Contribute
Register

ASUS X299 Monterey/Ventura Support

I switched to MacPro7,1 some time ago.
Mainly because the MacPro7,1 system definition is closer to the actual X299 platform. Mainly in regard to the GPU (6800 XT in my case) which means you don't need whatevergreen any more.

But i needed to generate a new serial and this is never fun. ;-)

Heya Kub, would you please mind sharing your EFI for your ASRock X299E-ITX/ac ? I recently brought mine out of retirement but seem to be having some issues with Monterey and would love to compare.. :)

macOS Public Beta 12.3 finally adds Universal Control with iPadOS 15.4 and can confirm it works on my Hackintosh.

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 12.11.37.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 12.16.10.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 12.17.28.png

@quarkf Your setup is very similar to mine, would you share your EFI folder? I would like to compare to mine and see if I need to make some changes, USB mapping excluded... I'm curious if you are using whatevergreen in your setup.

Or reply to my thread, as to not hijack this one...

thx

Last edited:
Heya Kub, would you please mind sharing your EFI for your ASRock X299E-ITX/ac ? I recently brought mine out of retirement but seem to be having some issues with Monterey and would love to compare.. :)
Sure!

[EDIT] added the EFI with OpenCore 0.7.7

This EFI is based on OpenCore 0.7.6 and 0.7.7 and MacPo7,1 system definition, Apple WiFi card in the WiFi card slot on the board and a 6800 XT.
At this time it runs Monterey 12.2.

But i have to warn that macOS updates tend to be a bit funky since Monterey (with my EFI?).
At times it seems as if the computer is stuck at some boot-stage. If in doubt if it continues after some minutes, just switch it off and on the hard way with the power button. Usually it then boots just fine.

Notes:
- Platforminfo is anonymised and has to be filled with your own values
- HideAuxiliary is enabled, so not all partitions show up
- simple Bootpicker with indefinite timeout
- the SMC kexts for temps and stuff aren't activated
- custom USB mapping kext adjusted for MacPro7,1 system definition
- RestrictEvents.kext added to eleminate the RAM-warning on MacPro7,1 system definition
- CpuTscSync.kext is used instead of TSCAdjustReset.kext
- the Smalltree driver is not working anymore, so only one LAN port

Attachments

• EFI_OC_0.7.6.zip
    3 MB · Views: 54
  • EFI_OC_0.7.7.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
What a weekend

Friday my machine froze, had this weird feeling it was my RAM. So after 48 hours of memtest, I've concluded that one of my slots is gone on my Asus X299 Sage/10G ... wonderful. So now I have 112 GB of DDR 3200 in XMP.

So the computer runs way better than it did previously. Things open a lot faster and I'm very happy, except ...

In testing things I did my normal cinebench / unigine heaven benchmark while streaming to twitch. And it locked up on me (trackpad freezes/no click) and mouse is gone. I did a few NVRAM resets and it happened to varying degrees, and no log files which was annoying.

Finally after a few crashes (this isn't typical usage, but I want stability, so I'm investigating) .. I was able to get logs of what what happened and 2 things showed up.

• "macOSPanicString":"panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff801a3049ad): userspace watchdog timeout" and something I noticed came up a lot in my searching when this watchdog issue would happen:
  • "Kernel_2022-01-30-221829_xxxxx-iMac-Pro.gpuRestart" which is in-line with the Vega 64 stress test I was doing.

I don't know if this is related to the latest 12.2 update or not, and I know the card is getting ample cooling from its 3 fans (it's a Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 with 3 fans) and the 10980XE CPU max temp in my BIOS is set to 85 Celsius. The lowest I saw my processor get in terms of gigahertz was close to 4.1 so I don't think this had anything to do with the processor. It could be RAM, but seeing the gpuRestart log makes me doubt that.

To rule out the RAM entirely, I'm going to run memtest86 overnight and hopefully by the AM I don't see any errors after 4 passes.

I'm seriously leaning on this GPU being the death of me. I'm putting cash aside to buy an upgraded one and I can also RMA this one through my extended warranty. I'm trying to hold off replacing it for a few reasons, mainly work (I can use the Macbook Pro I have, but it crawls compared to this machine)

Just with this info does anybody think it could be GPU? (providing memtest passes overnight).

What a weekend...
Just with this info does anybody think it could be GPU? (providing memtest passes overnight).

In order of concern:

Power supply is glitching?

Thermals are a serious concern for your kit under load. You can run the CPU steady near 100C with no hazard, but its heat combined with heat from the board FETs that drive it can lead to RAM and GPU problems at full load. It can take a while, half-hour or more under load, for the heat load to build to critical for surrounding components, eg memory controller, RAM. Something that gets overlooked is proper case airflow beyond the CPU/GPU cooling. If memtest is passing but it's croaking under load, power+thermals are indicated. Just because the CPU temps are nominal doesn't mean other components aren't being stressed.

Do you have temp monitor for surrounding components?

Resetting BIOS and any OC config is worthwhile. Retrain if using Asus AI.

Backing off RAM from XMP rating by 200MHz is worth a try.

Re-seating all components and connectors, inc. CPU in its socket is worthwhile. Eye that everything is clean.

Something to keep in mind: Are you in northern hemisphere? Do you make adjustments to your kit and handle the parts without static-safe measures? Winter with very dry air can create static hazard conditions that wreck components, where other seasons / conditions present no problems. The designs tolerate a lot but aren't perfect about this.

It could also be bad luck re any component.

Re GPU reset in log, that seems like a significant clue, but not conclusive due to interdependencies.

Did you update macOS recently? I mention this because we are at a point where any updates from 12 on can wreck a config just as likely as improve it. There's no reason to expect that updates will fix anything anymore, because Intel HW that macOS is qualified upon is now becoming relatively ever more narrow compared with the wide spectrum of hackintosh 1-off configs. The generation gap is growing with every update.

Best regards

In order of concern:

Power supply is glitching?

Thermals are a serious concern for your kit under load. You can run the CPU steady near 100C with no hazard, but its heat combined with heat from the board FETs that drive it can lead to RAM and GPU problems at full load. It can take a while, half-hour or more under load, for the heat load to build to critical for surrounding components, eg memory controller, RAM. Something that gets overlooked is proper case airflow beyond the CPU/GPU cooling. If memtest is passing but it's croaking under load, power+thermals are indicated. Just because the CPU temps are nominal doesn't mean other components aren't being stressed.

Do you have temp monitor for surrounding components?

Resetting BIOS and any OC config is worthwhile. Retrain if using Asus AI.

Backing off RAM from XMP rating by 200MHz is worth a try.

Re-seating all components and connectors, inc. CPU in its socket is worthwhile. Eye that everything is clean.

Something to keep in mind: Are you in northern hemisphere? Do you make adjustments to your kit and handle the parts without static-safe measures? Winter with very dry air can create static hazard conditions that wreck components, where other seasons / conditions present no problems. The designs tolerate a lot but aren't perfect about this.

It could also be bad luck re any component.

Re GPU reset in log, that seems like a significant clue, but not conclusive due to interdependencies.

Did you update macOS recently? I mention this because we are at a point where any updates from 12 on can wreck a config just as likely as improve it. There's no reason to expect that updates will fix anything anymore, because Intel HW that macOS is qualified upon is now becoming relatively ever more narrow compared with the wide spectrum of hackintosh 1-off configs. The generation gap is growing with every update.

Best regards
So my PSU is a Seasonic Platinum 1300W. I picked it up last year as at full load I was drawing 730W from the wall and my Corsair 850w Gold wasn’t handling it well.

BIOS had been reset recently and I never use the ASUS AI (my BIOS mimics all of the @kgp settings from the Mojave X299 guide- except the Thunderbolt settings which have been taken from @djlild7hina via the GitHub page).

The reason I’m suspecting GPU is because before this RAM slot died, I was having issues getting a post with the GPU in previously. I had to do this insane workaround where I was flashing the BIOS with the card inserted then resetting the CMOS with the card removed just to get a post.

It was spitting code 62 with the VGA LED lit. But I finally got the computer up and running from resetting the CMOS repeatedly which is super annoying.

But then Friday, it froze while doing nothing intensive and wouldn’t come back. I noticed code bd and that’s a RAM issue. Downclocking booted it but I didn’t like the error so over the weekend I painstakingly tested all 8 sticks of RAM, one at a time.

They all passed, but when I went to put them all back in, no matter which stick it was, bank DIMM_B2 wouldn’t even register the stick being there. So I’m using 112 GB at the moment and it’s fine- even faster and more responsive than it was previously - which begs the question, how long has that slot been on its way out.

In terms of thermals, I have a Corsair H150i with 3 Noctua NF-12’s, 2 front Case fans and a rear case fan that are clean, all filters on this Fractal Design case are clean and I know it idles with everything closed around 31 Celsius and at load it doesn’t throttle terribly. So thermals and power draw are fine. The GPU even sits around 60 Celsius when loading it.

I don’t have any RAM temp monitoring.

In terms of handling equipment, I’m one of the few people who uses an anti-static strap because as annoying as it is, I don’t want to mess anything up. Need this machine to work lol

Given the GPURestart log and the issues I had getting the machine to post with it, I think I’m answering my own question but it’s still worth asking and I appreciate the time taken to respond. Almost done this memtest and so far no errors have come up. And I did start the test after that crash after a soft reboot.

Sounds like you are on the right track

X299 gigabyte motherboard panic/ mouse not moving
I tested 12.0/12.1/12.2
I don't know what reason.
Window 10 no panic.

@nmano Have you mapped your USB ports? Is your config.plist setup, have you followed the Dortania guide?

Back