Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello friends, really nice to see you all here :)
I have all the ingridients (9940, 64gb ram, vega64, m.2 ssds, psu, enclosure, cg titanridge, exc) besides mobo (sage/10g), which is on its way. Also made a complete custom water cooling system in the past few weeks.
Very reassuring to see you guys here, i will be happy to help and contribute as much as i can but im not an expert yet :cool:
Will update when my new build starts.
@kgp, if you read this, manny manny thanks to you for all that you did. I wish you all the best :)

Issue with 9980XE vs 7980XE is that the latter has a higher TJunction. :think:

You should be fine as long as you don't overclock it or keep the voltages sane. I've never seen mine going above 80C during normal load, which is great on a 240mm AIO. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Tjunction shown on Intel website differs from what it's actually set in microcode/bios, which I think after a recent update was raised to ~105/110C.

Last edited:
Hello friends, really nice to see you all here :)
I have all the ingridients (9940, 64gb ram, vega64, m.2 ssds, psu, enclosure, cg titanridge, exc) besides mobo (sage/10g), which is on its way. Also made a complete custom water cooling system in the past few weeks.
Very reassuring to see you guys here, i will be happy to help and contribute as much as i can but im not an expert yet :cool:
Will update when my new build starts.
@kgp, if you read this, manny manny thanks to you for all that you did. I wish you all the best :)

Nice! You should be able to use KGP guides and EFI folders for that configuration.

You should be fine as long as you don't overclock it or keep the voltages sane. I've never seen mine going above 80C during normal load, which is great on a 240mm AIO. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Tjunction shown on Intel website differs from what it's actually set in microcode/bios, which I think after a recent update was raised to ~105/110C.

You’re right. From first few tests the 9980XE runs much cooler than the 7xxx series since it’s soldered. And it cools down much faster. Will give a tiny bit of OC a try although I don’t really gain anything from the 5-10% of cpu gain and more heat. Would rather run things cool and quiet :thumbup:

Skylake-X is a crazy CPU in general, it has so much potential in exponential speed boost when OCing properly.

Going from 7900x to 9980XE I can already tell a big difference in macOS it just flies now even on small tasks.

Last edited:
Currently messing with a titan ridge card in another slot besides slot-2 on the Sage. Without the tb header, hot plug doesn't work and the card doesn't show up in ioreg (as expected). I'm still working on adapting the TB SSDT but it seems to break everything. Bought some cables to jump the header pins so the card always stays powered on.

Currently messing with a titan ridge card in another slot besides slot-2 on the Sage. Without the tb header, hot plug doesn't work and the card doesn't show up in ioreg (as expected). I'm still working on adapting the TB SSDT but it ends up disabling the usb controller for now. Bought some jumper cables to see if it'll help any.

Is your Titan ridge card from Asus?

OK, does your MB have a THB_C slot?

Yes, the thunderbolt header is located beneath slot-2 on the sage/sage 10g and is only officially supported in slot-2 due to it being on the PCH whenever the thunderbolt options are enabled in the BIOS. I'm just experimenting to see if I can get around putting it in slot-2 and without using the header.

One of the main reasons I'm experimenting is I'm considering switching to the Rampage VI Extreme Omega which does not have a TB header.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back