Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Titan Ridge card also, but it was my GB Z390 MB. Worked really well in slot 4.

The designare? Does the designare have a tb3 header so you can have two cards?

Yes, the Designare has onboard Titan Ridge, but the GB Aorus Pro WiFi has the THB_C port that I used.

Ah was going based off your signature so thought you had two cards in one system. If hotplug works with this jumping technique, I would think someone could buy multiple titan ridge cards without relying on the tb header. But from what I've read, hotplug doesnt work on windows but possibly in linux? (jumping workaround not using tb header)

Hello friends, really nice to see you all here :)
I have all the ingridients (9940, 64gb ram, vega64, m.2 ssds, psu, enclosure, cg titanridge, exc) besides mobo (sage/10g), which is on its way. Also made a complete custom water cooling system in the past few weeks.
Very reassuring to see you guys here, i will be happy to help and contribute as much as i can but im not an expert yet :cool:
Will update when my new build starts.
@kgp, if you read this, manny manny thanks to you for all that you did. I wish you all the best :)

Congrats on getting the parts! The sage/10g works very well but just some little nitpicks that I've mentioned a few times but I'll repeat again.

1. There is only one internal USB-3 header and no usb-2 header. Couple of workarounds, you can buy a usb pci card with an internal header or use a internal usb header to usb 2 adapter. In my build, I have a usb 2.0 hub and then connect two internal usb to usb 2 adapters to the back ports.
2. Titan ridge has to be in slot-2 and uses PCH. My guess is so it doesn't rely on the PLX chips of the sage. Asus recommends in a 1 gpu situation to keep it in slot-1 so your card would either need to be a one-slot card or use a pci riser and a vertical gpu mount. However a gpu seems to work fine in slot-5 also so you might have to experiment with that.
I'm currently messing around with the tb card in another slot to see if I can get around this limitation or possibly support multiple tb cards.
3. The onboard 10g ports are supported but you'll need to flash them using linux which @kgp has outlined in the guide. Seems a little daunting at first but the guide has everything laid out.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Good luck!

You’re right. From first few tests the 9980XE runs much cooler than the 7xxx series since it’s soldered. And it cools down much faster. Will give a tiny bit of OC a try although I don’t really gain anything from the 5-10% of cpu gain and more heat. Would rather run things cool and quiet :thumbup:

Skylake-X is a crazy CPU in general, it has so much potential in exponential speed boost when OCing properly.

Going from 7900x to 9980XE I can already tell a big difference in macOS it just flies now even on small tasks.

I had the same exact experience, hope you enjoy your new toy :p

Yes, the thunderbolt header is located beneath slot-2 on the sage/sage 10g and is only officially supported in slot-2 due to it being on the PCH whenever the thunderbolt options are enabled in the BIOS. I'm just experimenting to see if I can get around putting it in slot-2 and without using the header.

One of the main reasons I'm experimenting is I'm considering switching to the Rampage VI Extreme Omega which does not have a TB header.

I'd be interested to know what you find out regarding the Thunderbolt card! :D

I considered and tried the Omega before settling the Sage/10G, in summary:
  • Integrated WiFi card doesn't work in OSX and you'd have to unmount the whole I/O shield to replace it with a compatible one.
  • Aura sync resets every time the computer is shut down, some LED light up during sleep as well and cannot be disabled unless you're in windows such as the little OLED screen on the left.
  • VRM heatsink is mostly to show-off, the cooling with heatpipes and fins on Sage is superior during load.
  • 3 PCI-E slots vs 7 on Sage/10G
  • Dimm.2 slot for M2 disks takes PCI-E lanes and it has LEDs that cannot be disabled.
That said, if you decide to get it, I'm sure it's going to be a good motherboard and last a long time.

I'd be interested to know what you find out regarding the Thunderbolt card! :D

I considered and tried the Omega before settling the Sage/10G, in summary:
  • Integrated WiFi card doesn't work in OSX and you'd have to unmount the whole I/O shield to replace it with a compatible one.
  • Aura sync resets every time the computer is shut down, some LED light up during sleep as well and cannot be disabled unless you're in windows such as the little OLED screen on the left.
  • VRM heatsink is mostly to show-off, the cooling with heatpipes and fins on Sage is superior during load.
  • 3 PCI-E slots vs 7 on Sage/10G
  • Dimm.2 slot for M2 disks takes PCI-E lanes and it has LEDs that cannot be disabled.
That said, if you decide to get it, I'm sure it's going to be a good motherboard and last a long time.
I'm guessing hotplug won't work but not a huge deal for me. It'd be really nice if there was native RTX support in mac os 10.15 so I can go back to one card but don't see that happening...

Hmm interesting. I thought the vrm on the Omega would be better. I was planning on replacing the integrated wifi with a dw1560. Do you know if onboard 10g worked OOB? That was my main concern and maybe I should just stick with the sage :lol: Would definitely be nice to avoid the whole trying out the Omega and swapping back but the Omega is a really nice looking board.

Anyone else with a Omega care to chime in on their experiences?

Last edited:
I'm guessing hotplug won't work but not a huge deal for me. It'd be really nice if there was native RTX support in mac os 10.15 so I can go back to one card but don't see that happening...

Hmm interesting. I thought the vrm on the Omega would be better. I was planning on replacing the integrated wifi with a dw1560. Do you know if onboard 10g worked OOB? That was my main concern and maybe I should just stick with the sage :lol: Would definitely be nice to avoid the whole trying out the Omega and swapping back but the Omega is a really nice looking board.

Anyone else with a Omega care to chime in on their experiences?

I’ve had bad experience with DW1560 and a mobo swap. It just wasn’t as powerful as a real PCIe Wi-Fi/BT combo. In terms of Wi-Fi/BT range and OOB experience.

I’ve had bad experience with DW1560 and a mobo swap. It just wasn’t as powerful as a real PCIe Wi-Fi/BT combo. In terms of Wi-Fi/BT range and OOB experience.

Thanks for this @izo1 I feel like there aren't many other alternatives to replace the onboard wifi unless you want to lose the IO cover with the OLED panel. Think I'll stick with the sage/10g then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back