I haven't got a lot of time this weekend.

Very nice! I'll take a look at it. and we can use this as the github repo?

Thanks for the speed tests!! That’s awesome info. That is a head scratcher on both of those being the same. Any difference in metal vs opencl?
Metal is slightly faster. 1-2fps.

Very nice! I'll take a look at it. and we can use this as the github repo?

Absolutely! Send me a DM with your GitHub username if you'd like write access and I'll add you.

is anyone have problems with video playback in chrome/safari after updating to 10.14.5 ? i have random video playback freeze (but i can close tab and reopen it without a problems). 10.14.3 worked without problems.

If during playback CPU is still hitting at 100% then the debayering process is still tasked to the CPU rather than GPU.

Take a look at this video and notice how during his test, when NVIDIA GPU is enabled, it goes to 100% GPU load and much much less CPU load. I get they are different operating systems, but something to benchmark with when comparing performance.

There needs to be optimizations done by either Red or Apple...

Radeon VII is nowhere near the 2080Ti performance. It's closer to 2080 and loses especially in 3d performance. However compute wise it's an interesting beast.

GCN is a terribly optimized architecture and AMD just slaps on more memory bandwidth instead of optimizing their architecture like NVIDIA does.

They went to 7nm and the perf is still worse than Turing 12nm from NVIDIA.

It's also worth testing the same thing in Windows just to see how bad the perf hit is in macOS...I will give it a shot soon, as I'm curious too.

Actually, it likely means that there is more to be done than the GPU can handle, so the CPU is still picking up a lot of the work. This is especially notable since the GPU activity is near 100%. Also, not all compute is sent to the GPU in Resolve or in other apps.

I agree there are optimizations that are needed for the AMD. And I agree that the Radeon VII nowhere near the 2080TI, especially as I'm only getting marginal improvement over a 1080TI. If the graphics card driver API rumor is true for macOS 10.15.x I'll be switching back to Nvidia asap. Their graphics cards still overall higher performance.

is anyone have problems with video playback in chrome/safari after updating to 10.14.5 ? i have random video playback freeze (but i can close tab and reopen it without a problems). 10.14.3 worked without problems.

Used to have this issue. What other programs do you have open along with Chrome for example?

Actually, it likely means that there is more to be done than the GPU can handle, so the CPU is still picking up a lot of the work. This is especially notable since the GPU activity is near 100%. Also, not all compute is sent to the GPU in Resolve or in other apps.

I agree there are optimizations that are needed for the AMD. And I agree that the Radeon VII nowhere near the 2080TI, especially as I'm only getting marginal improvement over a 1080TI. If the graphics card driver API rumor is true for macOS 10.15.x I'll be switching back to Nvidia asap. Their graphics cards still overall higher performance.

I was at a friends studio the other day and he has a NVIDIA TITAN RTX and had 8k playback in real time (Windows of course) ...but in the RED Player.

I checked the Task Manager and the GPU was about ~70-80% load and CPU was only 20% or so (He has a Xeon setup).

I was at a friends studio the other day and he has a NVIDIA TITAN RTX and had 8k playback in real time (Windows of course) ...but in the RED Player.

I checked the Task Manager and the GPU was about ~70-80% load and CPU was only 20% or so (He has a Xeon setup).

With an Titan RTX I would hope so, especially with RED writing their apps and SDK for better performance with Nvidia. I wouldn't expect those kinds of results from a Radeon VII. There's only so much the GPU can do and then the CPU will have to pick up the slack. It also depends on what the adjustments are in Resolve. Some adjustments are GPU compute or accelerated and some are not and rely on the CPU.

Used to have this issue. What other programs do you have open along with Chrome for example?

Chrome and Safari at same time. They both have that issue with video playback. VLC works fine without problems/lags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back