Contribute
Register

ASUS X299 Monterey/Ventura Support

The SmallTree driver is deprecated after a specific Monterey version it seems. Going to clone my install to an external SSD and attempt the update on there to see if SmallTree still works. But I got the MacOS warning about it and I’ve seen a few people say that the driver is dead moving forward.

Hmm that's worrying. The Sonnet driver hasn't been updated in a while either so it's probably the same

Post when I attempted the sonnet driver:

Hmm that's worrying. The Sonnet driver hasn't been updated in a while either so it's probably the same

I’m give it a shot tonight and report back. Work is insane today :crazy:

Ok so I carbon copy cloned the drive to my external SSD. Weird stuff. It all worked. Why did MacOS warn me repeatedly about the SmallTree drivers unless it’s still going to get deprecated?

Also, it warned me about my Universal Audio Apollo driver which confused me. Maybe there’s an update I’m unaware of.

Anyway, I went from 12.2 to 12.4 just using the software update button and after about an hour and 3 reboots it all worked. Going to run it off this USB drive for a few days and if all is well, I’ll update my internal NVME. I did all the Final Cut updates as well and they seem to be working fine.

So a hilarious update about my hack-from-hell ……

RMA’d my ASUS X299 Sage/10G - they elected to replace it. I install all the 128 gigs of Corsair Vengeance LPX (8 x 16 GB) booted up, did all the BIOS tweaks and enabled XMP at 3200 and booted up.

All worked………………… until I opened FCPX and went to export a project and it rebooted at random. So I figured out my PSU triggered a protection. (PSU is a Seasonic 1300W Platinum)

So - I start removing ALL my PCIE devices one at a time. And every time I go to export this project, it would just about to start and then reboot.

Last card left before I get to the new Sapphire Toxic Air 6900XT - a USB card I purchased to give myself a USB 2.0 header for my Gigabyte Titan Ridge. I pull it, everything worked. I actually had 2 separate adapters (one for my Fenvi Bluetooth PCIE adapter) and this one.

Finally was able to order an NZXT internal USB 2.0 hub which should arrive tomorrow. For now I’m on wired devices as I need Thunderbolt for projects (UA Apollo x4 needs Thunderbolt) but beyond that- it’s working!!! I was able to run Unigine Heaven and Cinebench for 12 hours on a second monitor - while doing display capture at 4K / 60 to Twitch and it ran without issue at all. I’ve done about 20 quick FCPX projects this morning and it’s amazing. I feel like I have Stockholm syndrome for computer issues because I feel “incomplete” at the moment. This has been an ordeal.

The reboot issue was happening about once a month since 2020 but it never really interfered with work so I never dove deep…. Until the machine stopped posting correctly. So for 2 years- this has probably been an issue and probably destroyed my old Vega 64 and my motherboard over time.

Now, something I’ve never bothered with as it used to just work is USB mapping. This board doesn’t seem to pick up all the ports (even though they all function in the bios) - and with all the iterations of boot loaders, is there a proper guide for the current OC implementation to properly map all my USB ports?

Grabbed my old usb map for the Sage/10G here. Going to see if I can RMA my Sage board and possibly hack it although I don't have a lot of motivation :lol:

Attachments

• USBMap-WS X299 Sage 10G.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 35
Grabbed my old usb map for the Sage/10G here. Going to see if I can RMA my Sage board and possibly hack it although I don't have a lot of motivation :lol:
So 2 things …

1. I’m opening this on a phone so I’ll experiment with it tomorrow - where do I drop this?

2. What’s wrong with your Sage/10G board??

So 2 things …

1. I’m opening this on a phone so I’ll experiment with it tomorrow - where do I drop this?

2. What’s wrong with your Sage/10G board??

Read the USB port. Basically in the kexts folder, enable in config.plist and disable XhciPortLimit. One of the ports in the kext is set to internal (255) so you can change it back to 3 (USB 3). I had my wifi card routed to one of the back USB ports.

Ethernet ports randomly die and stop working. Also front usb header is iffy and only one port works. It’s been sitting in my closet for a while though so figured I’d try to rma it before the warranty expires lol

I can't seem to find it, but I'd love the latest WS X299 Sage (not II, and not 10G) USB map working in Monterey…

Pretty thanks!

I can't seem to find it, but I'd love the latest WS X299 Sage (not II, and not 10G) USB map working in Monterey…

Pretty thanks!

The original Sage and Sage II have the same ports/location so the Sage II kext should work. If not you'll have to make your own

Hi all, trying to upgrade from big sur 11.6.6 to monterrey 12.4 and getting this kernel panic. I use opencore 0.8, updated kexts and I don't know where this error comes from?

Is there an option in opencore that has to be configured for monterey?

my machine is 7900x - asus tuf mark1 - 5700xt

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
The original Sage and Sage II have the same ports/location so the Sage II kext should work. If not you'll have to make your own
As per rules, please update your hardware profile
Hi all, trying to upgrade from big sur 11.6.6 to monterrey 12.4 and getting this kernel panic. I use opencore 0.8, updated kexts and I don't know where this error comes from?

Is there an option in opencore that has to be configured for monterey?

my machine is 7900x - asus tuf mark1 - 5700xt

Thanks in advance
probably best to zip and upload your EFI

Back