Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
more than happy to be wrong!! Glad I asked. I see it’s really only for exporting, which makes tons of sense - We are running an editing bay in the office with 9900k and a Radeon 7 - exporting 6k video. This’ll save us some time!

thanks for replying!

It also helps with editing on the TimeLine
When I play video then one card works
But when effect or transition, titles, etc.
So the second card handles it

This means that the playback is much better in complex projects without rendering

If you look at previous posts I had dual Radeon VII

Now I've replaced one VII at rx 5700 xt

Because the rx 5700 xt h264 \ 5 encoders are much better

cf96IBWB2r9zYZ25.jpg

This means that the playback is much better in complex projects without rendering

View attachment 442497

I wonder if it's worth waiting for the "Big" Navi, which might do better than Radeon VIIs compute? Apparently they are going to announce it in January at CES.

Would be nice to get a RTX 2080 Ti level AMD card in macOS so it will just be one card. :thumbup:

I wonder if it's worth waiting for the "Big" Navi, which might do better than Radeon VIIs compute? Apparently they are going to announce it in January at CES.

Would be nice to get a RTX2080Ti level AMD card in macOS so it will just be one card. :thumbup:

I also planned to wait
Not just for "navi 2"
These also see the actual use of the hardware by Apple
Currently the hardware exists but the drivers are missing
Or the Final Cut Pro will implement the hardware

But, someone sold this card for 50% off
New in box, not yet opened

So I had to take it
It's really a steal
ecf42738-f6a8-4540-9279-118cc8324d0f.jpg

You've been incredibly helpful here! Thanks so much for responding.

I'm the CEO of a 16 person app dev and marketing house... we have a 6 person editing and production team (Stole ALL of them for movie production...)... we're the people Apple expects to pay $20-$40k for a sub par Mac Pro - we've struggled since none of our editors want to use Windows, our CTO doesn't want to support Windows, etc. Sadly, our CTO and his team have no experience with hackintosh - neither do the editors. So I'm in charge of the production crews and getting them what they need to get stuff out the door asap - money *is* and issue, but less so than time - so we can afford several rigs with Radeon VII's in them - however, I don't want to do this again in 6 months, since I've got other things on my plate and spending the holidays building these wasn't really what I wanted for my life :-D

With that said, Ive been building a few heavy-duty, render and export only, editing bays for our 6 person editing team. Everyone else is using a i7 iMacs.

Super not happy about spending time on this, and super not happy about supporting hackintoshes... and super not happy that the future for us sure does look like Windows, etc

TMI - I've spent about 30 hours building two machines that are equivalent to $10,099 Mac Pros in performance. I would need to make close to $600 an hour for it to no longer be worth my time to build these machines. That economy of scale makes no sense to me - I guess when apple says "Pro" they mean - 1) Youtube stars who get them for free or 2) Colorist or post-production houses for Hollywood. The use cases are so few and far between, seemingly.

Last edited:

I'm the CEO of a 16 person production house... the people apple expects to pay $20-$40k for a sub par Mac Pro - we've struggled since none of our edits want to use windows, our CTO doesn't want to support windows, etc. Sadly, our CTO and his team have no experience with video editing, or hackintosh, and it was my background for almost a decade in corporate production work.

With that said, Ive been building a few heavy-duty, render and export only, editing bays for our 6 person editing team. Everyone else is using a i7 iMacs.

Super not happy about spending time on this, and super not happy about supporting hackintoshes... and super not happy that the future for us sure does look like Windows, etc

TMI - Ive spent about 30 hours building two machines that are equivalent to $10,099 Mac Pros in performance. I would need to make close to $600 an hour for it to no longer be worth my time to build these machines...

It incredibly doesn't make sense to use Hackintoshes in production environments. Too many variables to go wrong.

You're better off getting the 2019 i9 iMacs with 8 cores, upgrade the SSD and max out the GPU. Or get refurb (direct from Apple) iMac Pros.

The only reason I am still Hackintoshing is because it's my home workstation, every studio I go to its all Macs and dont have to worry about troubleshooting.

It incredibly doesn't make sense to use Hackintoshes in production environments. Too many variables to go wrong.

I dont think you're wrong - but these are export and render machines only, I forgot to mention that - we're less hamstrung if one goes down. I also forgot to mention that we *have* been using an i9 9900 and a Radeon 7 for the last 6 months with no issue. I plan on this getting us through a shorter stint and then I'll re-evaluate.

Even the $2200 builds we have are well out-performing the iMac Pros.

I dont think you're wrong - but these are export and render machines only, I forgot to mention that - we're less hamstrung if one goes down. I also forgot to mention that we *have* been using an i9 9900 and a Radeon 7 for the last 6 months with no issue. I plan on this getting us through a shorter stint and then I'll re-evaluate.

Even the $2200 builds we have are well out-performing the iMac Pros.

I am just saying as a business owner, I would rather get a loan for my company than deal with custom PCs.

Time is more important than saving money. And time is money in the end.

Is the new Mac Pro "overpriced"? Somewhat, if you are a small production house. But these machines are supposed to last for many years and there is residual value to them and they pay for themselves in the long run.

You can easily get a bunch of base Mac Pros and upgrade them over time. Throw in a Radeon VII and upgrade the CPU/RAM later.

My point being, I have spent hundreds of hours on this thing and see it more as a side hobby thats attached to my daily routines.

Will something go wrong with your machines? Undoubtedly. Will it happen today or tomorrow? Who knows.

I am just saying as a business owner, I would rather get a loan for my company than deal with custom PCs.

Well now we're into business strategy! I actually don't agree that the Mac Pros are very future proof or economical, but not something I'm here to argue.

No one we know in coloring or post production arestill using Macs anymore, unless, again they're still in full-blown production work and $20-$40k is the monthly catering bill - they're all back to windows - ESP for colorists, which, I'm 90% sure is where we'll end up for post and exports by the end of the years - it's a bit of an internal debate as you'd have two sets of production files for Adobe CC.

Nonetheless, I don't necessarily disagree with your thoughts on this - so don't hear it that way.

Def. appreciate the dialogue!

I'm the CEO of a 16 person app dev and marketing house... we have a 6 person editing and production team (Stole ALL of them for movie production...)... we're the people apple expects to pay $20-$40k for a sub par Mac Pro - we've struggled since none of our editors want to use windows, our CTO doesn't want to support windows, etc. Sadly, our CTO and his team have no experience with hackintosh - neither do the editors. So I'm in charge of the production crews and getting them what they need to get stuff out the door asap - money *is* and issue, but less so than time - so we can afford several rigs with Radeon vii's in them - however, I dont want to do this again in 6 months, since I've got other things on my plate and spending the holidays building these wasn't really what I wanted for my life :-D

TMI - Ive spent about 30 hours building two machines that are equivalent to $10,099 Mac Pros in performance. I would need to make close to $600 an hour for it to no longer be worth my time to build these machines...

I really understand you

I make video edits of weddings
I have one manager who is also an editor and 4 video editors

My hardest problem in the business was the maintenance of computers

So, for everyone, I purchased Macs
For the manager, 8 core iMac Pro
And for the editors 2017 iMac i7

So I don't break my head anymore about computer maintenance

Only for myself I always try the newer and better stuff

This is not necessarily a good thing!

If I were to buy 18 core iMac Pro for myself in 2018 (When I purchased all Macs for my editors)
I would save dozens of hours and thousands of dollars
But I also kinda like it! So it's fine :)

I really understand you

I make video edits of weddings
I have one manager who is also an editor and 4 video editors

My hardest problem in the business was the maintenance of computers

So, for everyone, I purchased Macs
For the manager, 8 core iMac Pro
And for the editors 2017 iMac i7

So I don't break my head anymore about computer maintenance

Only for myself I always try the newer and better stuff

This is not necessarily a good thing!

If I were to buy 18 core iMac Pro for myself in 2018 (When I purchased all Macs for my editors)
I would save dozens of hours and thousands of dollars
But I also kinda like it! So it's fine :)

Exactly, the editors are all using i7 iMacs w/ external GPUs, as editing in 1/8th resolution isn't problematic. We also shoot in codecs that don't require proxies, etc - so the editing is not the problem - it's having people sitting there waiting on something to export that's the problem - So I'm happy to take a flier on a few hackintoshes that we can have sitting there churning.

I **suspect** those will be running windows by EOY :-D as they'd be the only windows machines in the office and if we run into major issues, I'd much make the CTO learn to support two windows machines than to have an entire office w/ them.

I also... kinda like it. Until I don't... then I really don't like it. We'll see where that line falls in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back