Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kinda confusing but PC03 doesn't directly correlate to which PCIe slot. From what I've seen, PC03 is usually reserved for onboard PCIe devices such as NVME slots or built in 10G. PC01 and PC02 are reserved for the PCIe slots.

Also I glanced at your ioreg so I may have missed it but I'm not finding your thunderbolt card anywhere in the ioreg? How do you have your BIOS settings setup as?

You can refer to my Thunderbolt subsection on my github

PC00 comes from the PCH. PC02 is the graphic card. PC03 powers two NVMe devices, so it must be the tree from the PCIe slot which shares lanes with some M.2 slots (x16 -> x8 + x4 + x4). M.2 takes PCIe lanes, just like the ASMedia controllers, irrespective whether they have a PCIe slot.
By elimination, the Thunderbolt AIC should come up under PC03.BR3A (just a PCIe bridge, again it doesn't matter whether it's called RP__ or BR__). But it's not there…
Is the card plugged in? Powered? Known to work? It should at the very least come up as an USB controller.

@djlild7hina I used your BIOS settings (already had almost the same but changed a few values here and there) - however still not seeing Thunderbolt in ioreg. I haven't tried to edit the opencore plist yet like you did, as I am curious that both of you say that it seems strange that Thunderbolt doesn't even show up in ioreg. I've tried both PCIEX16_3 and PCIEX16_2 with the new BIOS settings, as I think that it must be one of those (probably PCIEX16_3).
@etorix I'm starting to think that I made a mistake while connecting the TB card, as I'm also having trouble to install the driver on Windows. In fact, the card hasn't been confirmed working yet..
However I'm so sure that I did everything right when I connected the pieces.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 12.08.18.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 12.08.18.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 82
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 12.08.19.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 12.08.19.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 85
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 12.08.18 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 12.08.18 (3).jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 73
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 12.08.18 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 12.08.18 (2).jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 76
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 12.08.18 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 12.08.18 (1).jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 74
Now as you say it, I can see it. I uploaded pics of PC01 to PC03. PC02 seems to be my graphics card, which makes totally sense as I inserted it at PCIEX16_2 (according to the plan of my mainboard from the latest post).

My TB card is placed at PCIEX16_3 according to the plan, so I would assume that PC03 would be the right place.
From the pictures in your above post, the GPU is in the topmost PCIEX16_1 (which would then be PC02 in ACPI), the Titan Ridge is in PCIEX16_2 (PC01?), the Fenvi card in PCIEX1_2 and PCIEX16_3 at the bottom is empty (PC03 in ACPI, if it's the one which shares lanes with M.2, as I interpret the specification—is there a block diagram of the motherboard somewhere?).
Wiring looks fine, so the suspects are down to BIOS settings and the card not being properly seated in the PCIe slot. I would check that, and possibly take the opportunity to move the card to the bottom slot as it would then "waste" 4 lanes (x4 in x8) rather than 12 (x4 in x16).

Do you have any other PC with a free PCIe x4 slot (or larger) to check that the card is working? Because the last possibility is that your Titan Ridge is defective.

Naming madness:
PC01.BR1A reports AAPL,slot-name="PCIEX16_3"… which is obviously wrong because it doesn't share with CPU M.2 slots.
PC02.BR2A reports as "PCI Slot 6", which is correct according to ATX naming conventions if it is the topmost slot (numbered from the bottom, "PCIEX16_3" is slot 1, "PCIEX1_2" is slot 2, "PCIEX16_2" is slot 3, slot 4 is absent, "PCIEX1_1" is slot 5, "PCIEX16_1" is slot 6 and slot 7—the one which comes flush with the back panel—is absent to make room for the slightly lowered RAM slots), but is not consistent with the other names.
PC03.BR3A reports as "PCIEX1_1", which I would rather expect to be PC00.RP17, or maybe RP01.
PC03.BR3C reports as "PCIEX16_2" and PC03.BR3D as "PCIEX16_1", which is obviously wrong.
Do you have cosmetic renames in DeviceProperties or in some SSDT?

Here is the block diagram of the mb. PCIEX16_2 seems to be the right slot according to the plan.

I remember that I read somewhere that PCIEX16_2 would be the best slot for TB3, but it's long time ago and not 100% sure anymore. I will try out PCIEX16_3 as you said.

The BIOS settings for TB are exactly like those ones:
You can refer to my Thunderbolt subsection on my github

Regarding the chaos in my ioreg file. I haven't done any cosmetic renames at all when I did setup the Hackintosh. When I look up at system report, I get pretty much default values for the first entries:

Model name: iMac Pro
Model ID: iMacPro1,1
Processor type: Intel Xeon W

Regarding cosmetic renames in some SSDTs, I cannot say for sure that there aren't any. At least I didn't do any renames by myself and I also think that I used fresh SSDTs to do a clean install. However I had the "SSDT-TBOLT3.alm" which I found at some tutorial in my folder the entire time while posting about this issue. Also didn't change what the guy was setting up for his machine, so never expected that to work on my machine. That was a bit stupid, hope it didn't influence the results of my ioreg report. :/

I've now deleted it and attached a new ioreg file. Also having selected PCIEX16_2 in my BIOS for TB now. I wasn't expecting these changes to influence the results of ioreg, my bad.

Regarding IORegExplorer, just to make sure that I'm not making a mistake. I start the software and save a ioreg file, I don't manually look for and open a specific ioreg file before - that is correct, right?

But after all of this, it still makes no sense that I'm not able to install the TB drivers on Windows. Your assumption might be right and the card could be either defect (which is strange because I bought it new) or I should try connecting it to the lower PCIEX16_3 port.

EDIT: Just figured the new ioreg file looks pretty much the same as the old one. And not getting TB3 to work on windows makes absolutely no sense to me as it should be a super easy installation. You must be right with the card either not working, not properly sitting at the spot or maybe needing a different PCI lane. I'll figure out the latter options and report back. I hope that it's not the card itself..

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.4 MB · Views: 129
  • iMac Pro.ioreg
    8.6 MB · Views: 80
  • Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 12.35.22.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 12.35.22.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
I tried to insert the card on PCIEX16_3 (of course I also changed the corresponding BIOS slot), but it didn't work on Win and OSX.

Also tried inserting it back again on PCIEX16_2, still nothing.

I'm either totally dumb or the card is really not working - which is very strange because I bought it new from a store (a year ago when I built the machine).

My last hope is that there are maybe other BIOS settings, not directly related to TB that could cause the issue?

Uploading my current TB BIOS again, but it's the same like on @djlild7hina 's guide.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 21.01.32 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 21.01.32 (2).jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 64
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 21.01.32 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 21.01.32 (1).jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 62
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 21.01.32.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 21.01.32.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 66
Cosmetic renames are just… cosmetic; they don't mess with IOReg, I was just trying to figure out how the motherboard presents itself to the OS.

I couldn't find a block diagram (this is not a physical drawing but a scheme of the logical wiring; unfortunately, it seems that only Xeon server/workstation boards get this very useful treatment—as an extreme example, here is a block diagram for the Supermicro X11SPA-F, which is an almost pathological case as it tries to make the best of both 48-lane Xeon Scalable and 64-lane Xeon W-3200). But I found confirmation in the manual that PCIEX16_3 is the slot which shares with M.2.

I'm afraid that not seeing the card in Windows or OS X, in any slot, and even after reseating or moving it, make it likely that the card is defective. You may see with Gigabyte support if they have any suggestion to test the card, or if you can send it for an exchange.

Cosmetic renames are just… cosmetic; they don't mess with IOReg, I was just trying to figure out how the motherboard presents itself to the OS.

I couldn't find a block diagram (this is not a physical drawing but a scheme of the logical wiring; unfortunately, it seems that only Xeon server/workstation boards get this very useful treatment—as an extreme example, here is a block diagram for the Supermicro X11SPA-F, which is an almost pathological case as it tries to make the best of both 48-lane Xeon Scalable and 64-lane Xeon W-3200). But I found confirmation in the manual that PCIEX16_3 is the slot which shares with M.2.

I'm afraid that not seeing the card in Windows or OS X, in any slot, and even after reseating or moving it, make it likely that the card is defective. You may see with Gigabyte support if they have any suggestion to test the card, or if you can send it for an exchange.

Now I got you. I found a block diagram for the X299 Deluxe, maybe that helps? As far as I know they are pretty similar boards.

But yes, I think the case is clear. I will contact the GigaByte support after having tested the card on a friends machine. Hopefully I can be back very soon with a working card! :)

And again, thanks for helping me out with this - this board is simply amazing! If it wasn't for nice and helpful people like you, I wouldn't be able to run this Hackintosh.

Much love.

Hello Guys

What Bios are You use for Asus X299 WS 10G? Last one?

Asus-Prime-X299-Deluxe-II.
Are there any requirements for the BIOS version of lightning hot plug. You didn't mention here. Is it possible to realize hot plug in the latest BIOS of 3501?

Hello Guys

What Bios are You use for Asus X299 WS 10G? Last one?

The newer versions work fine but make sure to disable Re Size Bar support.

Asus-Prime-X299-Deluxe-II.
Are there any requirements for the BIOS version of lightning hot plug. You didn't mention here. Is it possible to realize hot plug in the latest BIOS of 3501?

BIOS version shouldn't matter for hot plug.

The newer versions work fine but make sure to disable Re Size Bar support.

BIOS version shouldn't matter for hot plug.
Ok, I see in Asus web site that 3501 bios is an update for compatibility with Windows 11 only. So, I take 3406 bios version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back