Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven’t they said Navi is slower than Radeon VII?!?! What the heck ‘!?

Maybe in gaming performance, but if this score isn't fake, then it seems like a good low end computational card. It's not even the XT version of the card.

Now comes the next question for my new build. 10G is a must I max out on cards quickly on these systems. SAS Raid, Black magic, Thunderbolt, GFX Which motherboard?
ASUS WS X299 Sage/10G?
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II?
ASRock Fatal1ty X299?

This thread is meant to be a continuation of the X299 support Mojave thread and @kgp guide for Mojave.
Major thanks to @kgp for his major effort in keeping the guides updated and his dedication to supporting us. Wish him all the best!

Up and running successfully on Catalina Public Beta 1 in a separate APFS volume.

View attachment 413174

What works:
  • Sleep / Wake
  • Wifi and Bluetooth
  • Handoff, Continuity, AirDrop, Continuity Camera, and Unlock with Apple Watch
  • iMessage, FaceTime, App Store, iTunes Store
  • Ethernet
  • 10 Gb Ethernet
  • HEVC, H.264
  • Onboard audio
  • TRIM
  • USB 2.0 / USB 3.0
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2
  • Thunderbolt 3 w/ hot plug
  • DRM
What doesn’t work:
  • Sidecar
Remember to update your system specs and upload a copy of your EFI folder, BIOS settings, and a copy of your IOREG in order to receive support

Updates:

Update 1: June 24, 2019
Added EFI folder with Clover v4973 and compatible lilu kexts without -lilubetaall

djlild7hina, thanks for your work in providing these downloads. I am not as experienced as most people on this forum so I get into trouble really easy. I've screwed up my Mojave Bootloader that was working perfectly and I would like to build a new Bootloader with Catalina Beta. My question is: Can I use the Catalina Beta installation on my Mac mini to format and build the Bootloader? I question this because KGP instructions are for Mojave?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

djlild7hina, thanks for your work in providing these downloads. I am not as experienced as most people on this forum so I get into trouble really easy. I've screwed up my Mojave Bootloader that was working perfectly and I would like to build a new Bootloader with Catalina Beta. My question is: Can I use the Catalina Beta installation on my Mac mini to format and build the Bootloader? I question this because KGP instructions are for Mojave?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Yes you can create a bootable usb with your Mac mini and copy the efi folder to the efi partition. If you’re trying to fix your Mojave one you can just copy the efi folder on the usb drive and boot from it. Just make sure to update the tscadjust Kext to 35 (7980xe). Hope this helps!

Now comes the next question for my new build. 10G is a must I max out on cards quickly on these systems. SAS Raid, Black magic, Thunderbolt, GFX Which motherboard?
ASUS WS X299 Sage/10G?
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II?
ASRock Fatal1ty X299?

I would go with asus due to more people on it and easy to use uefi bios. The sage/10g has dual 10g ports that are supported (have to use some linux commands to flash it first) plus it has 7 pci e ports.

Couple main quirks about it that I’ve stated a few times
1) thunderbolt card has to be installed in slot-2 since slot-2 is connected to the PCH
2) only one internal usb 3 header so if you have any usb 2 devices, you’ll need a usb pci card or an internal to external USB adapter.
@izo1 can chime in on the deluxe ii but I’ve heard of people having issues with thunderbolt.

Apparently cascade lake x is coming out in the fall that’s also lga 2066 so there may be more boards coming out. Hopefully intel doesn’t limit it to just new processors though so we have more mobo choices.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Yes you can create a bootable usb with your Mac mini and copy the efi folder to the efi partition. If you’re trying to fix your Mojave one you can just copy the efi folder on the usb drive and boot from it. Just make sure to update the tscadjust Kext to 35 (7980xe). Hope this helps!
Does creating a Bootloader for Catalina present any new issues?

Last edited:
Does creating a Bootloader for Catalina present any new issues?

Not that I’m aware of. Updating to Catalina is very easy since it just involves a newer version of clover and updated lilu kexts (currently in dev still if you don’t want to use the -lilubetaall argument)

So, just add the lilu flag and the TSCAdjustmentRest.Kext?

So, just add the lilu flag and the TSCAdjustmentRest.Kext?

If you’re using the EFI folder and Lilu kexts in Post 1, you don’t need the Lilu flag. You’ll still need the tsc kext and update the serial number, board serial number, and smuuid using Clover Configurator.

Thanks so much, I will post my results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back