Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@curry36
You can try new bios 0702, released today...

Looks like it's not out for all the motherboards yet but yes please try BIOS 0702 non patched with MSR lock disabled in BIOS and report back. Also disable 'AppleCpuPmCfgLock' and 'AppleXcpmCfgLock' in the config.plist. Hopefully ASUS fixed it!

Me too with a lot of differents ssdt, no hotplug on UAD Apollo ..
Hey did you find a fix for hot plug TB3? I have a very similar build and am struggling to get my storage array connected over TB3

@yapan4 @djlild7hina I will try out the new BIOS tomorrow and report back.

But another question. If my understanding is correct, there is nothing that I should do post-installation wise that affects the CPU power, right? In a way that it wouldn't work like out of the box on windows? Not speeking about overclocking.

I'm asking because I experienced a shocking result when comparing audio processing performance A/B to Windows. Both systems get me a Geekbench result of 13500 which is totally average for this CPU (and suggests CPU is running fine on OSX), however when testing Ableton Live on Windows, I managed to get 100% more performance than on OSX. I know that music producing platforms (besides Logic of course) are a bit more efficient on Windows than on Mac, but I never estimated this huge gap.

So I'm not sure if my CPU is not 100% ready yet or if this results are really the truth. I run Intel Power Gadged to monitor my CPU during the test and there was 30% less CPU usage on OSX. That would have closed the gap for sure. Any ideas why OSX prevents me from going all in with my CPU power?

Attached screenshots where you can see the comparison. The amount of Diva Tracks in Ableton Live show the difference of how much is being processed. I chose the last possible number before audio started crackling and showing weird artifacts. Ah and I have no clue why both systems won't show my Power usage but yeah.

Attachments

• OsxDivaTest.png
    OsxDivaTest.png
    455.1 KB · Views: 46
  • WinDivaTest.png
    WinDivaTest.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 45
@curry36
IPG do not show package power, it's not good. You can disable some quirks from three (on attach), probably you need single only or two. First at all disable AppleXCPMExtraMsrs and try bootablity, then other two one by one. Sorry, I don't known which combination is right for your motherboard.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 20.47.38.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 20.47.38.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 43
@yapan4 @djlild7hina I tested with the new BIOS (unpatched) and it seems to work with all the three settings disabled. Guess that's a good thing. :)

Regarding the missing package power display on my CPU, it's kinda weird that it's also not displayed on Windows. Any ideas why that could be case? Maybe some bad BIOS settings?

For everyone who's interested in a music production Hackintosh, I did a second test with another audio software (not Logic) and the results were similar. I'm afraid the case might be that VST-technology invented by Steinberg for Windows will just work better there than on OSX. I have no idea if this also translates to ProTools though. And as I said, performance on Logic should be fine on Mac.

@curry36
Good news, thanks. Hope Asus do the same for all motherboards.

To avoid wrong BIOS settings you can reset to defaults and test IPG on Windows. If ok, then enable BIOS settings necessary for hack and test again in Mac and Win. Of course IPG is latest version(attached).

Also you can compare behaviour of sound production software -Hack vs real Mac- and draw a conclusion.

Attachments

• Archiv.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Resetting my BIOS fixed the power monitor issue for both Win and OSX. Just had to make sure to deactivate MSR Lock for the boot. So I guess this audio performance issues have nothing to do with my built or Hackintosh in general.

One more thing I noticed is that it takes like forever to load stuff into my RAM (also tested inside of my audio software, but other than the CPU workload issue this behavior isn't used to be like this. I double checked with my MacBook Pro).

Any ideas what that could come from? RAM is set to 2933MHz with XMP Profile.

@curry36
I never used sound software and also XMP Profiles on my hack so probably can't help you in this case. But can you specify more detailed this issue(some screenshots, logs, etc)...

@yapan4 I will upload a video later, it's difficult to put into a screenshot.

But basically it's just the following: I load a preset which contains 2GB of sounds. They are automatically loaded into the RAM. On the Hack OSX this takes me about 1:30 minutes. On Windows it takes less than 10 seconds, on my MacBook Pro as well.

According to AJA System Test, the drive that these samples are getting loaded from works fine on my Hackintosh (3000MB/s read).

So I'm just assuming that it must be either 1) RAM not working with the correct speed, however it displays 2933MHz on System Report; or 2) the software not using RAM correctly, which neither makes sense for me because it's the exact same version I'm running on my MacBook Pro without issues.

How about the AptioMemoryFix I've seen on many guides, could that solve my problem? I haven't used it in my OC configuration.

Attachments

• MemorySystemReport.png
    MemorySystemReport.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 54
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back