Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kylec, so I used the method as mentioned in the guide. With the Install Mojave.app in my applications folder I used the following:

sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/install_osx --nointeraction

This resulted in my USB Drive having one partition named "Install macOS Mojave" and that loosk good. I am concerned though as both in that guide and in KGP's guide, it is mentioned that this should have created a second empty EFI-partition, but I don't see it in Disk Utility, are they just not normally viewable?

Quote from KGP's guide:
1.) Format a USB Flash Drive of your choice (source, named USB) with HFS+ [(Mac OS Extended (Journaled)] and a GUID partition table by means of Apple's Disk Utility on any other Hackintosh or Mac of your choice. This will create an empty HFS+ Partition and a yet empty EFI-partition on your iMac Pro macOS USB Flash Drive Installer.

2.) With the macOS Mojave 10.14 Installer Package in your /Application Folder, connect your USB Flash Drive (named USB) and run the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --nointeraction
3.) For successfully booting your iMac Pro macOS USB Flash Drive Installer, the latter must however also contain a valid EFI- Folder with an SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 system definition. Thus, copy the EFI-Folder you prepared in Section D.1) to the yet empty EFI Partition of your macOS USB Flash Drive Installer.

You now have a fully functional and bootable macOS Mojave 10.14 USB Flash Drive Installer.

I have no where this empty EFI partition is supposed to come from as formatting the USB drive in Disk Utility as HFS+ with GUID partition table does not also create an empty EFI partition that I can see.

Last edited:
Hello Guys I had a working x299 system, but months ago I started to have random app crashes...
I have posted a long post where I have wrote everything that I know about .
Do you think that could be a Memory Leak?

Thanks in Advice . :)

Hi guys,

I’m writing here as last try to fix an BIG issue that’s driving me crazy from a long time.
I’ve been making music for more than 20 years, the last 10 using Mac computers, and now I have a good Hackintosh, based on a x299 board.

The issue it’s easy to notice when I work in my audio workstation, Cubase, but it can happen with other programs, so it’s not Cubase related. The issue is shown in several ways, for instance, when I’m working with Cubase, it may start demanding a lot of CPU with no reason, or it may be a not working instance of a plugin, or a crashing project or a program crashing on exit, etc.

I’ve tried a lot of things, a lot, in every MacOs computer that I have. In my Hack, i’ve reinstalled the OS a lot of times, and EVERY single program and plugin that I use. Those are weeks of work, night and day, setting up things, making test, and so on. The result is always the same: it starts working good, but, slowly, the crashes came back and a few months after, I can’t even work.

Now I even have a completely NEW computer: every single piece has been changed for the same on. I friend bough the same computer, so he lent it to me to get every part that I may need, with no luck.

My work depends on having a proper computer working every single day and delivering my work on time, so I can’t afford having a computer behaving RANDOMLY, even worse with a client sit by my side.

To my ears, it sounds like a memory leak, but I’m not able to find what makes that happen so I hope someone could give any lead to fix this.

I have attached some crash error logs from Nuendo.

Let me know any kind of files, dumps, crash logs and everything that you think that could help.

Also I attach the latest Efi Folder that im using (with a changed SMBIOS to avoid problems)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Crash logs Nuendo.zip
    282.4 KB · Views: 55
  • EFI LAST TRY.zip
    22.9 MB · Views: 57
Ok I figured out that there is indeed an EFI partition, I had to be in clover configurator to see it, and now I can mount it. Would be a nice thing to have in the guide ;)

@izo1 How are you controlling your fans and pump speed? I figure for the fans as long as they can be read, the macfancontrol, but are you just relying on your motherboard to control the pumps?

Simply through custom fan curves in the ASUS BIOS. Not using any software.

@izo1 What version of Mojave are you running? I am assuming you followed KGP's Mojave setup guide. I am late to the game, should I grab 10.14.4 as his guide mentions, or a later Mojave. I am using the latest Clover Configurator.

I'm on Catalina 10.15.2.

Not using KGP guide, on a different bootloader for many months now (OpenCore).

You can stick to Mojave 10.14.6 and clover.

So this will be a noob question, but it is left out of the KGP guide or I didn't understand how it was worded. Once I have macOS Mojave installed on my system disk via my USB drive, and I am in the OS, do I take the contents of my USB drive's EFI partition and copy that into the system disk's EFI partition ( even though there is a directory named APPLE in the base of it? ). If so do I leave that APPLE folder in my system disk's EFI partition and just add the BOOT and CLOVER folders alongside it, or do I nuke the APPLE folder?

System Disk EFI partition:
|-APPLE
|-EFI {from USB drive}

or is it

|-APPLE
|-BOOT {from USB drive}
|-CLOVER {from USB drive}

Or something else completely? I think it "should" be the first one where the EFI folder just gets added, but I am unsure.

Last edited:
So this will be a noob question, but it is left out of the KGP guide or I didn't understand how it was worded. Once I have macOS Mojave installed on my system disk via my USB drive, and I am in the OS, do I take the contents of my USB drive's EFI partition and copy that into the system disk's EFI partition ( even though there is a directory named APPLE in the base of it? ). If so do I leave that APPLE folder in my system disk's EFI partition and just add the BOOT and CLOVER folders alongside it, or do I nuke the APPLE folder?

|-APPLE
|-EFI {from USB drive}

or is it

|-APPLE
|-BOOT {from USB drive}

Or something else completely? I think it "should" be the first one where the EFI folder just gets added, but I am unsure.

The EFI folder structure of your installation disc should be:
- EFI
- APPLE
- BOOT (copy of your USB key)
- CLOVER (copy of your USB key)

it is recommended to install Clover with CLOVER.pkg ( it will install BOOT and CLOVER on your EFI folder and you can copy ACPI/Patched/SSDTs, config.plist and kexts on it)

Capture d’écran 2019-12-31 à 21.39.28.png

Last edited:

|-APPLE
|-EFI {from USB drive}

or is it

|-APPLE
|-BOOT {from USB drive}

Warbands,

The Apple folder is not needed in your efi partition. I deleted it from mine. No problems on os 10.15.2.

I'm on Catalina 10.15.2.

Not using KGP guide, on a different bootloader for many months now (OpenCore).

You can stick to Mojave 10.14.6 and clover.

I moved over to OpenCore today, not too difficult. I have a pretty damn good working setup now ( built off CC and then moved to OpenCore )
The biggest win was the shock that the Bluetooth on the ASUS Rampage VI Extreme is supported out of the box!!

I just moved over to VirtualSMC and I don't get any GPU temps off my Radeon VII, and I my i9 7940x won't report my wattage correctly in either istat menu or intel power gadget ( or any other reporter I have seen )

Once I learned of VoodooTSCSync.kext my issues poofed! Getting USBMap ironed out was a nice update as well.

I haven't tried to tackle sleep yet, but I am super happy with how well this Mojave 10.14.6 setup is now working.

Overall I am super happy with how well things have worked out. The move to OpenCore just increased my understanding of how everything works together, in particular SSDTs.

Besides the concern of temp and wattage monitoring, my last issue I would like to resolve would be the spam I get in regards to this:

AppleUSB20HubPort@14132200: AppleUSBHostPort::disconnect: persistent enumeration failures

I get hammered with these in the console. I was able to get rid of this issue by turning off Above 4G Decoding, but I then lost all my USB ports except 1 as that one is special, the rest are USB 3. That wasn't a fix, and seeing USBMap reports that I am down to 7 or 8 USB ports, I am under the 15 limit. Anyone have any ideas?

@izo1 What are you using for hardware monitor both program and kext wise?

Last edited:
QUOTE FROM WARBANDS:

"(Overall I am super happy with how well things have worked out. The move to OpenCore just increased my understanding of how everything works together, in particular SSDTs.

Besides the concern of temp and wattage monitoring, my last issue I would like to resolve would be the spam I get in regards to this:

AppleUSB20HubPort@14132200: AppleUSBHostPort::disconnect: persistent enumeration failures

I get hammered with these in the console. I was able to get rid of this issue by turning off Above 4G Decoding, but I then lost all my USB ports except 1 as that one is special, the rest are USB 3. That wasn't a fix, and seeing USBMap reports that I am down to 7 or 8 USB ports, I am under the 15 limit. Anyone have any ideas?)"

Warbands,
How's it going with OpenCore? Your move from Clover is inspiring me to try it. My X299 is running 10.15.2 very smoothly. But I see a challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back