Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank You for your reply djbuddha. I've checked BIOS, and it seems OK. 2002 BIOS version isn't exactly the same parameters 1503.

4G must be set to Enabled (auto) on SAGE10/G.

If I disable it, I get a black screen on boot and it doesn't work and have to manually reset CMOS.

2002 BIOS is fine, initially I had issues, but after a reset and manual BIOS setting input it is all ok now.

I saved the .CMO to a USB stick for future reference.

Last edited:
Ok so update of sorts:

- Fixed my boot issue, it was the hard drive, bought another hard drive, install went smooth.
- I flashed my Titan Ridge and it KIND of works..... well not Thunderbolt- just USB-C ... USB-C devices run at full speed from the it, but Thunderbolt 3 isn't working at all. System Report states: Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded. When I connect my Caldigit, the light comes on but no devices work (not surprised). About to re-consult the kgp guide and re-read about TB3.
- Even though I'm using a Sapphire Nitro Vega 64, do I need WhateverGreen.kext? For some reason my display is suddenly only running at 30hz (it was running at 60hz before I changed my boot drive).

Next step is to boot ubuntu and pray I flash this network card correctly.

I've had some issue with Final Cut X (if I cmd + tab while exporting it crashes sometimes)- and when I close a project, a frame from the project remains. If I do quick cuts in my project, sometime the frame gets corrupted on the export, so I've had to be mindful of that.

Also, I notice that the h264 exports aren't much faster than my 2017 Macbook Pro (not a big deal, it was ProRes I wanted acceleration from which I'm getting lots of with the current 10 core).

In case anyone is interested in 10980XE performance

In case anyone is interested in 10980XE performance

Saw this video a few days ago... the embargo at my local computer store lifts tomorrow, so I may have the chip soon.
(edit: nevermind, saw a different video by the same Youtuber with a 10980XE) :eek:

I booted just fine back into MacOS with the BIOS update (typing on it right now). About to go back to kgp's guide for this TB3 issue.

Any idea on how to fix my FCPX issues?

Last edited:
@izo1 do you or anyone else have a copy of SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml for the Sage 10G? Github is throwing errors right now.

Nvm: just got it.

Anybody else notice on the Sage 10G WS with BIOS 2002 vs 0905, it seems to keep my clock speeds above 4.3 ghz at max load (instead of just under 4 ghz) and with that it's running a lot hotter.

Before the update, my average idle temp was around 35 C .. now it's almost 9-10 degrees higher
At load I capped just under 75 C .. Now I'm seeing it hit around 96-97 which is intense.

Using an H150i but I haven't altered anything in terms of cooling.

I don't know what else I need to do to solve the FCPX issues- did a bit of reading and I'm not sure my next course of action.

Last edited:
Anybody else notice on the Sage 10G WS with BIOS 2002 vs 0905, it seems to keep my clock speeds above 4.3 ghz at max load (instead of just under 4 ghz) and with that it's running a lot hotter.

Before the update, my average idle temp was around 35 C .. now it's almost 9-10 degrees higher
At load I capped just under 75 C .. Now I'm seeing it hit around 96-97 which is intense.

Using an H150i but I haven't altered anything in terms of cooling.

I don't know what else I need to do to solve the FCPX issues- did a bit of reading and I'm not sure my next course of action.

BIOS updates have nothing to do with temps. Somethings funky with your settings (are you OCing?)

Clear your CMOS by using CLR_CMOS button and/or removing battery and disconnecting/turning off the power input for a few mins. I would also recommend flashing the 2002 BIOS once more by using the USB Flashback feature (format your USB Stick as FAT32 MBR and not GUID) and it explains in the manual of the mobo how to do it. I must have flashed it maybe 3 times on my end (also making sure your power doesn't go out during this process, of course)

Regarding FCPX issues, no idea, works well here on my end, but I don't use it a lot so haven't done extensive testing.

Ok so update of sorts:

- Fixed my boot issue, it was the hard drive, bought another hard drive, install went smooth.
- I flashed my Titan Ridge and it KIND of works..... well not Thunderbolt- just USB-C ... USB-C devices run at full speed from the it, but Thunderbolt 3 isn't working at all. System Report states: Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded. When I connect my Caldigit, the light comes on but no devices work (not surprised). About to re-consult the kgp guide and re-read about TB3.
- Even though I'm using a Sapphire Nitro Vega 64, do I need WhateverGreen.kext? For some reason my display is suddenly only running at 30hz (it was running at 60hz before I changed my boot drive).

Next step is to boot ubuntu and pray I flash this network card correctly.

I've had some issue with Final Cut X (if I cmd + tab while exporting it crashes sometimes)- and when I close a project, a frame from the project remains. If I do quick cuts in my project, sometime the frame gets corrupted on the export, so I've had to be mindful of that.

Also, I notice that the h264 exports aren't much faster than my 2017 Macbook Pro (not a big deal, it was ProRes I wanted acceleration from which I'm getting lots of with the current 10 core).

Your MacBook is using the iGPU and/or T2 chip, hence the quick exports.

Since your hackintosh does not have a iGPU or T2, it falls back into a mixture of software and GPU hardware encoding. It won't be that slow, but it will be slower.

We had a discussion about this here.

FCPx is always going to work different compared to something like Davinci Resolve. Because FCPx is built by Apple, it heavily relies on the T2 chip and iGPU. Something like Davinci Resolve and Premiere will be optimized differently (i.e., it can depend on dGPU).

I agree with Linus.....and personally, I'm tired of Intel coming out with "new" chips at outrageous prices that offer only a 2.5-5% performance boost.

Remember, there's a 32 core threadripper soon to be out, and it will cost about the same as the 7980xe and 9980xe used to cost, and it will bury them....and it might even bury the 28 core "monster" that is the top of the line in the new Mac Pro that can easily cost more than a car.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back