Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used KGP's iMac Pro High Sierra guide and had macOS running well. I upgraded from the Asus Prime x299 Deluxe to the Asus Prime Deluxe II. I get stuck at the Apple Logo. Can anyone make a recommendations of what adjustments I might need to make? Any high-level info would be great and then I can look into how to execute the details.

I used KGP's iMac Pro High Sierra guide and had macOS running well. I upgraded from the Asus Prime x299 Deluxe to the Asus Prime Deluxe II. I get stuck at the Apple Logo. Can anyone make a recommendations of what adjustments I might need to make? Any high-level info would be great and then I can look into how to execute the details.

Hey Garbage,
Post your specs, if you want Catalina your GTX 1060 is not going to be supported. I am running the same MB as you with a AMD Vega64 on 10.15.2 / Clover v5103 with no problems. I have Win 10 on a seperate SSD. I will try to help you.

This is supposed to be a support forum. However it is more about who has the fastest CPU, GPU and if you don't know all that they know they tell you to go read KGP's post and leave them alone.

I don't have those motherboards, but one thing you could try is to enable 4g encoding in the bios, and if that doesn't work, disable it and boot to see one or the other works. I'm guessing, as I don't have either of those motherboards, that a bios setting might be your issue. And, you are on High Sierra? Not even Mojave yet?

You could boot with verbose turned on, and then post where it stops (use a video camera or your phone camera to record the screen if you have to). That might be helpful for those who would want to troubleshoot it with you. Also post what version of clover or opencore you are working with, and post screenshots of your ACPI -> patched directory, the kexts directory and the drivers directory.

But someone who has that motherboard would probably be able to give you better insight about what the differences between the two are, and how to troubleshoot it.

Last edited:
Hey Garbage,
Post your specs, if you want Catalina your GTX 1060 is not going to be supported. I am running the same MB as you with a AMD Vega64 on 10.15.2 / Clover v5103 with no problems. I have Win 10 on a seperate SSD. I will try to help you.

This is supposed to be a support forum. However it is more about who has the fastest CPU, GPU and if you don't know all that they know they tell you to go read KGP's post and leave them alone.

I appreciate the words of caution, and I appreciate the help. I'm using the Asus Prime Deluxe II, i9-7940X CPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, GEForce GTX 1060, and a Samsung 960GB SSD (PM 863). The Clover version is v2.4k r4586 EFI bootloader. Is that what you mean by "post my specs"? I also posted a screenshot of my Clover folder below (next post from this one).

Are you on the Deluxe II or the original Deluxe?

I'd prefer not use Catalina. Mojave or High Sierra are fine. I stayed with High Sierra on my old motherboard because everything was working and didn't want to mess with it.

Last edited:
I don't have those motherboards, but one thing you could try is to enable 4g encoding in the bios, and if that doesn't work, disable it and boot to see one or the other works. I'm guessing, as I don't have either of those motherboards, that a bios setting might be your issue. And, you are on High Sierra? Not even Mojave yet?

You could boot with verbose turned on, and then post where it stops (use a video camera or your phone camera to record the screen if you have to). That might be helpful for those who would want to troubleshoot it with you. Also post what version of clover or opencore you are working with, and post screenshots of your ACPI -> patched directory, the kexts directory and the drivers directory.

But someone who has that motherboard would probably be able to give you better insight about what the differences between the two are, and how to troubleshoot it.
I appreciate the help. 4g Encoding was already on based on KGP's original instructions. I turned it off and restarted and got the 8 beeps for graphics issues and can't see BIOS. I tried the Display Port built into the Prime Deluxe II but it doesn't seem to work (I think the monitor needs to be Thunderbolt 3 which mine is not). I only have the GTX 1060. Is the only way to get back up to reset the BIOS with the BIOS flashback button?

My ACPI directory is empty (also nothing in the patched directory), the Kexts directory has only empty folders, and the drivers directory is here:

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 2.08.03 PM.png

I appreciate the help. 4g Encoding was already on based on KGP's original instructions. I turned it off and restarted and got the 8 beeps for graphics issues and can't see BIOS. I tried the Display Port built into the Prime Deluxe II but it doesn't seem to work (I think the monitor needs to be Thunderbolt 3 which mine is not). I only have the GTX 1060. Is the only way to get back up to reset the BIOS with the BIOS flashback button?

My ACPI directory is empty (also nothing in the patched directory), the Kexts directory has only empty folders, and the drivers directory is here:

View attachment 445029
I don't think you can just swap a motherboard and use the same EFI, even if modified. I think you should rebuild your EFI from the ground up and use a recent version of Clover, update all the minimum drivers (which are relocated in latest versions of Clover) and kext to the latest.

I hope this will help!

Is the only way to get back up to reset the BIOS with the BIOS flashback button?

Well, maybe that's the only way for your motherboard, but I would caution you that turning off 4g encoding should not block you from entering the bios....that should not happen. You may have a hardware issue.....

Well, maybe that's the only way for your motherboard, but I would caution you that turning off 4g encoding should not block you from entering the bios....that should not happen. You may have a hardware issue.....

I don't know that it's that surprising. I have been unable to enter BIOS and forced to reset CMOS before, with this setting. Although it was on X99, and I was turning it on not off!

I wouldn't expect it with a GPU and an SSD as the only PCI-e devices, though.

I don't know that it's that surprising. I have been unable to enter BIOS and forced to reset CMOS before, with this setting. Although it was on X99, and I was turning it on not off!

Okay, but a while back I had a Prime Deluxe I, and I never had this happen to me. I experimented turning 4g encoding on and off for a while to see which worked best for me. Having it on really worked best, but it never blocked me from entering the bios. Sure, turning it off meant it wouldn't boot, but I was able to get into the bios regardless of whether 4g encoding was on or off.

But I don't have that motherboard anymore and that's why I recommended that he should really work with someone who has more current experience with his motherboard, and actually has one, either a PD I or II. Maybe his bios is somehow different. I just don't know....

Okay, but a while back I had a Prime Deluxe I, and I never had this happen to me. I experimented turning 4g encoding on and off for a while to see which worked best for me. Having it on really worked best, but it never blocked me from entering the bios. Sure, turning it off meant it wouldn't boot, but I was able to get into the bios regardless of whether 4g encoding was on or off.

But I don't have that motherboard anymore and that's why I recommended that he should really work with someone who has more current experience with his motherboard, and actually has one, either a PD I or II. Maybe his bios is somehow different. I just don't know....

When I was using an Asus X99 Prime, I had to reset my BIOS when adjusting the 4g Encoding. That was of course with a different CPU, though the same model of RAM. I think the BIOS is there, but I just can't see it because of the Graphics card issue. Might it be that changing the 4g encoding setting to Off doesn't work with my graphics card for some reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back