Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just followed the new UniBeast installation steps , booted with flags darkwake=1, slide=0 , -x , keepsyms=1
but every time stuck on Apple logo and verbose as in the picture
BIOS is configured as per KGP advice for the ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega.
Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3334.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 50
When I plug into the SATA bus, it gets frozen at "HID: Legacy Shim 2."

In my experience, that's a USB problem. But it may be different for you, just can't say for sure.

To start, you must have the right Port Limit patches for Mojave. I don't have them anymore, but that's the first thing you have to have. Next is USBInjectall.kext, and a third thing you could do, because you have an ASUS BIOS, is go into it and shut off some individual ports temporarily so that you could fit under the Apple USB port limit requirements. The focus here is to just get it running - for now, and then work on the other things.

The alternative is if you can configure a USB kexts file, that could work too - that takes time, and right now I'd like to see that you can boot from some kind of fixed disk, connected by either SATA or NVMe.

But if you took the time to configure you own USB kext file, at that point, you would not need the port limit patch, USBInjectall, or shutting off USB ports in your BIOS. I don't think you can rely on kgp's USB kext file, given your problems. Try the first approach, then move to configuring your own USB kext file, that would be my suggestion.

However, it worries me that you can't boot from a SATA connected SATA hard drive (SSD or spinning drive, doesn't matter, right?). That makes me question your hardware or some configuration in your BIOS, like, in your BIOS, are you set for AHCI or RAID (should be AHCI). Still, I can't tell for sure, because I'm remote. I can only offer suggestions.

Oh, and here's another fairly current USB guide (it's also pretty good): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-creating-a-custom-usb-ssdt.272505/

Last edited:
Use ioregistryexplorer 2.1. I got a corrupted file error, and I think that's what happens with the newer versions.

USB 3 ports not working is pretty much expected - you're reaching the port limit. Why the SATA wouldn't work, though, I'm not sure.
In my experience, that's a USB problem. But it may be different for you, just can't say for sure.

To start, you must have the right Port Limit patches for Mojave. I don't have them anymore, but that's the first thing you have to have. Next is USBInjectall.kext, and a third thing you could do, because you have an Asus bios, is go into it and shut off some individual ports temporarily so that you could fit under the Apple USB port limit requirements. The focus here is to just get it running - for now, and then work on the other things.

The alternative is if you can configure a USB kexts file, that could work too - that takes time, and right now I'd like to see that you can boot from some kind of fixed disk, connected by either Sata or NVMe.

But if you took the time to configure you own USB kext file, at that point, you would not need the port limit patch, USBInjectall, or shutting off USB ports in your BIOS. I don't think you can rely on kgp's USB kext file, given your problems. Try the first approach, then move to configuring your own USB kext file, that would be my suggestion.

However, it worries me that you can't boot from a Sata connected Sata hard drive (SSD or spinning drive, doesn't matter, right?). That makes me question your hardware or some configuration in your bios, like, in your bios, are you set for AHCI or RAID (should be AHCI). Still, I can't tell for sure, because I'm remote. I can only offer suggestions.

Oh, and here's another fairly current USB guide (it's also pretty good): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-creating-a-custom-usb-ssdt.272505/

Ah, I hadn't even considered that my motherboard probably has more USB ports than any Mac. That makes sense.

Attached is my IORegistry from version 2 (one before I changed up the USB kexts following mm2margaret's suggestion, and one after I changed them).

I followed your instructions, mm2margaret, for a temp USB Kext setup, and now my USB 3.0 is working. I'm able to boot when hooking up the system drive to the front USB 3.0 ports on my case. Awesome! Thank you. I'll make my own USB kext file in the coming days.

Also, in my BIOS (which I had reset recently), it is in Intel RST Premium (RAID) mode, and not in AHCI. When I go to change it, it warns that it may result in data loss. Am I pretty safe to ignore that?

When I'm on the Windows side, disks hooked up to SATA work fine so I don't think it's a hardware issue. My windows system drive is NVME (also wondering about accessing that from the Mac side for sharing files, but I'll save that for another time).

Attachments

• ioregistry2.ioreg
    7.7 MB · Views: 102
  • ioregistry after changing usb kexts and port limits.ioreg
    7.8 MB · Views: 100
Also, in my BIOS (which I had reset recently), it is in Intel RST Premium (RAID) mode, and not in AHCI. When I go to change it, it warns that it may result in data loss. Am I pretty safe to ignore that?

Yeah, you can ignore it. I'm just now remembering that my BIOS has that default, too. I think because Windows is able to use it in either mode with that setting. You're getting pretty close!

Ah, I hadn't even considered that my motherboard probably has more USB ports than any Mac. That makes sense.

Attached is my IORegistry from version 2 (one before I changed up the USB kexts following mm2margaret's suggestion, and one after I changed them).

I followed your instructions, mm2margaret, for a temp USB Kext setup, and now my USB 3.0 is working. I'm able to boot when hooking up the system drive to the front USB 3.0 ports on my case. Awesome! Thank you. I'll make my own USB kext file in the coming days.

When I'm on the Windows side, disks hooked up to SATA work fine so I don't think it's a hardware issue. My windows system drive is NVME (also wondering about accessing that from the Mac side for sharing files, but I'll save that for another time).

You can't lose data if you disconnect your drives when you change it to AHCI, I mean if you're that worried about it, I really doubt you would anyway, but if you're worried, just disconnect your drives, and you'll be fine........you can access your Windows stuff from the Mac side with NTFS for the Mac or Tuxera, btw, they cost about $15-20......you can do the reverse (from Windows to Mac) with Paragon's APFS for the Mac utility. There are others, so just look around for the best one you can get.....gotta be proactive and use that Google machine, right?

Yeah, you can ignore it. I'm just now remembering that my BIOS has that default, too. I think because Windows is able to use it in either mode with that setting. You're getting pretty close!
You can't lose data if you disconnect your drives when you change it to AHCI, I mean if you're that worried about it, I really doubt you would anyway, but if you're worried, just disconnect your drives, and you'll be fine........you can access your Windows stuff from the Mac side with NTFS for the Mac or Tuxera, btw, they cost about $15-20......you can do the reverse (from Windows to Mac) with Paragon's APFS for the Mac utility. There are others, so just look around for the best one you can get.....gotta be proactive and use that Google machine, right?

The OSX side is now working with SATA. Hallelujah! You guys are awesome - thank you! And from what I read, the NVMe should work more efficiently on the Windows side set to AHCI.

One thing... I left my NVMe with Windows 10 plugged in when making the change to AHCI in the BIOS. But when I tried booting it didn't show up (it tried to do a repair) but still wouldn't boot. Then when I switched back to RAID, it did a repair and started up to the desktop in Windows. I then pulled it out fully to test the OSX side with AHCI mode. Then I unplugged the OSX disk, switched the BIOS back to RAID, and reinstalled the NVMe. But now the NVMe Windows 10 doesn't show up in my discs when I hit F8. If I restart and it open in Safe Mode, it shows that the NVMe is recognized, and in the BIOS it shows it when I select Boot Priority, but it won't show when actually booting. The boot menu pops up with the only option "Enter Setup." I guess I could try putting back into AHCI mode and see if it gets recognized. I'm a little scared to - don't want to mess up my Windows drive. I read that before switching from RAID to AHCI, you have to make a software change in Windows 10 in the registry so that it will then properly repair itself after boot. Any idea?

But now the NVMe Windows 10 doesn't show up in my discs when I hit F8.

I've often found that X99 and X299 UEFIs are weird when it comes to showing the correct boot options, and invariably this manual EFI boot setup procedure is helpful:

Specifically the "Clover UEFI Shell" section - that's how I normally do it.

From your description, I'd first connect both drives in AHCI mode, boot to OS X, and see if it's able to mount the NTFS read-only. If so, I really think that Clover should be able to load your Windows for you (so F8 not needed), assuming you installed it in UEFI mode. But it's always possible you'll have to pull the data off and reinstall Windows.

From your description, I'd first connect both drives in AHCI mode, boot to OS X, and see if it's able to mount the NTFS read-only. If so, I really think that Clover should be able to load your Windows for you (so F8 not needed), assuming you installed it in UEFI mode. But it's always possible you'll have to pull the data off and reinstall Windows.

I was able to follow this easy fix to get the Windows NVMe drive back up in AHCI mode:
Step 1 Restart Windows in Safe Mode (Win key + R key then type msconfig - in the boot tab check ''safe boot'', restart PC.
Step 2 Enter BIOS and switch from IDE to ACHI then restart.
Step 3 After booting to Windows entered in safe mode, go back into msconfig and turn off "Safe Mode"

And now all seems to be working very smoothly. This is awesome. Thank you to all of you.

All my USB ports are working fine. If all ports are working, why make the custom USB Kext? Will performance improve, or could there be complications of using the temp fix over time?

Yes. There's a reason kgp's guide is so long. UniBeast doesn't support X299.

Many thanks
I have followed kgp's thread and created USB using Terminal and updated NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus firmware , used flags -v darkwake=2 keepsyms=1 slide=0 , but no luck getting to the the installer.
Any advice would highly appreciated : please see attached EFI folder and screen shots.

Attachments

• IMG_3377.JPG
    IMG_3377.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 43
  • EFI.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3379 2.mov.zip
    56.7 MB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back