Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's WEG related, 'cause I had the same issue with previous version of WEG and that was why I switched to Vega5KFixup for a while with no issues (read about in another thread). Since a couple of days I reverted to latest Lilu + WEG on 10.14.5 and got no issues so far. I got a Vega 64 reference.

Would Vega5KFixup work for Radeon VII or is that for Vega only? I'm already on latest Lilu and WEG.

I downloaded the 3 Helium 8K S35 24fps clips. City/Moon shot is #1, Animal shot is #2, City traffic shot is #3. Resolve 15.3.1, 8K timeline, image scaling/output scaling set to HD for playback. Camera Raw settings set to Camera Metadata.

Playback with Full Res Debayer, with or without basic correction:
#1 12.5 fps
#2 10.5 fps
#3 10 fps

Playback with Half Res Premium Debayer, with or without basic correction:
#1 12.5fps
#2 10.5fps
#3 10fps

Yes, Full Res and Half Res Premium were the same. I even went back and ran both again.

Playback with Half Res Good Debayer, with or without basic correction:
#1 19 fps
#2 15 fps
#3 14.5 fps

Playback with Quarter Res Debayer, with or without basic correction:
#1 23.976 fps
#2 23.976 fps
#3 23.976 fps

Playback with Full Res Debayer, with basic correction & TNR:
#1 6.5 fps
#2 6.5 fps
#3 6.5 fps

Playback with Half Res Premium Debayer, with basic correction & TNR:
#1 7.5 fps
#2 7.5 fps
#3 7.5 fps

Playback with Half Res Good Debayer, with basic correction & TNR:
#1 8 fps
#2 8 fps
#3 8 fps

Playback with Quarter Res Debayer, with basic correction & TNR:
#1 11 fps
#2 11 fps
#3 11 fps

With the TNR on I did hear the GPU fans get louder than I ever heard the 1080TI. Kind of a whining sound because of the blower type of cooler. Typically I would leave the TNR off if possible while doing any actual grading (adding the TNR at the end) so the noise wouldn't bother me anyway since that would be something I leave on only for final rendering. That is unless a shot is really noisy, but then to get the realtime playback you have to render cache anyway, in which case playback with render cache wouldn't tax the GPU as much. Either way, I don't see the noise being a huge issue. If a model of Radeon VII comes out with a different cooling system that isn't as noisy then maybe I would upgrade, but I don't see it as a big deal right now.

Quarter Res Debayer looked great on my HD color grading monitor and on my projector (as it should), so I'd have no problem leaving it set at Quarter Res Debayer to enjoy the realtime playback while grading, then turn scaling output to match timeline when doing the final render.

Now for the 4K timeline (no one has been asking me for 8K outputs).

#1 19 fps
#2 14.5 fps
#3 14.5 fps

Note, there's really no reason for Full Res Debayer of 8K footage on a 4K timeline, but I wanted to see the numbers anyway.

#1 19 fps
#2 14.5 fps
#3 14.5 fps

#1 19 fps
#2 15 fps
#3 14.5 fps

This time Full Res, Half Res Premium, and Half Res Good were the same. Ran tests twice to be sure.

#1 23.976 fps
#2 23.976 fps
#3 23.976 fps

#1 11.5 fps (fluctuated)
#2 11 fps
#3 12 fps

#1 ~16.5 fps (fluctuated)
#2 ~13.5 fps (fluctuated)
#3 ~13 fps (fluctuated)

#1 ~17 fps (fluctuated)
#2 ~14 fps (fluctuated)
#3 ~13.5 fps (fluctuated)

#1 23.976 fps
#2 23.976 fps
#3 23.976 fps

Rendering the 4K timeline to a 4K ProRes 422HQ .mov results in 8.5 fps at Half Res Premium debayer. Full Res Debayer was 7.5 fps. That is with correction and TNR.

With the 4K timeline, the fan on the Radeon VII did not get loud like with the 8K timeline. With Red 8K footage I'd probably work in a 4K timeline (my clients right now are always 4K outputs or lower) and would use Quarter Res Debayer until final output, and that would even allow me to do some NR. I'm pretty happy with that.

I believe Resolve may be doing some auto debayer settings with Red footage, and it must be based on the timeline or on the output scaling settings. Otherwise I don't know why the results of the full res and half res premium debayer settings are always the same.
Have you tried Resolve 16 Beta? RED is supposed to be faster on 16.

Have you tried Resolve 16 Beta? RED is supposed to be faster on 16.

I'm waiting for Beta 3 or 4. AMD H264 acceleration is supposed to be better too.

I’ve mentioned it several times but yes it does. Reason is when it’s setup in slot-2 it uses PCH rather than plx chips in other slots. You could either watercool and make the vii a single slot card or get a pci extension cable and a vertical gpu mount. You could also try to put the vii in slot-5 to see if that works.
Or get a PCIe Riser cable and put the Thunderbolt card somewhere else.

Or get a PCIe Riser cable and put the Thunderbolt card somewhere else.

The vii would still be blocking the second slot so you wouldn’t have access for a riser cable.

Would Vega5KFixup work for Radeon VII or is that for Vega only? I'm already on latest Lilu and WEG.

Haven’t tried, I haven’t a VII (waiting for Navi )

@djlild7hina mentioned we should continue KGP's work in GitHub on a new repository/org. We can contribute guides, SSDT, and EFI folders with "golden configurations". We should keep community support in this thread and have GitHub to be a place for storage, collaboration, etc.

What do other folks think about it?

Yep, great idea. Let’s setup a GitHub community!

I'll happily contribute my OpenCore boot loader configuration.

Last edited:
Yep, great idea. Let’s setup a GitHub community!

I'll happily contribute my OpenCore boot loader configuration.

How is opencore working for you? Was thinking about trying it but haven’t gotten around to it

izo1: How can I use "diag" Tool from Mojave to load your firmware 3.1.30 or see my original?

You just have to make sure it's the right chipset or else you risk ruining it and have to force flash (which might not always work).

You have to use Windows. I have the AQC-107S from Sonnet now as a PCIe card and it works well, no need to flash anything. I did post my firmware here. There are instructions in that thread I think, I don't remember. It's a weird process I wouldn't advise unless you know exactly what you're doing. You might brick the LAN port.

As advised by someone else you might want to try the 10.13.3 flash method.

I downloaded the 3 Helium 8K S35 24fps clips. City/Moon shot Redcode 8:1 is #1, Animal shot Redcode 7:1 is #2, City traffic shot Redcode 7:1 is #3. Resolve 15.3.1, 8K timeline, image scaling/output scaling set to HD for playback. Camera Raw settings set to Camera Metadata.

#1 12.5 fps
#2 10.5 fps
#3 10 fps

#1 12.5fps
#2 10.5fps
#3 10fps

Yes, Full Res and Half Res Premium were the same. I even went back and ran both again.

#1 19 fps
#2 15 fps
#3 14.5 fps

#1 23.976 fps
#2 23.976 fps
#3 23.976 fps

#1 6.5 fps
#2 6.5 fps
#3 6.5 fps

#1 7.5 fps
#2 7.5 fps
#3 7.5 fps

#1 8 fps
#2 8 fps
#3 8 fps

#1 11 fps
#2 11 fps
#3 11 fps

With the TNR on I did hear the GPU fans get louder than I ever heard the 1080TI. Kind of a whining sound because of the blower type of cooler. Typically I would leave the TNR off if possible while doing any actual grading (adding the TNR at the end) so the noise wouldn't bother me anyway since that would be something I leave on only for final rendering. That is unless a shot is really noisy, but then to get the realtime playback you have to render cache anyway, in which case playback with render cache wouldn't tax the GPU as much. Either way, I don't see the noise being a huge issue. If a model of Radeon VII comes out with a different cooling system that isn't as noisy then maybe I would upgrade, but I don't see it as a big deal right now.

Quarter Res Debayer looked great on my HD color grading monitor and on my projector (as it should), so I'd have no problem leaving it set at Quarter Res Debayer to enjoy the realtime playback while grading, then turn scaling output to match timeline when doing the final render.

Now for the 4K timeline (no one has been asking me for 8K outputs).

#1 19 fps
#2 14.5 fps
#3 14.5 fps

Note, there's really no reason for Full Res Debayer of 8K footage on a 4K timeline, but I wanted to see the numbers anyway.

#1 19 fps
#2 14.5 fps
#3 14.5 fps

#1 19 fps
#2 15 fps
#3 14.5 fps

This time Full Res, Half Res Premium, and Half Res Good were the same. Ran tests twice to be sure.

#1 23.976 fps
#2 23.976 fps
#3 23.976 fps

#1 11.5 fps (fluctuated)
#2 11 fps
#3 12 fps

#1 ~16.5 fps (fluctuated)
#2 ~13.5 fps (fluctuated)
#3 ~13 fps (fluctuated)

#1 ~17 fps (fluctuated)
#2 ~14 fps (fluctuated)
#3 ~13.5 fps (fluctuated)

#1 23.976 fps
#2 23.976 fps
#3 23.976 fps

Rendering the 4K timeline to a 4K ProRes 422HQ .mov results in 8.5 fps at Half Res Premium debayer. Full Res Debayer was 7.5 fps. That is with correction and TNR.

With the 4K timeline, the fan on the Radeon VII did not get loud like with the 8K timeline. With Red 8K footage I'd probably work in a 4K timeline (my clients right now are always 4K outputs or lower) and would use Quarter Res Debayer until final output, and that would even allow me to do some NR. I'm pretty happy with that.

I believe Resolve may be doing some auto debayer settings with Red footage, and it must be based on the timeline or on the output scaling settings. Otherwise I don't know why the results of the full res and half res premium debayer settings are always the same.

That actually doesn't look too bad. In that other benchmarking site by Puget, they saw performance especially in Resolve that surpassed even the RTX 2080Ti.

I posted some rough results earlier on here before a CPU swap here. (This was in Resolve 16 Public Beta).

You should open up the Activity Monitor and open the GPU window to see if the debayering process is 100% on the GPU instead of the CPU.

Also you should try a regular playback in the REDCINE-X PRO. It's highly optimized for RED footage even though Resolve and Premiere are not, you can see where we are in terms of current gen GPUs (Especially with the GPU and CPU utlization via Activity Monitor).

The 2080Ti with CUDA under Windows can do 8k realtime playback of RED RAW footage. The Radeon VII needs a lot of optimizations and it still won't be there, but 4k/6k should be good, at least with half res playback on 6k.

How is opencore working for you? Was thinking about trying it but haven’t gotten around to it

It's fast to boot - really fast. I'm just tidying up my configs now, but it wasn't a huge amount of work to move over from Clover - maybe an evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back