Contribute
Register

ASUS X299 Monterey/Ventura Support

Nah, I only update regular releases. Don't plan on messing with any betas.
I understand. I guess even with betas, they're not the official release anyway and things (code wise), change anyway, so that could put anyone back at square one in trying to figure things out again. But it looks like it's coming around here sometime this month, so it'll be interesting how our mobos will work with Ventura, when it's officially released. Until then, later... :cool:

Last edited:
@CaseySJ there is one more thing I gotta ask.

So in this process, I noticed in the BIOS that all the drives are showing up from my Caldigit dock. But in MacOS, only some of them do. I end up playing swap meet with the ports until they all show up.

This behaviour happens with both cards with all the firmware I tested. It seems like the dock is actually picking them up (because I seen them in the BIOS list on boot) but not in MacOS. Sometime none show up, sometime they all show up, sometimes one or 2 of them show up (there’s 3)

My Thunderbolt 3 audio interface (Apollo X4) always comes up without issue.

Is there something I need to change in MacOS to fix this?

@CaseySJ Quick update, and maybe you can assist here.

I abandoned the Thunderbolt 4 testing, I have the latest NVM firmware flashed to my Gigabyte GC-Titan (1.0, sold the 2.0 card) and it works as my old firmware did. So here's the issue:

Caldigit has sent me another replacement dock. This one is brand new, and I have to play music chairs with the USB ports. Sometimes, some ports are working, some times most of the ports are working, and sometimes only 1 port is working. I've attached the dock to a real Macbook Pro and everything comes up no problem, so now I've eliminated the dock as the issue. Also, the firmware on the dock was factory updated to the latest version which I verified in System Information.

I've tried rebooting, SMC resetting among many other things and can't figure this out. Strangely, when I cold boot the Hackintosh with the dock connected, the light powers on, on the dock, but none of my devices show up until I unplug and re-plug the card.

Is there a preferences file or something I need to wipe / fix, and does USB mapping have any effect on this? I've never ever seen this before. When I had Mojave, everything seemed to just work but I'm at a loss here. The previous dock I had, had some serious issues which prompted the replacement.

Let me know your thoughts, I really want to fix this.

Edit: Also, and this may be helpful, I have my Apollo X4 connected via the Thunderbolt daisy-chain port on the dock and like the quoted post, it ALWAYS comes up no matter what. So I'm leaning towards some kind of USB interpretation issue?

@djbuddha,

You won't like my answer, but the musical chairs with Thunderbolt ports is a known issue. We experiment with the two ports to understand the quirks, then do our best to live with the problem.

@djbuddha,

You won't like my answer, but the musical chairs with Thunderbolt ports is a known issue. We experiment with the two ports to understand the quirks, then do our best to live with the problem.
Wait, musical chairs with the Thunderbolt ports? Or musical chairs with the USB ports through a Thunderbolt dock?

My Thunderbolt ports always work, my USB is mapped which I’m wondering if that’s what caused this issue. All my USB ports on the machine itself work, and before Monterey, all the ports on the Thunderbolt dock worked fine.

Wait, musical chairs with the Thunderbolt ports? Or musical chairs with the USB ports through a Thunderbolt dock?

My Thunderbolt ports always work, my USB is mapped which I’m wondering if that’s what caused this issue. All my USB ports on the machine itself work, and before Monterey, all the ports on the Thunderbolt dock worked fine.
So the USB ports on the CalDigit dock are not reliable (i.e. musical chairs)?

Have you tried both NVM33 and NVM60 on the GC-Titan Ridge?

I was running NVM33 before and was having the same issue. I had tried 60 during all this Thunderbolt 4 testing and still had the issue. I’m on the NVM from the last firmware (I believe 67) now.

I swapped the Thunderbolt dock because I was having DisplayPort flickering which is now solved with the new dock. But the USB musical chairs remains on the dock. On the MacBook it’s fine.

@CaseySJ so here’s an update.

The dock is working, it shows all the drives connected in the BIOS but they don’t all show up in MacOS. So the question is, what do I change in MacOS to get everything to show back up?

Attachments

• BEA41D87-DD66-420A-869F-6B3724508131.jpeg
    BEA41D87-DD66-420A-869F-6B3724508131.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 31
Need help, I don't know what's going on, I managed to install monterey on my sn850 and sometimes it freezes and restarts by itself, I get this kernel panic.

the problem was an adapter from m2 to pciex, changing everything fixed it.
B30BB013-6E7F-46A2-9C96-063F4CD437AD.jpeg

Last edited:
I´m trying to update my Asus X299 Prime a from big sur to Monterey and got stuck.

I attache my EFI & the crash log, hopefully someone has an idea ;)

Attachments

• opencore-2022-10-23-203209.txt
    256 KB · Views: 18
  • EFI.zip
    12.6 MB · Views: 33
I´m trying to update my Asus X299 Prime a from big sur to Monterey and got stuck.

I attache my EFI & the crash log, hopefully someone has an idea ;)
here a EFI I made for X299 Prime A II
hope this helps
I haven't much time to check your EFI, but XhciPortLimit Quirk shouldn't be checked if you have a USBmap Kext

Attachments

• X299 prime-A II OC074 MacOS 12.1.zip
    10.2 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Back