Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I have HDMI connected, I can’t change it to anything higher than 1280x720 without it losing its mind lol. Also, Final Cut “works” but there’s issues (when I close a project it leaves a frame open)... if I cmd tab it crashes more often than not and if I export a file with quick frame changes- sometimes it destroys specific frames in the export. Latest FCPX from the App Store running latest Mojave.

Wanted to attempt to fix it today while I had a few hours lol

edit: just checked that link:

“Update: MacOS Mojave 10.14.5+ includes a major overhaul of the Vega GPU drivers which should resolve all the power and fan control issues with OEM Vega cards and thus should make the methods outlined in this guide no longer necessary. Although you can still use the method to apply a core and/or memory overclock”

I'm a little bit in trouble with your choice for PCI-E Slot 4 : PCIE 3.0/2.0 x16_4 slot (x0/x8 mode)
For me you should choose better 3.0/2.0 x16_1 slot or PCIE 3.0/2.0 x16_3 slot (x16/x8 mode) or PCIE 3.0/2.0 x16_5 slot (x16/x8 mode) or I don't understand all ? :think:

Last edited:
I'm a little bit in trouble with your choice for PCI-E Slot 4 : PCIE 3.0/2.0 x16_4 slot (x0/x8 mode)
For me your should better choose PCIE 3.0/2.0 x16_1 slot or PCIE 3.0/2.0 x16_3 slot (x16/x8 mode) or PCIE 3.0/2.0 x16_5 slot (x16/x8 mode) or I don't understand all ? :think:

I was going mainly by @izo1’s build :lol: That’s why I chose those slots

But the card seems to only run at 8x there so I may have to move it again lol

I was going mainly by @izo1’s build :lol: That’s why I chose those slots

But the card seems to only run at 8x there so I may have to move it again lol

Yes :)

I originally had it in slot 5- I moved it because I couldn’t fit the silverstone card in slot 7 as suggested. (This card is huge). I’ll move it to slot 3 when I get back to it over the weekend.

So to confirm

slot 1 - Bt/wifi
slot 2 - titan ridge
slot 3 - Vega 64
slot 7 - Silverstone USB pcie card

This is correct, right? :lol:

I originally had it in slot 5- I moved it because I couldn’t fit the silverstone card in slot 7 as suggested. (This card is huge). I’ll move it to slot 3 when I get back to it over the weekend.

So to confirm

slot 1 - Bt/wifi
slot 2 - titan ridge
slot 3 - Vega 64
slot 7 - Silverstone USB pcie card

This is correct, right? :lol:

I would recommend Vega 64 in slot 1 if at all possible then slot 5. I know slot 1 isn’t easy (vertical mount or watercool seem to be the only options) if you have the titan ridge in slot 2.

So for you I would do
slot 1 - Bt/wifi
slot 2 - titan ridge
slot 3 - Silverstone USB pcie card
slot 5 - Vega 64.

Once you put something in slot 4 or 6, slots 2-7 will become x8.

If thunderbolt hot plug isn’t important to you, you can put the thunderbolt card in any of the slots. Jump pins 3 and 5 for usb c hot plug.

I would recommend Vega 64 in slot 1 if at all possible then slot 5. I know slot 1 isn’t easy (vertical mount or watercool seem to be the only options) if you have the titan ridge in slot 2.

So for you I would do
slot 1 - Bt/wifi
slot 2 - titan ridge
slot 3 - Silverstone USB pcie card
slot 5 - Vega 64.

Once you put something in slot 4 or 6, slots 2-7 will become x8.

If thunderbolt hot plug isn’t important to you, you can put the thunderbolt card in any of the slots. Jump pins 3 and 5 for usb c hot plug.

Oooooooooh great call THANK YOU! :headbang:

For me you should choose better 3.0/2.0 x16_1 slot or PCIE 3.0/2.0 x16_3 slot (x16/x8 mode) or PCIE 3.0/2.0 x16_5 slot (x16/x8 mode) or I don't understand all ? :think:

Slot 5 works ok @ 16x.

My mistake about suggesting Slot 4 in the OC efi.

You do know that if you're running a late version of Mojave or any version of Catalina, your Vega should run natively without any SSDT at all?

They say when you walk away from something- there’s something in your brain that processes problems on a subconscious level. It’s a fascinating theory.....

Yesterday I had car issues and was scrambling to see visit my parents and get my car towed and fixed etc

Then when I finally sat down to relax, I randomly asked myself the following ...

“I wonder why I’m an idiot who didn’t consider that the long older HDMI cable I’m using isn’t going to pass 4K- and messing with drivers is pointless because it’s literally the stupid cable that’s giving me all the headaches....”

Moral of the story- the simplest solution is often the best solution.

This weekend can’t come fast enough / sleep is necessity at this point. Hope I can solve the boot loader issue and get this thing up and running as optimally as imagined.

I've noticed that longer HDMI cables are particularly prone to causing problems when they're coiled. It apparently causes the self-impedance to go up - so weird!

I've noticed that longer HDMI cables are particularly prone to causing problems when they're coiled. It apparently causes the self-impedance to go up - so weird!

It was definitely the HDMI cable lol

Also, Amazon sent the wrong USB card. They sent the EC04 which definitely didn’t work lol. But I got a ECU04 delivered on Friday, so now I can attack this machine today and tomorrow after an intense work week. Hope some of you are around for my inevitable questions......

Like this one lol: Do I need to do anything on the macOS side before updating my Sage 10G from BIOS 0905 to 2002?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back