Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dithaack not sure if you've attempted this but do you still experience the bios code without any thunderbolt devices connected? I can boot with two cards just fine. I only have one thunderbolt dock to test with though. I've tried a new dock and it seems like display out (not pass through) doesn't work. The screen just stays black so might be missing something...

@dithaack not sure if you've attempted this but do you still experience the bios code without any thunderbolt devices connected? I can boot with two cards just fine. I only have one thunderbolt dock to test with though. I've tried a new dock and it seems like display out (not pass through) doesn't work. The screen just stays black so might be missing something...
@djlild7hina ah, so the dock is definitely working except for display? Try in windows by chance or another computer? Sadly I don't use DP usually and I don't even have a cable. I'll grab one next time I order something and test my dock's DP out.

Yes, I can boot fine usually (1 or 2 cards) as long as there are no TB devices plugged in. But it seems like I lose hot plug if I deviate from the normal BIOS enabled/TB header/RP05 route. Jumping pins/disable BIOS, different PC0_ numbers, etc is where it goes bad. Usually that way I am able to cold boot with devices plugged in, but they tend to not show up, and if I do the required reboot I can't get past the code.

Also, I realize this issue has been ongoing, let me know if you'd rather start a new thread-- Thanks!

@djlild7hina ah, so the dock is definitely working except for display? Try in windows by chance or another computer? Sadly I don't use DP usually and I don't even have a cable. I'll grab one next time I order something and test my dock's DP out.

Yes, I can boot fine usually (1 or 2 cards) as long as there are no TB devices plugged in. But it seems like I lose hot plug if I deviate from the normal BIOS enabled/TB header/RP05 route. Jumping pins/disable BIOS, different PC0_ numbers, etc is where it goes bad. Usually that way I am able to cold boot with devices plugged in, but they tend to not show up, and if I do the required reboot I can't get past the code.

Also, I realize this issue has been ongoing, let me know if you'd rather start a new thread-- Thanks!

Works on another comp so think it’s an issue with flashed/ssdt
Yeah you could go ahead and start another thread. On flashed bios it needs a reboot for drivers to install but I guess that’s where your issue comes from. Wonder if it’s best to stick with one card in Rp05 with bios settings enabled. Then add a second card with jumper method

Works on another comp so think it’s an issue with flashed/ssdt
Yeah you could go ahead and start another thread. On flashed bios it needs a reboot for drivers to install but I guess that’s where your issue comes from. Wonder if it’s best to stick with one card in Rp05 with bios settings enabled. Then add a second card with jumper method
Just started another thread for this Titan Ridge issue to spare the others :lol:. Thanks for your patience!

Been noticing people are asking for EFIs so I made some updates to my Base-EFI. More info can be found in this post.

@InsomnIaHackintosh
Hey sorry for the delay, now that I have Thunderbolt devices back (in one slot at least) I can get to some footage.
I ran Geekbench 5 and it looks like Metal came out right around the average for this card (55000), but Open CL only came out around 50000, compared to the Open CL Benchmarks on the site of around 68000. I'm not sure why mine is so low.
Overall I feel the WX 8200 is solid. I haven't noticed any serious glitches or lagging. I should point out I'm new to hacking and when I was trying Clover I had a lot of black screen issues that I suspected were GPU related. Now that I'm using Opencore the only black screen issue is trying to use 2 Titan Ridges (the board only supports 1). I'm not even sure that's a GPU issue.
Regarding footage, I can play 4k ArriRaw 23.98 no problem, Red 8K 6:1, and H.264 work too. For editing software I only use Resolve really, so I wouldn't be much help with Premiere. I know you said you're sticking to the 5700XT but let me know if there are any specific tests you need in Resolve.
Too bad to hear the Radeon VII didn't work well with Resolve- that's one I've been considering.

Thanks a lot dithaack for sharing the info!

It's interesting, I was just curious what a pro graphic card can bring to the table to justify the price.

I think for Davinci R VII would perform good apart from h264, h265 footage. It's a common driver issue that gives you artefacts on the playback. Prores, R3D & Arri Raw, Blackmagic Raw should perform good but still it's a pro version of vega 56. I would suggest maybe wait for the RDNA2 card coming this year. That one should compete with the 2080ti and above, will be a real powerful card. Also there's WWDC approaching later this month so they should reveal what' new on their table for 10.16 OS.

If curious, having the 5700XT (50 Anniversary) has it's Geekbech results, scoring a bit above the the WX 8200. Testing R3D footage samples in 8k from their website, they all hit real time playback as well as 4k ArriRaw. It's getting there $ - power. There is a downside tho, the are some lags appearing that some got corrected, for example playing a youtube moving the pointer it would lag(on chrome only). I recently switched from MacPro 7,1 to iMacPro 1,1 smbios and that problem got fixed. There is another lag still there when for example the screensaver comes on and having to prompt the password, there is a lag there. I'm not sure how that can be fixed. Apart from that so far everything runs smooth.

I suppose if you get the new RDNA2 with the current WX 8200 you will have loads of horse power in terms of GPU for DIT-ing anything :)

Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-17 at 12.22.59.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-17 at 12.22.59.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot 2020-06-17 at 12.24.05.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-17 at 12.24.05.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 65
Thanks a lot dithaack for sharing the info!

It's interesting, I was just curious what a pro graphic card can bring to the table to justify the price.

I think for Davinci R VII would perform good apart from h264, h265 footage. It's a common driver issue that gives you artefacts on the playback. Prores, R3D & Arri Raw, Blackmagic Raw should perform good but still it's a pro version of vega 56. I would suggest maybe wait for the RDNA2 card coming this year. That one should compete with the 2080ti and above, will be a real powerful card. Also there's WWDC approaching later this month so they should reveal what' new on their table for 10.16 OS.

If curious, having the 5700XT (50 Anniversary) has it's Geekbech results, scoring a bit above the the WX 8200. Testing R3D footage samples in 8k from their website, they all hit real time playback as well as 4k ArriRaw. It's getting there $ - power. There is a downside tho, the are some lags appearing that some got corrected, for example playing a youtube moving the pointer it would lag(on chrome only). I recently switched from MacPro 7,1 to iMacPro 1,1 smbios and that problem got fixed. There is another lag still there when for example the screensaver comes on and having to prompt the password, there is a lag there. I'm not sure how that can be fixed. Apart from that so far everything runs smooth.

I suppose if you get the new RDNA2 with the current WX 8200 you will have loads of horse power in terms of GPU for DIT-ing anything :)

Cheers!
Great, thanks for sharing too. Also now that I've compared to an RX 580, I can see the the build quality of the WX 8200 is much better and heavier, and it's a very long card, but I'm feeling overpriced. But my black screen problems are not the GPU I've found.

But yes, looking forward to RDNA2 and if my work comes back I hope to get something!

I've updated post 1 with important sections of my github so hopefully it's clearer on where to start with OpenCore or fix issues with booting on newer boards/BIOS. Also has suggestions on connecting internal usb devices when none are available.

I've updated post 1 with important sections of my github so hopefully it's clearer on where to start with OpenCore or fix issues with booting on newer boards/BIOS. Also has suggestions on connecting internal usb devices when none are available.
A question...domyou use thunderbolt 3 with opencore? If yes, is ir working? I tried several configurations with OC but thunderbolt doesn’t work. With clover i’ve no problem....

A question...domyou use thunderbolt 3 with opencore? If yes, is ir working? I tried several configurations with OC but thunderbolt doesn’t work. With clover i’ve no problem....

Yes thunderbolt works. Are you sure the SSDT is loaded properly? I have two thunderbolt cards with custom firmware to enable thunderbolt bus and local node like a real mac. Check out CaseySJs thread for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back