Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 1.40.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 2.01.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 11.33.19 PM.png

Someone needs to figure out a way to get rid of that memory error & notification on the Mac Pro 7,1 SMBIOS, or at least force macOS to see the RAM correctly. At the moment there is no way to hide the alert in System Pref > Notifications.

Interestingly enough it does see 8 slots on the X299. On the real Mac Pro it shows this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 5.47.44 PM.png

Nice to see that memory is showing up in System Preferences on your installation. I have a ASUS C422 board and tried the MacPro7,1 SMBIOs but can't see anything about memory in System Preferences at all on Catalina 10.15.2. Don't even have the Memory tab showing up.
Any clue?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 13.25.42.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 13.25.42.png
    87 KB · Views: 89
Hey guys.

I tried SMBIOS MacPro7,1 today. Everything runs very well except system will pop-up memory error warning while login.

Memory Modules Misconfigured

I am using OpenCore. Anyone know how to solve this issue?

Thanks.
Hi! I have the same motherboard and CPU as you, but, no matter what I try, I can't get to installation. I am stuck at ++++++++
Can you please help? Thanks.

So I got my Pro Display XDR today and am trying it out. Initial tech hurdle is that MacOS Mojave sees it as two separate 4k displays. I have the Titan Ridge card with both DisplayPort adapters going from my Vega FE to the Titan Ridge Card.

Going to try and upgrade to Catalina to see if it is properly recognized. Color wise it looks great. Initial eyeball reaction is that it feels very much like the LG Oled series. I have a calibrated LG Oled for my client reference monitor and out of the box, the image quality is quite similar.

EDIT: I've tried out the AMDGraphicsFixup.kext and newest WEG and Lilu, no dice. Hoping Catalina solves this...

Last edited:
So I got my Pro Display XDR today and am trying it out. Initial tech hurdle is that MacOS Mojave sees it as two separate 4k displays. I have the Titan Ridge card with both DisplayPort adapters going from my Vega FE to the Titan Ridge Card.

Going to try and upgrade to Catalina to see if it is properly recognized. Color wise it looks great. Initial eyeball reaction is that it feels very much like the LG Oled series. I have a calibrated LG Oled for my client reference monitor and out of the box, the image quality is quite similar.

EDIT: I've tried out the AMDGraphicsFixup.kext and newest WEG and Lilu, no dice. Hoping Catalina solves this...

Most likely will need Catalina with this display. It may even require an official Mac for the display to work too (but not sure about this one).

Congrats on getting it!

Most likely will need Catalina with this display. Congrats on getting it!

Thanks! It looks stunning, both picture quality and wow factor in our suite. So I updated to Catalina and it was still seeing the display as two displays, but I added this boot WEG argument: agdpmod=pikera. That got MacOS to recognize the Pro Display as a single monitor...but only at 5K...

EDIT: Thinking now this may be a limitation of the iMac Pro SMBIOS. Going to try the Mac Pro SMBIOS...
Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 4.21.26 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks! It looks stunning, both picture quality and wow factor in our suite. So I updated to Catalina and it was still seeing the display as two displays, but I added this boot WEG argument: agdpmod=pikera. That got MacOS to recognize the Pro Display as a single monitor...but only at 5K...

View attachment 442740

That's odd.

Can you go to System Pref > Display > hold Opt on keyboard > click Scaled and check "Show low res modes" and do you see a 6k option?

Apple may be muxing for 6k resolution because most likely it's not a "standard" yet. This is how they used to do to get 5k on their iMacs, they would mux 2 streams together to get 5k. Now its a standard.

6k is a lot of data to push through Thunderbolt. But in your case its going from DP passthrough > Thunderbolt > Thunderbolt XDR Display.

It may require a real Mac unfortunately to reach 6k at 10bit.

If you look at DisplayPort 1.4 specs, it supports up to 5k in 10bit, and 8k in 8bit. The XDR display is most likely a real 10bit display so you're capped at 5k. I bet if you lower the Hz to lower than 60Hz it will support 6k? Give it a shot.

Last edited:
That's odd.

Can you go to System Pref > Display > hold Opt on keyboard > click Scaled and check "Show low res modes" and do you see a 6k option?

Apple may be muxing for 6k resolution because most likely it's not a "standard" yet. This is how they used to do to get 5k on their iMacs, they would mux 2 streams together to get 5k. Now its a standard.

6k is a lot of data to push through Thunderbolt. But in your case its going from DP passthrough > Thunderbolt > Thunderbolt XDR Display.

It may require a real Mac unfortunately to reach 6k at 10bit.

If you look at DisplayPort 1.4 specs, it supports up to 5k in 10bit, and 8k in 8bit. The XDR display is most likely a real 10bit display so you're capped at 5k. I bet if you lower the Hz to lower than 60Hz it will support 6k? Give it a shot.

No 6k options when set to "Show Low res modes." All that makes sense. I am going to try the Mac Pro SMBIOS, since a real iMac Pro is limited to 5K due to the Alpine Ridge TB controller used in real iMac Pros...

No 6k options when set to "Show Low res modes." All that makes sense. I am going to try the Mac Pro SMBIOS, since a real iMac Pro is limited to 5K due to the Alpine Ridge TB controller used in real iMac Pros...

Can you try at 30Hz and see if 6k shows up? That will confirm what I was thinking. 30Hz in general is unusable day to day, but worth a shot to see. To change to 30Hz go to Displays again and hold Option and click Scaled and "Show resolutions" and you will see a Hz drop down menu.

Also give Mac Pro SMBIOS a shot.

Apple may be using Titan Ridge chipset, but they're muxing streams and pushing through the Thunderbolt stream. 6k is much much more data than a single stream of 5k, it's not just an extra 1,000 pixels...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back