Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely remember in 10.14.5 PB not even Vega FE had this issue (now I don't have this GPU anymore).

It's definitely a 10.14.5 issue because earlier PBs had less of this issue.

Looking at the logs, this might be the cause:

• Improved audio latency on 2018 MacBook Pro laptops

But as you said another board doesn't have this issue.

Going to spend some time to see if any BIOS changes will fix this issue for us with this board.

Other folks on other forums have Radeon VII boards and they haven't reported this issue, so I do believe it's either an X299 issue or an Asus X299 issue, more probably the latter. My audio on the rear audio output, the green port (internal speakers as macOS identifies it) is fine, as is the black port.

Other folks on other forums have Radeon VII boards and they haven't reported this issue, so I do believe it's either an X299 issue or an Asus X299 issue, more probably the latter. My audio on the rear audio output, the green port (internal speakers as macOS identifies it) is fine, as is the black port.

The others have a ASUS SAGE board, which is pretty different than the Prime Deluxe II. They might use the same chipset, but it's built differently than our Prime Deluxe I and II.

I tried messing around with the bitrate, but it didn't help. Going to investigate further, it might be a simple fix we're overlooking.

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 6.17.06 PM.png

so now, 10.14.5 fully support R7? good news.

how about Benchmark socres?

I also get random scratchy /"crakling" audio using DP on the Sapphire RX580, especially if the content played was created with higher resolution and dithered down to 24bit - 48khz. I can't believe that RADEON VII maximum DP resolution is still 24bit/48khz.
All regular x299 mobo have now at least 96k / 32 bit integer on their maximum resolution output. Now with 192khz / 32bit integer and Focal powered speakers...I'm in heaven :p
PS: Try to create a multi output device with a drift correction on DP port from the Audio midi setup and see if the problem persist.
Here's a exemple below.

Use the App "Audio MIDI Setup" in /Applications/Utilities.
When you open the app, you will see a list of all audio devices in the list to the left. With the "+" button at the bottom you can create a new Aggregate Device or a Multi-Output Device.
The devices created there will show up as normal audio devices in the system preferences' "Sound" settings.
The Multi-Output Device is what you are looking for. It will output the audio to all devices enabled in the right part of the window.
The Aggregate Device allows you to join multiple sound cards to simulate one audio device with more output channels
Use the drift correction on the DP port. with 32bit/96k from the audio output of your board.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.12.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.12.28 PM.png
    262.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.12.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.12.50 PM.png
    205.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.13.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.13.08 PM.png
    197.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.46.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.46.16 PM.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
The others have a ASUS SAGE board, which is pretty different than the Prime Deluxe II. They might use the same chipset, but it's built differently than our Prime Deluxe I and II.

I tried messing around with the bitrate, but it didn't help. Going to investigate further, it might be a simple fix we're overlooking.

View attachment 405534

I don't think CMMChris has a Sage board, and he was playing with a Radeon VII......I thought he had a Z370 or Z390 board....

I also get random scratchy /"crakling" audio using DP on the Sapphire RX580, especially if the content played was created with higher resolution and dithered down to 24bit - 48khz. I can't believe that RADEON VII maximum DP resolution is still 24bit/48khz.
All regular x299 mobo have now at least 96k / 32 bit integer on their maximum resolution output. Now with 192khz / 32bit integer and Focal powered speakers...I'm in heaven :p
PS: Try to create a multi output device with a drift correction on DP port from the Audio midi setup and see if the problem persist.
Here's a exemple below.

When you open the app, you will see a list of all audio devices in the list to the left. With the "+" button at the bottom you can create a new Aggregate Device or a Multi-Output Device.
The devices created there will show up as normal audio devices in the system preferences' "Sound" settings.
The Multi-Output Device is what you are looking for. It will output the audio to all devices enabled in the right part of the window.
The Aggregate Device allows you to join multiple sound cards to simulate one audio device with more output channels
Use the drift correction on the DP port. with 32bit/96k from the audio output of your board.

Yeah I've tried Aggregate/Multiple-Output already, same issue.

I have the 38UC99-W (dual) from LG with built in speakers. It has Bluetooth so I use that temporarily but it's buggy when switching between apps (sometimes you have to pause stuff so another app plays)...

I usually use the monitor speakers when I don't want to blow my ears with the KEF LS50s or headphones (Various, including Audeze LCD3, Woo Audio tube amp, Bluetooth headphones etc).

I don't think CMMChris has a Sage board, and he was playing with a Radeon VII......

He has a Gigabyte...so still not ASUS.

This crackling noise sometimes cleans up after the PC is on for a while, but it comes back...especially when you restart.

Here's a exemple below.

Working with Pro Tools as much as I do nowadays, I'm in the Midi setup all the time. It's a worthwhile idea, I'll try your suggestion, thanks..!

He has a Gigabyte...so still not ASUS.

This crackling noise sometimes cleans up after the PC is on for a while, but it comes back...especially when you restart.

Yes, but is his Gigabyte motherboard an X299, a Z370 0r 390? That would tell a lot if his board was an X299. I already know that an Asus Z370 and the Radeon VII are fine together.

Yes, but is his Gigabyte motherboard an X299, a Z370 0r 390? That would tell a lot if his board was an X299. I already know that an Asus Z370 and the Radeon VII are fine together.

I believe its a Gigabyte Z370.

The other user DSM2 also said he doesn't have the issue, and he has a ASUS SAGE (X299).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back