Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else here updated the X299 Sage/10G to the latest BIOS released and got major slowdowns? I had to revert back to the older one.

Did you load defaults and set up the BIOS?

I usually save a backup to a flash drive of all the settings to a .cmo file from ASUS, then reset after a reflash, and load the settings...works ok here so far.

Here's a cleaned up EFI folder for you. I used to have your MOBO, so had an older folder I could look at for reference. Note that I also set up your USB Kext so you don't need to use a USB Limit patch, which makes upgrading OS updates much easier and cleaner. The Designare EX has a ton of USB hubs so if you see that some of your USB ports are not showing up (which shouldn't be an issue) let us know and we can figure it out and modify your USB kext.

Also I am just following your specs, the 7920x and Radeon VII...unless any hardware changed, this should be good to go.

As a precaution, always keep a backup of your current working EFI before you swap it out with any other one. And always have a Windows partition installed on a separate drive for easy troubleshooting (such as mounting an EFI folder, swapping stuff out, etc)....and also it's best to have a clone of your main OS. I personally use CloneZilla to do a 1:1 copy of the boot drive to a secondary drive (which I am using as external now, but always disconnected)...this way if the main OS drive goes down I can boot from the clone. Or clone back to the main NVME to "restore" to a working state. One downside with CloneZilla is that both the main and clone drive must be the same exact size, so if it's 1024MB the clone has to be 1024MB as well...

Also for controlling the audio/brightness controls, you can use MonitorControl (Just have it auto start on login). I am able to control the volume and brightness on my LG38U99 with a Apple Magic Spacegray Keyboard.

Also you might need to enter your current UUID into the config.plist under config.plist > SMBIOS > SmUUID by running this in the terminal and then copy/pasting the string into your config file. This will help with iMessage issues.

Code:
uuidgen

Good luck and enjoy

What software do you use to load macOS EFI partition in windows mate?

If I decide to swap the CPU, all I have to do is to replace the new integer number in TSCAdjust.kext? Is there something else I should do prior to? Obviously the old and the new one both are Skylake-X CPUs

Last edited:
What software do you use to load macOS EFI partition in windows mate?

If I decide to swap the CPU, all I have to do is to replace the new integer number in TSCAdjust.kext? Is there something else I should do prior to? Obviously the old and the new one both are Skylake-X CPUs

For CPU swap, simply update your TSCAdjust.kext to the proper integer, shut down, swap CPU and you're good to go. Nothing else to do.

You will get a warning from the BIOS on first boot saying that there's a new CPU installed, and depending on your mobo, your BIOS will not be reset.

I recommend you keep a backup of your BIOS profile somewhere on a usb stick, since you have ASUS, it's possible under TOOLS menu in the BIOS. You can save a .cmo file....or just set the whole thing up again if it does reset.

To mount EFI in Windows, download Explorer++ and run this in an elevated command prompt:

Code:
diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

list partition

select partition 1

assign letter=b

exit

disk 0 is your macOS disk. (or whatever your macOS disk is).
partition 1 being your EFI partition (which is usually always 1 and around 200MB)

Once letter is assigned, you will see it in This PC, run Explorer++ with admin privileges and then access your EFI partition through there. You must copy and paste files/folders in between partitions in Explorer++. Not directly in Explorer because you can't access the EFI partition without a admin takeover, which you want to avoid.

After you're done, close Explorer++ then remove B letter from your EFI partition from Windows (drive letter B) by running the following in an elevated cmd prompt:

Code:
diskpart

remove letter=b

exit

There are many other ways to do this, such as using this freeware tool, but I always try to do it in an old school way...always works.

Last edited:
Here's a cleaned up EFI folder for you. I used to have your MOBO, so had an older folder I could look at for reference. Note that I also set up your USB Kext so you don't need to use a USB Limit patch, which makes upgrading OS updates much easier and cleaner. The Designare EX has a ton of USB hubs so if you see that some of your USB ports are not showing up (which shouldn't be an issue) let us know and we can figure it out and modify your USB kext.

Also I am just following your specs, the 7920x and Radeon VII...unless any hardware changed, this should be good to go.

As a precaution, always keep a backup of your current working EFI before you swap it out with any other one. And always have a Windows partition installed on a separate drive for easy troubleshooting (such as mounting an EFI folder, swapping stuff out, etc)....and also it's best to have a clone of your main OS. I personally use CloneZilla to do a 1:1 copy of the boot drive to a secondary drive (which I am using as external now, but always disconnected)...this way if the main OS drive goes down I can boot from the clone. Or clone back to the main NVME to "restore" to a working state. One downside with CloneZilla is that both the main and clone drive must be the same exact size, so if it's 1024MB the clone has to be 1024MB as well...

Also for controlling the audio/brightness controls, you can use MonitorControl (Just have it auto start on login). I am able to control the volume and brightness on my LG38U99 with a Apple Magic Spacegray Keyboard.

Also you might need to enter your current UUID into the config.plist under config.plist > SMBIOS > SmUUID by running this in the terminal and then copy/pasting the string into your config file. This will help with iMessage issues.

Code:
uuidgen

Good luck and enjoy

Hi @izo1 I would like to ask you for help, I'm still quite green in this topic. I can not send a personal message because the reputation is small. I want to re-do the Mojave. I have x299 Asus prime deluxe ii (firmware 0603) Intel Core i9 -7960x, 64 GB Kingston 3600 MH DDR, 1 TB m2 samsung evo 970 ssd, 1st Pci Saphire Rx 580 8Gb Pulse, Asus PCE-AC68 on Pci 3 slot (I did not understand, the built-in Bluetooth 5 will work or not) If it doesn’t bother you much, you could make an Efi folder for me. And generally tell me what to do. Thank you in advance

Hi @izo1 I would like to ask you for help, I'm still quite green in this topic. I can not send a personal message because the reputation is small. I want to re-do the Mojave. I have x299 Asus prime deluxe ii (firmware 0603) Intel Core i9 -7960x, 64 GB Kingston 3600 MH DDR, 1 TB m2 samsung evo 970 ssd, 1st Pci Saphire Rx 580 8Gb Pulse, Asus PCE-AC68 on Pci 3 slot (I did not understand, the built-in Bluetooth 5 will work or not) If it doesn’t bother you much, you could make an Efi folder for me. And generally tell me what to do. Thank you in advance

It's best if you follow the KGP guide and get the general basics down and understand how it's done to a certain level. Then when you get a successful boot, you can post your EFI and we can finesse from there.

The guide seems dense and difficult but if you go in sequence it's fairly straight forward and very detailed with a lot of information. It will also let you run a successful build with minimal effort to tweak except for some minor things here and there.

The reason I say the above is because you have to put in some work before we can help you, and it is in no means to be negative or unwillingness to help, it's just more efficient for you to get started on that guide and understand as much as you can and then we can help from there. Because using someones EFI folder just to get a system running is not good because if you need to troubleshoot, it will be a nightmare because you won't know what's causing the issue.

Your system is good, but you need to disable Bluetooth and Wifi in the BIOS and get a decent WIFI/BT card so you can take advantage of macOS features such as Wifi/BT, AirDrop, Apple watch unlock, etc. It's an additional $60-$99 spend but totally worth it.

I do not know about the PCE-AC68, looks like it won't work with a Hackintosh. You will need this.

Also for a iMac Pro 1,1 clone, we usually recommend at least a Vega 64. However there have been some people who have the RX580 successfully running, but I personally do not have any experience with it with an X299 system. The overall point of the iMac Pro 1,1 clone is to get it as close as possible to a real iMac Pro.

Some final upgrades. I think it’s finally complete. I’m tired from tweaking and hoping this thing lasts for a while.

Only thing left is 128GB RAM from 64GB.

Anyway, so glad I don’t have to put down $15,000 or whatever for an equivalent Mac Pro haahhaa

810FA1E6-BD8D-4002-8A5E-66D7AC9965F9.png

Last edited:
Some final upgrades. I think it’s finally complete. I’m tired from tweaking and hoping this thing lasts for a while.

Only thing left is 128GB RAM from 64GB.

Anyway, so glad I don’t have to put down $15,000 or whatever for an equivalent Mac Pro haahhaa

View attachment 411552

nice build, PETG tube is your next mission.

nice build, PETG tube is your next mission.

Unfortunately to go with rigid tubes I must completely put a new (actual) watercooling solution because I am using (modified) EK-Phoenix rads with built in waterpumps/reservoir/rad that has plastic barbs. So...you could say...I also "Hack"-ed the watercooling solution :lol:

unnamed (2).png

I'll try to take nice pics of the whole build with decent lighting and post when I get some free time, it's actually the nicest build I've done so far with the Evolv X

It looks very scary in fact. But I will try to figure it out, thanks.

Its work, but this is just wifi card

It's not that scary, just go with it :wave:

The boot disk creation is a little complicated and you can just download from the app store and create the boot disk with the instructions from apple:

Most important:

1) Create Mojave bootdisk on another Mac
2) Mount EFI of bootdisk
3) Copy the KGP 10.14.5 EFI to bootdisk
4) Create TCAdjustReset.kext for your CPU, put in EFI/Kext/Other of bootdisk
5) Boot and install

I may miss a step or two but that's the gist of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back