Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! To everyone who has / had a 9980XE, what CPU Type code you use / Used ? I don’t know if mine is OK related to Mac Pro 7,1 SMBIOS

Update

i9-10900X
X299
KINGSTON DDR4 64GB
RX-5700-XT
macOS Catalina 10.15.2

Nice! Looks like good news for those looking for a cascade lake x cpu. Just issues with the new motherboard refresh/bios

Update

i9-10900X
X299
KINGSTON DDR4 64GB
RX-5700-XT
macOS Catalina 10.15.2
HI @engineer.sek, I have a very similar build with a 10920x and single 5700xt. I'm having issues booting installer w/ clover config in this post. Can you please share your EFI folder?

Hello folks, I have been reading your posts about Asus x299 for months and I'm still looking for an exhaustive guide on this argument. I guess it's not expected in all this Forum although I don't know why... at least a buyer's guide :)
Whoever has a good and kind heart could help me likely for a stable version of X299 with ASUS Sage 10, a compatible GPU and noiseless bundle. I don't have any company and I cannot afford such a big wallet flush from Apple. :)
Happy 2020 to all of you!

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help me? I recently upgraded my system from a GTX 1080 Ti to a Radeon VII in order to update to Catalina. I've been able to get it updated to Mojave without issue, but it locks up during boot when trying to install Catalina. This includes both a fresh install as well as updating from Mojave. In case there's an issue with my profile, I'm on an ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe and an XFX Radeon VII. I also tried the open core EFI folder and the results were similar. Any assistance on this would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    40.6 MB · Views: 269
Hi, wondering if anyone would be able to help me? I recently upgraded my system from a gtx 1080ti to a radeon vii in order to update to Catalina. I've been able to get it updated to Mojave without issue, but it locks up during boot when trying to install Catalina. This includes both a fresh install as well as updating from Mojave. In case there's an issue with my profile, I'm on an ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe and an XFX Radeon VII. I also tried the open core efi folder and the results were similar. Any assistance on this would be very much appreciated.
An idea : Try to disable TSCAdjustReset.kext during the update or Catalina install. No sure it helps

Update

i9-10900X
X299
KINGSTON DDR4 64GB
RX-5700-XT
macOS Catalina 10.15.2
Hi,

How's the ASRock Extreme4 going?
Did you have to add any particular patch to make it work? Sometimes ASRock BIOS needs some RTC patch.
What clock are you running the CPU?

Thanks for your help.

Hi all,

I really need help with installing Catalina on my iHack Pro (specs detailed below).

I've been using macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra on my iHac Pro for a 1 and 1/2 years now using Clover.

The main use for it is Audio engineering (mixing/mastering), but I occasionally need it for software development which is the reason I've been now forced to attempt to upgrade to Catalina (10.15).

When I initially built my iHack Pro, the setup and installation of the High Sierra went relatively ok without major roadblocks. The version of Clover used then was 4625.

I read many posts online about many people successfully upgraded to Catalina via AppStore so I gave it a shot, alas unsuccessfully. So then I decided that I'll just create a full bootable USB Catalina + Clover Installer and I'll just install Catalina on a different physical PCIe M.2 SSD in my machine.

Unlike a year and 1/2 ago, this time I am unable to create the bootable USB installer let alone install the macOS.
The issue I'm hitting is when trying to boot into the created bootable USB Catalina installer it immediately bombs with a message:
AMF: No slide values are usable! Falling back to 0 with 0x0D902000 bytes!
Error allocating 0x12875 pages at 0x000000000481f000 alloc type 2
Couldn't allocate runtime area
Boot failed; will sleep 10 seconds before exiting...

I've attached my entire EFI folder (mock serials).

It's worth noting that I tried various "solutions" from other posts including swapping out all variations of Memory fixes with slight variations of the same issue. I even tried to work out the slide value based on the "memmap" command from UEFI shell but couldn't use it as the 1st sufficiently large block available was reported at 0x100,000,000 which would yield a very high unsupported value.

What's even more bizarre is that after failing with creating the Catalina installer I decided to recreate the High Sierra installer from the same files and Guide as I did 1 and ½ years ago but ended up having exactly the same issues so I think I must be doing something wrong this time round. :(

I've tried everything I found online and I could think of and I've hit the absolute dead end so this forum is my only hope.

The machine is a fairly straight forward:
ASUS x299 Prime Deluxe (BIOS v1301) with CPU i9-7980XE.​
ASUS RX Vega 64 in the 1st PCIe slot.​
I wouldn't think it's much relevant but just in case, I use 2 displays:
- LG 38UC99-W (connected via DP)
- old DELL 24" 2405FPW (via DVI)

Wifi and Bluetooth disabled in BIOS and no additional Wifi/Bluetooth card installed.

I use 2x PCIe M.2 SSDs as boot drives and then a bunch of additional SATA drives (SSDs and old school HDDs) using up all SATA ports.
This has been working reasonably well with High Sierra.

Any audio interfacing (output only) is done via USB 2.0.

My approach with creating a bootable USB Catalina Installer has been to follow the KGP's Guide for Mojave but used the EFI files for Catalina downloaded from github, "EFI-X299-10.15-iMacPro1,1-101019.zip" which contains Clover 5901.

Any help that would help me resolve the problems and get Catalina going on my Hack Pro would be immensely appreciated.

If I accidentally omitted any info or files please let me know and I'll provide it ASAP.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: just to clarify, the attached EFI is a copy of what I put on the USB Flash drive.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    34.1 MB · Views: 235
Last edited:
For Catalina you need to add an SSDT-EC.aml to your clover/ACPI/Patched directory.
Thank you, that did the trick. How were you able to figure that out? Is it on one of the 60 pages of this guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back