Contribute
Register

ASUS X299 Monterey/Ventura Support

Nice and EZ Update
OpneCore 0.7.4

(Updates for now until the MacBook Pro arrives)
Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.30.30.png

Nice and EZ Update
OpneCore 0.7.4

(Updates for now until the MacBook Pro arrives)
View attachment 532010
Could be so kind to share your EFI folder. I’m having no luck getting past “PCI Configuration End” during reboot to choose language and setup the machine after install. Thank you.

Since Monterey, boot time os longer, it seems to have to do with thunderbolt.

and it seems that my soundcard thunderbolt soundcard is not recognized after a reboot, only on cold boots.

Hot plug still works though

@CaseySJ Have you tried Monterey, do you have any input/or would like to help me investigate this? :)

Attachments

• IMG_5675.jpg
    IMG_5675.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
Since Monterey, boot time os longer, it seems to have to do with thunderbolt.

and it seems that my soundcard thunderbolt soundcard is not recognized after a reboot, only on cold boots.

Hot plug still works though

@CaseySJ Have you tried Monterey, do you have any input/or would like to help me investigate this? :)
I have not had any boot slowdowns with Monterey even though all 5 of my Hackintoshes in my signature below have Thunderbolt.

However, a number of folks have reported longer boot times with Monterey.

To test your Thunderbolt theory, please try either (a) disabling Thunderbolt SSDT, or (b) disabling Thunderbolt in BIOS. Then reboot and check boot time.

** Experiencing Slow Boot Times in Monterey? **

Please try this and report your results:
  • In Terminal, type:
Bash:
log show --last boot | grep "trims took"
  • Give it a few seconds to run then press CTRL-C to stop.
  • Post the output.
Here's the result from my Z490 Vision D with release version of Monterey:
Code:
kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk3 scan took 1.913441 s, trims took 1.786507 s
kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk2 scan took 2.299866 s, trims took 2.262432 s
Note that both operations took less than 3 seconds.

** Experiencing Slow Boot Times in Monterey? **​

Code:
kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk4 scan took 2.123491 s, trims took 2.095338 s

Looks good for me.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ find below:

Disk6 is my boot disk, and it's a:
Samsung 970 Evo 1000GB M.2 2280 PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe)

I have NVMeFix.kext running

Here is video of whole boot process in realtime https://streamable.com/j0zrdz

2021-10-26 21:26:01.395686+0200 0x508 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk6 scan took 61.377320 s, trims took 60.993880 s

2021-10-26 21:26:14.464883+0200 0xd44 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk7 scan took 10.894260 s, trims took 10.809495 s

UPDATE:

Tried removing the SSDT with the result = No Difference
Tried removing SSDT and Disable TB in BIOS = No Difference
Tried Removing SSDT/Disable TB/And turn off my TB-Devices on boot = No Difference

On all steps above it still takes a LOONG break between the lines:
Thunderbolt DP - activation resolved - DPO
and
Ignoring kextcache invocation from early boot

I haven't tried removing the TB-Card or change PCIE ports though!

UPDATE2 : I saw your post from the Z390 thread, about the Samsung 970 Evo, so now i guess i know the cause.
I'll wait for Acidanthera to see if they find something. Otherwise i guess i just clone everything to my Intel NVME instead

Last edited:
Could be so kind to share your EFI folder. I’m having no luck getting past “PCI Configuration End” during reboot to choose language and setup the machine after install. Thank you.

Sorry saw your bug on github but I archived it since I'm not sure if I'll be updating it anymore but try changing SecureBootModel in the config.plist to Default.

SecureBootModel defaults changed in OC 0.7.2 I believe, so I set it to 'Disabled' in my Base-EFI since not everyone uses Big Sur or Monterey.

I've attached my BASE-EFI for OC 0.7.4 with SecureBootModel set to Enabled and verified it booted my system. With it disabled, I was stuck on PCI Configuration End

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.6 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Yeah I decided to cancel my order for now and wait for the new mac mini/pro. I dont think I'll like having to dock and undock my laptop all the time esp since I have 4 monitors :lol:

I was almost pulling the trigger again. On a M1 Max, but when i found out that apple is not supporting egpu on M1 at all, my whole workflow dies. I do heavy 3D and even if apple believes that their skinny chips will hold up to a 40x20cm gpu card, it doesnt. I mean why would it

The 32gb gpu is benchmarking similar as the nvidia 2060, which is nice on a fairly slim laptop. But if i would render a 1 minute long 3D video on that, with high resolution and high detail it would take weeks

Now i am frustrated and gonna go hackintosh for my life instead. Apple eco system maniacs.

I’ll probably change my mind later, but this is my current mood

Back