Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
iMessage worked for me when I tried the new SMBIOS but I also got Memory slot error. Didn't see an error for PCIe slot.

so you reverted back to iMacPro1,1?

Mine is working well with 1201 now with final version of Catalina (with latest update). But as soon as i have time i will test new 2002 version and will tell you about it. ;)

All the best.....and keep 1201 available, just in case.....(I had to use the bios flashback technique when I decided to revert)....

FYI I'll be leaving the hackintosh scene for now and going with a real mac and separate PC build. X299 has been fun but a bit overkill for me and time consuming.

Thanks it's been fun and good luck to everyone! :headbang:

Last edited:
So, today, yet again, another supplemental update for Catalina 10.15.0! Apple has really screwed this one up.......no question. It's really obvious why end users are having trouble with Catalina 10.15.0.....

On my real MacBook Pro (not a hack), the new supp update hung it twice.....not once, but twice with blank screens.....be careful with this one. It just might be better to wait for the 10.15.1 release....

For reference, here's the macrumors article: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/21/apple-revised-catalina-update/

Last edited:
About BIOS on Sage....I tried 2002 BIOS, but I've still freezes in Catalina and Windows 10, too. I decided to ask Amazon for a new motherboard. I'm waiting the new one and hope this time it will be the right time.

bout BIOS on Sage....I tried 2002 BIOS, but I've still freezes in Catalina and Windows 10, too. I decided to ask Amazon for a new motherboard. I'm waiting the new one and hope this time it will be the right time.

I think you're blowing this out of proportion. Usually ASUS WS series boards have better quality control compared to other boards.

Try flashing it again with 2002 with BIOS FLASHBACK feature (and not through the BIOS menu).

Then turn off PC, turn off power switch in back, hold front power button for 15 seconds to flush power.

Then turn on rear PSU power switch, on the motherboard hold CLR_CMOS and then let it go it should boot up with a clean CMOS, then set it up again. See if that works.

LOL! I moved an Asus board from one case to another and then spent two days desperately trying to get it to boot!! I just couldn't believe that it had died!! I tried everything, reset this and that and left unplugged overnight with no CMOS battery. Messing with RAM modules, same modules but just moving them around.

If you are chasing a stability issue then you will want to remove everything you don't absolutely need and see if it runs okay, then add one component at a time. Fortunately for ram there are some really nice tests.

My buddy was a chasing stability problem for weeks and it turned out that the motherboard was overclocking and running all cores at max boost ALL the time. Hitting the thermal and current limits.

Not impossible, but I agree with the other guy that it is highly unlikely it is the motherboard.

BTW, that Asus motherboard? Been working perfect for 3 months now, couldn't be better.

I mention two specific cases, not saying those are your issues, just giving some examples of real life situations. Check everything three times, if you can get in to Windows then run utilities to verify that bios settings are working, that temps and voltages are correct that cpu multipliers and power management is working. You want to go through and make sure the given specs matches the rated specs. Things like only having 2 memory DIMM but installing them in the same memory channel for single channel and instead of separate channels for dual channel. Putting the graphics card in another slot for some reason like an over sized CPU cooler, rather than the primary GPU slot.

I've even seen just reflashing a bios with the same version will solve an issue.

Good luck!

I tried every possible solution...the last is to use flashback BIOS. Even if yesterday I wasn't able to flashback BIOS. (Motherboard turned off, press BIOS flashback button for 3 secs and nothing happened!) Today at work, I discovered that my USB with BIOS (renamed in WSXTG.CAP) was formatted in FAT32 but has 2 EFI partitions. (I used it with Linux.) So that's why flashback didn't started. This will be the last try, and then I will ask for a new mb. RAM is in vendor list (128GB G-skill Ripjaws F4-3000C14Q2-128GVKD). Graphic card is an old GTX680, and other PCI-e cards are WiFi/BT module and USB 3 module like the one used by @izo1

I tried every possible solution...the last is to use flashback BIOS. Even if yesterday I wasn't able to flashback BIOS. (Motherboard turned off, press BIOS flashback button for 3 secs and nothing happened!) Today at work, I discovered that my USB with BIOS (renamed in WSXTG.CAP) was formatted in FAT32 but has 2 EFI partitions. (I used it with Linux.) So that's why flashback didn't started. This will be the last try, and then I will ask for a new mb. RAM is in vendor list (128GB G-skill Ripjaws F4-3000C14Q2-128GVKD). Graphic card is an old GTX680, and other PCI-e cards are WiFi/BT module and USB 3 module like the one used by @izo1.

You need to format the USB flash drive as MBR (FAT32) with Disk Utility and then put the WSXTG.CAP file in the root. It works for me every time. It only doesn't work when I forget and use GUID to format the USB flash drive.

I went from 2001 to 2002 and I was not getting a video signal, then I realized once I got into the BIOS that even after clearing CMOS and applying my pre-saved .CMO file from my USB stick, the Above 4G (AUTO option) was disabled. Enabling that solved all my issues.

Honestly updating BIOS in general is not worth it at all. The only reason I personally do it because I am sick in the head and want it to be the latest. The SAGE10 notes did not say if they updated the microcode for the 10xx CPU line, so not sure what they improved. 1201 was really stable maybe stick to that?

When I don't touch the technical side of a Hackintosh for a few months, I always forget how to troubleshoot haha...

Regardless of all this, you might have a bad mobo. I know I did with the Prime Deluxe II, Designare EX and another Prime Deluxe II. Basically this is my 4th X299 board and I'm pretty happy with it *knock on wood*....but I may end up like @djlild7hina and just sell this whole system and get a Mac Pro when it comes out and just build a SFFPC for gaming.

I'm getting really tired of "troubleshooting" even though I really love this system and it's capabilities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back