Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to upgrade my hackintosh mainly to get thunderbolt 3 functionality.
I did a lot of reading including everything from KGP.

I would like to use:
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G (second choice is Asus Prime X299 Deluxe)
i9-7900X
Radeon VII
GC Titan Ridge
Areca 1882i
Areca 1883i
BMD Mini Monitor

I have one big concern about ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G and GC Titan Ridge.
Does GC Titan Ridge TB3 have to be installed in PCIe Slot number 2 ?

How do you install dual slot Radeon VII if GC Titan Ridge TB3 have to be installed in PCIe Slot number 2 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am planning to upgrade my hackintosh mainly to get thunderbolt 3 functionality.
I did a lot of reading including everything from KGP.

I would like to use:
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G (second choice is Asus Prime X299 Deluxe)
i9-7900X
Radeon VII
GC Titan Ridge
Areca 1882i
Areca 1883i
BMD Mini Monitor

I have one big concern about ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G and GC Titan Ridge.
Does GC Titan Ridge TB3 have to be installed in PCIe Slot number 2 ?

How do you install dual slot Radeon VII if GC Titan Ridge TB3 have to be installed in PCIe Slot number 2 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve mentioned it several times but yes it does. Reason is when it’s setup in slot-2 it uses PCH rather than plx chips in other slots. You could either watercool and make the vii a single slot card or get a pci extension cable and a vertical gpu mount. You could also try to put the vii in slot-5 to see if that works.

I´m switching to a Ramapage Vi, but I can´t to do a AQC107 working yet. (detected, loaded, but no wire detection)
I'm using the last Bios 1704, Aquantia patch in kext to patch and SSDT-X299-ACQU.aml. And you???

izo1: How can I use "diag" Tool from Mojave to load your firmware 3.1.30 or see my original?

Original vi or omega? Omega apparently works OOB. If you’re using original you’ll have to have a copy of 10.13.3 to flash the card and then use the patch.

Last edited:
Yes, just update clover and kexts prior to update. I'm using the same mobo and I'm running fine on 10.14.5, so ask for any help (got a Vega 64 too).

Thank you pieropontra,
is there somewhere a guide I can follow with a detailed list of files to update ?

Bye,
Dk

in the attached image there are the files you need to check in the clover updater.

the attached kext is a 15 USB port mapping for our mobo, it allows us to not use 15-port max patch in clover.

then, you just need to update the usual kexts (FakeSMC, AppleALC, Lilu and Whatevergreen, etc..)

Once you update your EFI folder (new clover + usb 15 port kext + updated kext + eventually updated SSDTs) you're good to go with 10.14.5

Attachments

• Clover Update.png
    Clover Update.png
    163.3 KB · Views: 100
  • JaminMc-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299A-XHCI-15port.kext.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 82
I’ve mentioned it several times but yes it does. Reason is when it’s setup in slot-2 it uses PCH rather than plx chips in other slots. You could either watercool and make the vii a single slot card or get a pci extension cable and a vertical gpu mount. You could also try to put the vii in slot-5 to see if that works.

@illusion3110 sorry I should rephrase my reply. Slot-2 is the only officially supported slot by ASUS for a thunderbolt card. If you don’t care about hot plug support then another slot will most likely work. Note that the Tb SSDT adapted for any other slot completely disabled the card but it should work without the ssdt. I currently have mine in slot-4 without the ssdt and usb-c and DisplayPort work fine. Still need to get a thunderbolt device to try

Since upgrading to Radeon VII and Mojave, I'm noticing my mouse stutters at times. This is the same kind of stuttering many people got with the old Nvidia web drivers in Sierra. It's a Bluetooth mouse that was working fine with no shutting in High Sierra.

Since upgrading to Radeon VII and Mojave, I'm noticing my mouse stutters at times. This is the same kind of stuttering many people got with the old Nvidia web drivers in Sierra. It's a Bluetooth mouse that was working fine with no shutting in High Sierra.

It's probably the Radeon VII. Some other folks have reported issues with bluetooth and the VII. Seems like the drivers for the VII in macOS is just not mature yet.

It's probably the Radeon VII. Some other folks have reported issues with bluetooth and the VII. Seems like the drivers for the VII in macOS is just not mature yet.

I think it's WEG related, 'cause I had the same issue with previous version of WEG and that was why I switched to Vega5KFixup for a while with no issues (read about in another thread). Since a couple of days I reverted to latest Lilu + WEG on 10.14.5 and got no issues so far. I got a Vega 64 reference.

Have you check RED Helium Playback with the Radeon?

I downloaded the 3 Helium 8K S35 24fps clips. City/Moon shot Redcode 8:1 is #1, Animal shot Redcode 7:1 is #2, City traffic shot Redcode 7:1 is #3. Resolve 15.3.1, 8K timeline, image scaling/output scaling set to HD for playback. Camera Raw settings set to Camera Metadata.

Playback with Full Res Debayer, with or without basic correction:
#1 12.5 fps
#2 10.5 fps
#3 10 fps

Playback with Half Res Premium Debayer, with or without basic correction:
#1 12.5fps
#2 10.5fps
#3 10fps

Yes, Full Res and Half Res Premium were the same. I even went back and ran both again.

Playback with Half Res Good Debayer, with or without basic correction:
#1 19 fps
#2 15 fps
#3 14.5 fps

Playback with Quarter Res Debayer, with or without basic correction:
#1 23.976 fps
#2 23.976 fps
#3 23.976 fps

Playback with Full Res Debayer, with basic correction & TNR:
#1 6.5 fps
#2 6.5 fps
#3 6.5 fps

Playback with Half Res Premium Debayer, with basic correction & TNR:
#1 7.5 fps
#2 7.5 fps
#3 7.5 fps

Playback with Half Res Good Debayer, with basic correction & TNR:
#1 8 fps
#2 8 fps
#3 8 fps

Playback with Quarter Res Debayer, with basic correction & TNR:
#1 11 fps
#2 11 fps
#3 11 fps

With the TNR on I did hear the GPU fans get louder than I ever heard the 1080TI. Kind of a whining sound because of the blower type of cooler. Typically I would leave the TNR off if possible while doing any actual grading (adding the TNR at the end) so the noise wouldn't bother me anyway since that would be something I leave on only for final rendering. That is unless a shot is really noisy, but then to get the realtime playback you have to render cache anyway, in which case playback with render cache wouldn't tax the GPU as much. Either way, I don't see the noise being a huge issue. If a model of Radeon VII comes out with a different cooling system that isn't as noisy then maybe I would upgrade, but I don't see it as a big deal right now.

Quarter Res Debayer looked great on my HD color grading monitor and on my projector (as it should), so I'd have no problem leaving it set at Quarter Res Debayer to enjoy the realtime playback while grading, then turn scaling output to match timeline when doing the final render.

Now for the 4K timeline (no one has been asking me for 8K outputs).

Playback with Full Res Debayer, with or without basic correction:
#1 19 fps
#2 14.5 fps
#3 14.5 fps

Note, there's really no reason for Full Res Debayer of 8K footage on a 4K timeline, but I wanted to see the numbers anyway.

Playback with Half Res Premium Debayer, with or without basic correction:
#1 19 fps
#2 14.5 fps
#3 14.5 fps

Playback with Half Res Good Debayer, with or without basic correction:
#1 19 fps
#2 15 fps
#3 14.5 fps

This time Full Res, Half Res Premium, and Half Res Good were the same. Ran tests twice to be sure.

Playback with Quarter Res Debayer, with or without basic correction:
#1 23.976 fps
#2 23.976 fps
#3 23.976 fps

Playback with Full Res Debayer, with basic correction & TNR:
#1 11.5 fps (fluctuated)
#2 11 fps
#3 12 fps

Playback with Half Res Premium Debayer, with basic correction & TNR:
#1 ~16.5 fps (fluctuated)
#2 ~13.5 fps (fluctuated)
#3 ~13 fps (fluctuated)

Playback with Half Res Good Debayer, with basic correction & TNR:
#1 ~17 fps (fluctuated)
#2 ~14 fps (fluctuated)
#3 ~13.5 fps (fluctuated)

Playback with Quarter Res Debayer, with basic correction & TNR:
#1 23.976 fps
#2 23.976 fps
#3 23.976 fps

Rendering the 4K timeline to a 4K ProRes 422HQ .mov results in 8.5 fps at Half Res Premium debayer. Full Res Debayer was 7.5 fps. That is with correction and TNR.

With the 4K timeline, the fan on the Radeon VII did not get loud like with the 8K timeline. With Red 8K footage I'd probably work in a 4K timeline (my clients right now are always 4K outputs or lower) and would use Quarter Res Debayer until final output, and that would even allow me to do some NR. I'm pretty happy with that.

I believe Resolve may be doing some auto debayer settings with Red footage, and it must be based on the timeline or on the output scaling settings. Otherwise I don't know why the results of the full res and half res premium debayer settings are always the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back