Contribute
Register

ASUS X299 Monterey/Ventura Support

So you should not need SSDT-CPU-WRAP or SSDT-PLUG-ALT; just keep using the regular SSDT-PLUG.

No one has any idea?

Happy Sunday everyone!

I'm in a precarious position and am wondering if I can get some assistance this week LOL (this won't be easy).

@djlild7hina & @Loloflatsix may remember me from the Asus X299 support thread, but I'm coming here as this is more applicable. I'm running an Asus X299 Sage 10G on Mojave and Clover right now, but it seems like my Vega 64 is on its last legs. (Work required a 32 bit app which only yesterday finally has a great replacement that's 64 bit).

Luckily for me, it boots and I can use the computer for long stretches, but then it dies and I get do the CMOS flash / BIOS reset dance while trying to clear Code 62 from my board. If I use a loaner Vega 64 (same model), it stays on and stable for months.

Also luckily for me, I have extended warranty and the store agreed to replace the GPU, but it won't be a Vega 64, it could be a 6700 XT or higher, which means I have to get out of the Mojave world. This is why I'm here. I have this install cloned to an external SSD which boots perfectly fine, so I can destroy my main drive and try to get Monterey running (which runs really well on my 2020 i9 Macbook Pro). I know a clean install would be better, but I have too many apps and settings that won't back up their preferences correctly that I know run on Monterey as of the versions installed, so I'd prefer to upgrade things. I'd like to do all the Monterey stuff before the GPU is sent in so that way I can (hopefully) just install the new card and boot up. Here's what I believe I need to do:

- Clean out my EFI / config.plist (it's most likely a complete disaster)
- Move my Clover bootloader into OpenCore
- Make sure all things are working
- Upgrade to Monterey
- Make sure all things are working (stress tests etc), once confirmed, back the install up to another SSD.

I've had some interesting issues w/ Clover (including the EFI partition just randomly getting corrupt and having to rebuild it which is super annoying & also Thunderbolt works, but getting it there was hit and miss). And I hear this is all easier on OC.

So, where do I start on cleaning up my EFI / conflig.plist file? I don't want to post it here unless someone request I do. I really appreciate all the help this forum has given me over the years and years. But I also don't do this enough and when I looked up the Dortania guide on migrating, it got really complicated really fast. So baby steps if you can LOL. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Happy Sunday everyone!

I'm in a precarious position and am wondering if I can get some assistance this week LOL (this won't be easy).

@djlild7hina & @Loloflatsix may remember me from the Asus X299 support thread, but I'm coming here as this is more applicable. I'm running an Asus X299 Sage 10G on Mojave and Clover right now, but it seems like my Vega 64 is on its last legs. (Work required a 32 bit app which only yesterday finally has a great replacement that's 64 bit).

Luckily for me, it boots and I can use the computer for long stretches, but then it dies and I get do the CMOS flash / BIOS reset dance while trying to clear Code 62 from my board. If I use a loaner Vega 64 (same model), it stays on and stable for months.

Also luckily for me, I have extended warranty and the store agreed to replace the GPU, but it won't be a Vega 64, it could be a 6700 XT or higher, which means I have to get out of the Mojave world. This is why I'm here. I have this install cloned to an external SSD which boots perfectly fine, so I can destroy my main drive and try to get Monterey running (which runs really well on my 2020 i9 Macbook Pro). I know a clean install would be better, but I have too many apps and settings that won't back up their preferences correctly that I know run on Monterey as of the versions installed, so I'd prefer to upgrade things. I'd like to do all the Monterey stuff before the GPU is sent in so that way I can (hopefully) just install the new card and boot up. Here's what I believe I need to do:

- Clean out my EFI / config.plist (it's most likely a complete disaster)
- Move my Clover bootloader into OpenCore
- Make sure all things are working
- Upgrade to Monterey
- Make sure all things are working (stress tests etc), once confirmed, back the install up to another SSD.

I've had some interesting issues w/ Clover (including the EFI partition just randomly getting corrupt and having to rebuild it which is super annoying & also Thunderbolt works, but getting it there was hit and miss). And I hear this is all easier on OC.

So, where do I start on cleaning up my EFI / conflig.plist file? I don't want to post it here unless someone request I do. I really appreciate all the help this forum has given me over the years and years. But I also don't do this enough and when I looked up the Dortania guide on migrating, it got really complicated really fast. So baby steps if you can LOL. Thanks in advance.
Just don't buy a 6700 card, it's not supported! You need a 6800 (XT) or 6900 XT

Starting from @djlild7hina EFI folder and customize it to your needs should be a straightforward easy task mate! Feel free to ask.

Just don't buy a 6700 card, it's not supported! You need a 6800 (XT) or 6900 XT

Starting from @djlild7hina EFI folder and customize it to your needs should be a straightforward easy task mate! Feel free to ask.
So as long as these new 64 bit apps work fine for my work duties today on my Macbook Pro running Monterey, I think I'm going to start this process tonight and see how far I can get.

Thanks for the heads up about the 6700! They explained because I have extended warranty that I will have a choice of card and if it doesn't meet my needs, they'll have pricing for me to upgrade beyond that. But with the shortages, and their head office, this could take a month.

So wait I can do this to migrate my current Clover install?
I super strongly suggest you to don't migrate Clover to OC, just build a OC EFI from scratch. Actually I think even CLover is compatible with Monterey now but can't help on it since I'm on OC since... don't know... 2 years?!

I super strongly suggest you to don't migrate Clover to OC, just build a OC EFI from scratch. Actually I think even CLover is compatible with Monterey now but can't help on it since I'm on OC since... don't know... 2 years?!
So build the EFI from scratch but my installation (could) be ok right?

I’m trying everything in the world to keep this as is. It runs Mojave perfectly.

That being said, today on Monterey on my MacBook was perfect. Everything I needed worked flawlessly, so if I understand what you’re saying:

- Build the OC EFI for Mojave from scratch.
- Make sure all things work (Thunderbolt/Bluetooth etc)
- Once complete, use system preferences to update to Monterey.

I can use my current serial number and system definition right?

You don't need to pass from Mojave to Monterey, just build a OC EFI for your hardware + monterey with latest OpenCore and install Monterey directly. Once done you can load a time machine backup or transfer your data from another mac. You could definitely use your SMBIOS data (serial etc...).

Edit: I haven't understood well, you meant you want to update an existing Mojave installation to Monterey. Well... I'm still suggesting to backup data in any case and install from scratch. Something can go wrong in any moment so in any case you'll need a backup, and a fresh clean install is always better. Even more, I don't know if a Monterey EFI can actually boot Mojave at this point (I suppose yes but, who cares... )

Well... I'm still suggesting to backup data in any case and install from scratch. Something can go wrong in any moment so in any case you'll need a backup, and a fresh clean install is always better. Even more, I don't know if a Monterey EFI can actually boot Mojave at this point (I suppose yes but, who cares... )
I cloned my Clover / Mojave install to an external SSD which is bootable. So if things go wrong, I can restore it.

Believe me, I’d prefer to do a clean install, but some of these apps took weeks to set custom preferences which I can’t back up in any manner. So I’m hoping I can upgrade Mojave to Monterey.

Side note, I blame work. We should have actively explored the 64 bit transition years and years ago.

So…….. what’s the least painful way to move my current Clover install to OC? I have Thunderbolt SSDTs and other things from the original @kgp guide.

Back